Lake Superior Road Trip

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm planning a road trip from Pittsburgh to Thunder Bay, Ontario, with a major stop at Mackinaw City, Michigan - probably ferrying to the Island of a similar name. I will be driving over the northern shores of Lake Superior, spending a few days at Thunder Bay, then coming back through Duluth, the Twin Cities, and Chicago (not planning to stop there), then back home.

Anyone know of any interesting things or parks along that route. My total will be six days, but I'm flexible.

I only know the North Shore in MN.
Here is a guide of interesting things in Duluth.

North of Duluth, the drive is very scenic, with State Parks and scenic waterfalls right off the highway.
Split Rock Lighthouse is a popular stop.

Last edited:
I'm planning a road trip from Pittsburgh to Thunder Bay, Ontario, with a major stop at Mackinaw City, Michigan - probably ferrying to the Island of a similar name. I will be driving over the northern shores of Lake Superior, spending a few days at Thunder Bay, then coming back through Duluth, the Twin Cities, and Chicago (not planning to stop there), then back home.

Anyone know of any interesting things or parks along that route. My total will be six days, but I'm flexible.
I frequently visit The Mackinac Bridge by staying at the Parkside INN,[Bridgeview] which overlooks the Bridge and everywhere nearby. There is plenty of places to visit and shop along that area.

Have fun!

I would like to take that trip some day. Let us know how it turns out.

If I could do it over again I would have spent one night at the Grand Hotel. We stayed in St. Ignace for much less but there is not much there, no tourist vibe like the island has. We did spend one night in an old, tiny room on the island, and it was over $300 for a night. At least go on a tour of the Grand, I think it is $10, and never did that either. Did see a lot of other interesting things there, loved the fort up on the hill. Saw the summer vacation home for the governor very near the fort.

The Grand has (allegedly) the largest front porch on any building in the world.

Forum List

Back