🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Keeping Warm in Unusual Cold Fronts

My plan to keep warm was implemented at birth. Live in Florida.

However, this weekend it is going to get pretty damn cold for a couple of days because of global cooling.
Even that is no guarantee. I lived in FL for 14 years. And even there, in the winter, especially on the water; it can get deadly cold.

Even that is no guarantee. I lived in FL for 14 years. And even there, in the winter, especially on the water; it can get deadly cold.

I had to move to Washington for a seven years for my job.

I get colder in Florida when it gets down into the 50s than I got in Washington when it was in the 30s.

I get colder in Florida when it gets down into the 50s than I got in Washington when it was in the 30s.
I don't doubt it. 20 degrees, and wind whipping over open water... Especially after your body has acclimated to very little cold weather... It sucks big time!

You keep responding, roflmao. Look at me , look at me!!!!! Fcking dumbfuck

I have you so well trained!

BackBleakCanary-size_restricted.gif

Maybe its the high humidity?

Could be. I lived on the desert side of Washington State and it was dry most of the time. However, the winter was the wet season with snow and ice.

I guess we also get use to whatever climate we are in.

I guess we also get use to whatever climate we are in.
Being a Florida boy never exposed to cold I was apprehensive about moving to WA. However, I got use to it.

My wife moved to Florida in 1969 from cold Northern Indiana. After a couple of years in Florida she hated cold.

Being a Florida boy never exposed to cold I was apprehensive about moving to WA. However, I got use to it.

My wife moved to Florida in 1969 from cold Northern Indiana. After a couple of years in Florida she hated cold.

I don't like cold either, I can take heat better than most. But I try not to keep AC too low because I work outside a lot.

Yes, but the electric clothing we've seen at Home Depot (Milwaukee brand) doesn't have any elements in the hood. How dumb is that?

Well, considering that the greatest amount of heat leaves via the head, a heating element isn't really required. Simply putting the hood over the head should be sufficient to keep your head and ears warm. A heating element in the hood would be wasted overkill.

I understand. Lived in Montana growing up, and I didn't think it was even close to being cold until the temp was in the 30's. Didn't think much of it being really cold until the mercury was down below 0 F.

However................

Joined the Navy and spent the better part of my 20 plus years in warmer climates and got used to that. Now? Cold isn't something I'm very fond of, matter of fact, have lived in places that are supposed to stay warm all year round now as the thought of dealing with sub zero temps isn't my cup of tea anymore.

That being said, I still know how to deal with cold, even if I don't like it.

For pretty much most of my life, I've always worn a pair of shorts, boots and a hooded sweatshirt all winter. I was extremely fast paced. To the point that people couldn't even walk with me, I'd leave em in the dust. lol.

But ever since I had my thyroid disorder straightened out, I feel the cold now. Have also slowed down. And now I have to wear some jeans and a Carhartt.

I have found that the head and lower extremities are two main targets. A good warm hat and socks & shoes along with leg warmers for men and women is the key. My leg warmers as in wool or thick cloth work great.
Be sure too to have water it helps to hydrate the body. Horse and dogs prove this. Watch how much more water they drink in cold weather verses hot.

Keeping the torso/core warm is the best way to combat the cold.

I understand. Lived in Montana growing up, and I didn't think it was even close to being cold until the temp was in the 30's. Didn't think much of it being really cold until the mercury was down below 0 F.

However................

Joined the Navy and spent the better part of my 20 plus years in warmer climates and got used to that. Now? Cold isn't something I'm very fond of, matter of fact, have lived in places that are supposed to stay warm all year round now as the thought of dealing with sub zero temps isn't my cup of tea anymore.

That being said, I still know how to deal with cold, even if I don't like it.

Thanks, for your service although I hate war I do realize sometimes it is necessary, and respect the warriors, my son was Navy also Iraq War I didn't agree with but didn't tell my son.

If you are inside after being out in the cold, simply placing your hands under warm water will help a great deal to getting you warm again.

Another trick I learned for when a person has to be outside is to place one of those handwarmer pads approximately where your kidneys are. Blood flows through your kidneys quickly and regularly, and warming the area around them will help to keep your blood (and you) warm.

They also now sell vests at Wal Mart for only around 45 bucks that are USB charged, and will keep your torso warm for several hours at a time.

(Notice that 2 of the heating elements on the back are placed where the kidneys are)

That is NOT where your kidneys are located. They are higher than those warming spots, closer to the ribs.

I have found that the head and lower extremities are two main targets. A good warm hat and socks & shoes along with leg warmers for men and women is the key. My leg warmers as in wool or thick cloth work great.
Be sure too to have water it helps to hydrate the body. Horse and dogs prove this. Watch how much more water they drink in cold weather verses hot.
Move to the Free State Of Florida.

I have found that the head and lower extremities are two main targets. A good warm hat and socks & shoes along with leg warmers for men and women is the key.

Just keeping your ears and feet warm works wonders for the rest of the body. I have a pair of arctic boots designed to work at up to -60° or -80°--- way colder than I could ever hope to see. They are meant to slip your whole foot with shoe on into, but I've used them in weather up to -20°F and I've never kept any shoe on, I just slipped by socked foot in there and didn't even lace them up. And sitting out in that temp for an hour or two, my feet were literally HOT, so hot, I needed to keep the boot loose to let some heat out.

Forum List

Back