🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Keeping Warm in Unusual Cold Fronts

Just keeping your ears and feet warm works wonders for the rest of the body. I have a pair of arctic boots designed to work at up to -60° or -80°--- way colder than I could ever hope to see. They are meant to slip your whole foot with shoe on into, but I've used them in weather up to -20°F and I've never kept any shoe on, I just slipped by socked foot in there and didn't even lace them up. And sitting out in that temp for an hour or two, my feet were literally HOT, so hot, I needed to keep the boot loose to let some heat out.

Thats sounds like a great pair to have around in times when weather is unpredictable and power goes out.

I was raised in the snow belt near Lake Erie. Florida is much nicer once you adapt to the heat in the summer.

I was born and raised in Montana. One of the worst times I ever had was when I left for boot camp in Orlando and left in the middle of July. Went from 70 deg. and only around 30 percent humidity to an air conditioned airplane, changed planes in air conditioned airports, and was finally let out in an air conditioned airport in Orlando. When I walked out of the airport in Orlando to head to the base, walked into 95 deg. heat, with around 95 percent humidity. Thought I'd walked into a brick wall.

Took almost the entire time at boot camp to acclimate to the heat. But yeah, once I got used to it, I was allright.

Crazy... As I type this it's 51 degrees, and raining, at 9:00 PM. My weather app says it will be 15 degrees by 3 AM. That's gonna be interesting. Looks like I might be sitting tomorrow out.

My plan to keep warm was implemented at birth. Live in Florida.

However, this weekend it is going to get pretty damn cold for a couple of days because of global cooling.
Are you sure it isn't nuclear winter?

My son and his fiance abruptly left their dogs with us while they vacay in Florida. Abrupt because they had a friend lined up, who backed out due to the freeze her in the Houston area. I thought at least they would be warm, but no such luck.

I was born and raised in Montana. One of the worst times I ever had was when I left for boot camp in Orlando and left in the middle of July. Went from 70 deg. and only around 30 percent humidity to an air conditioned airplane, changed planes in air conditioned airports, and was finally let out in an air conditioned airport in Orlando. When I walked out of the airport in Orlando to head to the base, walked into 95 deg. heat, with around 95 percent humidity. Thought I'd walked into a brick wall.

Took almost the entire time at boot camp to acclimate to the heat. But yeah, once I got used to it, I was allright.
Having lived in Florida for half a century I rarely have that “brick wall” experience you describe when I walk outdoors in the summer. However I did for the first few years I lived here.

Floridians tell me your blood thins out and you adapt. There may be something to that old wive’s tale.

Having lived in Florida for half a century I rarely have that “brick wall” experience you describe when I walk outdoors in the summer. However I did for the first few years I lived here.

Floridians tell me your blood thins out and you adapt. There may be something to that old wive’s tale.

Maybe it was living mainly in the South that thinned my blood out and made me not like dealing with cold anymore. Only had 1 tour that was north of Norfolk VA, and that was Newport RI. Summers were great, but I hated the winters there. Was very happy when that tour ended and I went back to the southern climes.

It did thin out for me. Now was that due to growing older? Or due to moving to Florida? Not sure. But I grew up in the southern tier in NY South of Buffalo, and shoveled snow by the literal ton. As a kid, my friends and I would play out in that shit till after the sun went down. Never really seemed like a problem. Sub zero? Didn't notice. Blizzards were fun! After living in Florida for some years, 20 degrees, and a stiff breeze would have me swearing to God, that I was gonna fucking die!

It did thin out for me. Now was that due to growing older? Or due to moving to Florida? Not sure. But I grew up in the southern tier in NY South of Buffalo, and shoveled snow by the literal ton. As a kid, my friends and I would play out in that shit till after the sun went down. Never really seemed like a problem. Sub zero? Didn't notice. Blizzards were fun! After living in Florida for some years, 20 degrees, and a stiff breeze would have me swearing to God, that I was gonna fucking die!
Several times I went back to Ohio in the winter to visit relatives. The snow was pretty when it first fell but the people really didn’t seem to like it all that much. I really didn’t have winter clothing but I was wearing an Ike Eisenhower military jacket I had picked up in a Good Will for a dollar. I felt warm even though the temperature outside was in the 20x and the ground was covered with several inches of snow.

1671772926955.jpeg

Forum List

Back