Kim Potter Found Guilty

Wrong. She was a trained officer and there is no excuse for her to even have pulled a taser.

There were other options available. Such as letting him drive home then go arrest him since they had his tags.
Byrd was a trained officer that shot when no other officers did. No ones life was in danger because of Babbitt. He got away with murder.

Byrd was a trained officer that shot when no other officers did. No ones life was in danger because of Babbitt. He got away with murder.
Incorrect. Babbit was part of a violent mob who broke into the capital and was trying to break into the speakers chambers. Lives were in danger as that mob broke windows and was trying to break down the doors to the chamber.

False equivalence.

The legal definition of recklessness doesn’t appear to embrace or even consider the mistaking of a gun for a taser. In fact: The converse appears to be true.

There is literally no question that she made the tragic horrifying mistake. The question is whether that particular mistake comports with the legal definition of recklessness. I believe it does not.

If a dolt is playing with a loaded gun (especially knowing that it’s loaded and operable) and stupidly and carelessly fires off some rounds while being unconcerned with the prospect that some living people might be hurt in the process, that’s reckless.

By contrast, here, she had to have both a gun and a taser. She didn’t act recklessly. She made a simple mistake. A tragic one for sure. But just a mistake. By pulling the trigger on the gun (under the mistaken Assumption that she was holding her taser), she didn’t have any reason to believe that anyone was being put at risk of grave injury or death. It wasn’t, in that legal sense, “recklessness” as it is defined in Minnesota’s law.

Because we know that in such thorny legal analyses even judges can make mistakes, there are layers of appellate review. Here, I believe the definition of “recklessness” was either given incorrectly OR the jury failed to apply the actual evidence to the law in a legally acceptable fashion.

I don’t get a vote on their appellate bench. So, we will have to wait and see.
She knew that any interaction with a cop is potentially life ending. It's not unusual for a cop to shoot someone reaching for their license, or making some other innocuous movement, yet she pulled him over for such a ridiculous reason. She even admitted she wouldn't have pulled him over if she didn't have a trainee to show off for. If she wasn't a cop, there would have been no reason to believe she might not have been held responsible.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Incorrect. Babbit was part of a violent mob who broke into the capital and was trying to break into the speakers chambers. Lives were in danger as that mob broke windows and was trying to break down the doors to the chamber.

False equivalence.
Why didn't any other officer shoot? It was intentional and it was murder.

Just a thought. What if she never yelled TAZER! Never claimed she thought is was a TAZER. Said she shot the perp because her partner's life was in danger?

Just a thought. What if she never yelled TAZER! Never claimed she thought is was a TAZER. Said she shot the perp because her partner's life was in danger?
She wasn't even competent enough to quote the usual "get out of jail free" statement that all crooked cops memorize.

Hard to get involuntary when weapon is drawn, aimed at the live guy and then the defendant pulls the trigger and changes the other guy into a dead guy, if nobody else forced you to pull that trigger. Everybody licensed to carry knows you are responsible for every round that leaves your gun.
Besides, she was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, also. They call in manslaughter 2nd degree in minnesota.

Minnesota Second Degree Manslaughter​

Involuntary manslaughter in Minnesota is called manslaughter in the second degree (or second degree manslaughter). This charge covers situations where a person's negligence created an unreasonable risk or where a person consciously took a chance resulting in the death of a person. If convicted, you can face up to 10 years in prison and not more than a $20,000 fine.
That's better but I sure hope her sentences a lot less than they said it could be. I have no doubt whatsoever it was an honest mistake. Accidents happen especially in chaotic life and death situations.

I had no bad feeling about Chauvin's verdict, that was clear cut in my mind. It's ones like these that I feel there are no real winners...it won't bring Daunte back, and it I truly think it was unintentional. And yes, police have to be held to a higher standard.
"Daunte?"

Daunte is right were he belongs, he is solely responsible for his violent criminal behavior which resulted in his departure from earth, Potter made a mistake, and for that mistake an absolute miscarriage of justice was handed down by a group of Mpls citizens, apparently whose only real concern was not getting jammed up for the holiday at a cheap hotel under the close supervision of the sheriff's dept!

Daunte was a low life scumbag heavily involved in gangland criminal conduct, Daunte can now rot his dumb ass in hell, which is right where Daunte belongs, the jury members may ultimately join him there, its obvious there were people on that jury who knew she wasn't guilty of a criminal act, they chose their own comfort over doing justice! ;)

That would have been a lie. But I bet you it would have been justifiable in that situation.

"Daunte?"

Daunte is right were he belongs, he is solely responsible for his violent criminal behavior which resulted in his departure from earth, Potter made a mistake, and for that mistake an absolute miscarriage of justice was handed down by a group of Mpls citizens, apparently whose only real concern was not getting jammed up for the holiday at a cheap hotel under the close supervision of the sheriff's dept!

Daunte was a low life scumbag heavily involved in gangland criminal conduct, Daunte can now rot his dumb ass in hell, which is right where Daunte belongs, the jury members may ultimately join him there, its obvious there were people on that jury who knew she wasn't guilty of a criminal act, they chose their own comfort over doing justice! ;)
I don't know if he really deserves death does anybody ? But I hope they don't try to make him out like some kind of hero that is so sick it isn't funny. We now have two victims as far as I'm concerned.

Kim Potter Found Guilty

For those playing along at home, she was the the cop who shot Daunte Wright because she couldn't tell the difference between her gun and her taser.

This is a good thing.
Daunte Wright was a pimp and a thug who was resisting arrest. Glad he is DEAD ,DEAD,DEAD.

I don't know if he really deserves death does anybody ? But I hope they don't try to make him out like some kind of hero that is so sick it isn't funny. We now have two victims as far as I'm concerned.
Potter should get a Bernie Goetz Medal.

And we would have had none if she would have been competent.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Speaking from afar, I can’t help but see a racial element to it.
Our times make that almost inevitable. As a conservative, I can acknowledge that some law enforcement has been impacted by race and race relations. In the current stage of the national discourse in the topic, it is fashionable to simply claim “institutional racism” and any attempt to say “Hold on; let’s not overstate it” is met with a chorus of “you’re racist” or dismissive and baseless accusations like “white privilege.”

We also see rioting and are lectured to by pols, media and entertainment about how whites are basically the root cause of all such problems. So when a (white) cop makes a horrifying mistake, the community (including the jury pools) may act accordingly. How could they possibly not convict a white cop who wrongly shot a black and unarmed suspect over a traffic matter?

This case was pre-tainted by these things. Potter couldn’t possibly have gotten a fair trial. It’s not that she didn’t do anything wrong. Of course she did something wrong. The issue was whether he conduct qualifies as criminal. Despite the trial verdict by the jury, I don’t believe she did. She obviously can’t be a cop. But I don’t believe she deserves to be in prison either.

Forum List

Back