Kevlar inventor surprisingly not a white male dies at 90

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Hats off to you madam, you saved thousands of lives :eusa_clap:.

Kevlar inventor Stephanie Kwolek, 90, dies

The DuPont scientist's body armor invention is credited with saving thousands of lives.

WILMINGTON, Del. -- Stephanie Kwolek, the DuPont scientist whose invention, Kevlar, has saved countless lives as the essential ingredient in body armor, has died.

Kwolek died Wednesday in Talleyville, Delaware following a brief illness, said her friend, Rita Vasta, who is handling Kwolek's affairs. She was 90.

Kwolek had no remaining family, Vasta said.

"We are all saddened at the passing of DuPont scientist Stephanie Kwolek, a creative and determined chemist and a true pioneer for women in science," DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman said in a written statement Thursday. "Her synthesis of the first liquid crystal polymer and the invention of DuPont Kevlar highlighted a distinguished career."

Kwolek developed Kevlar, a substance five times stronger than steel, by spinning fiber from a liquid crystalline solution. Kevlar's lightweight, durable qualities have made it a long-lived material used in body armor and other protection equipment used by police and the military.

The discovery came in the mid-1960s when Kwolek was 42, working at DuPont's Experimental Station outside of Wilmington to develop a super-strong fiber to reinforce radial tires.

She invented a solution of rigid-chain polymers that fell from her lab spatula like water. The substance was much thinner than most polymers, and when put into a machine could be spun into strong, stiff material.

MORE: Kevlar inventor Stephanie Kwolek, 90, dies

Hats off to you madam, you saved thousands of lives :eusa_clap:.

Kevlar inventor Stephanie Kwolek, 90, dies

The DuPont scientist's body armor invention is credited with saving thousands of lives.

WILMINGTON, Del. -- Stephanie Kwolek, the DuPont scientist whose invention, Kevlar, has saved countless lives as the essential ingredient in body armor, has died.

Kwolek died Wednesday in Talleyville, Delaware following a brief illness, said her friend, Rita Vasta, who is handling Kwolek's affairs. She was 90.

Kwolek had no remaining family, Vasta said.

"We are all saddened at the passing of DuPont scientist Stephanie Kwolek, a creative and determined chemist and a true pioneer for women in science," DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman said in a written statement Thursday. "Her synthesis of the first liquid crystal polymer and the invention of DuPont Kevlar highlighted a distinguished career."

Kwolek developed Kevlar, a substance five times stronger than steel, by spinning fiber from a liquid crystalline solution. Kevlar's lightweight, durable qualities have made it a long-lived material used in body armor and other protection equipment used by police and the military.

The discovery came in the mid-1960s when Kwolek was 42, working at DuPont's Experimental Station outside of Wilmington to develop a super-strong fiber to reinforce radial tires.

She invented a solution of rigid-chain polymers that fell from her lab spatula like water. The substance was much thinner than most polymers, and when put into a machine could be spun into strong, stiff material.

MORE: Kevlar inventor Stephanie Kwolek, 90, dies

RIP Stephanie Kwolek.

In the former Soviet Union and all of the small countries enslaved by it, it was taught to kids in school that just about every invention and every scientific discovery was achieved by a Russian.

In today's America it is promoted that most, if not all inventions and discoveries were done by some former slave black person.

Go, figure.

In the former Soviet Union and all of the small countries enslaved by it, it was taught to kids in school that just about every invention and every scientific discovery was achieved by a Russian.

In today's America it is promoted that most, if not all inventions and discoveries were done by some former slave black person.

Go, figure.

Thats only fair if it were true. They used to pretend only white people did everything. They pretended Egyptians were white and that Columbus discovered America. The OP for example, must have been a victim of that brainwashing as well or he wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
White people didn't invent everything.

However, white people, especially males have given the world far more than their share of modern inventions. We rock. :clap2:

However, white people, especially males have given the world far more than their share of modern inventions. We rock. :clap2:

So how many things have you invented?

Me ? A couple of minor things, nothing earth shattering. A valve packing tool, a brake tool, and a tool that helps simplify the removal of fence posts. Nothing patented, nothing marketed, just my own batch of simplifying certain tasks.

Nothing like a distant relative, Wernher von Braun.

Thats really not something to be proud of seeing as white people especially males have oppressed or wiped out other civilizations. Basically white males have ruled the world for the last 500 or so years so one would expect them to lead in inventions while suppressing others. The world would have undoubtedly seen more inventions with a larger talent pool.

Last edited:

Thats really not something to be proud of seeing as white people especially males have oppressed or wiped out other civilizations. Basically white males have ruled the world for the last 500 or so years so one would expect them to lead in inventions while suppressing others. The world would have undoubtedly seen more inventions with a larger talent pool.

Well at least the communist came along to take the heat off of the rape, torture and killing for fun and profit by white guys(must be a WASP to qualify)...and no we don't allow Jews to join in the fun...

Me ? A couple of minor things, nothing earth shattering. A valve packing tool, a brake tool, and a tool that helps simplify the removal of fence posts. Nothing patented, nothing marketed, just my own batch of simplifying certain tasks.

Oh yea? My distant relative invented fire. That makes my skin color the smartest :thup:

The toilet guy.....

They've had quite a run, haven't they ! :2up:

It's really sad to see the accomplishments and death of an admirable woman being exploited by a vile race baiter such as the OP.

Oh yea? My distant relative invented fire. That makes my skin color the smartest :thup:

Well, I think we're all related to that guy.

Go, figure.

Thats only fair if it were true. They used to pretend only white people did everything. They pretended Egyptians were white and that Columbus discovered America. The OP for example, must have been a victim of that brainwashing as well or he wouldn't be surprised.
Blacks invented grass huts, spears, and rubbing elephant manure on their skin and hair to ward off mosquitos.

But not much since then........ :cool:

Well, I think we're all related to that guy.

It's telling that you assume a "guy" invented fire.

Forum List

Back