Law Enforcement Is Not The Only Deterrent

While the appearance of a "Cop on the beat" as we used to say can be viewed as a deterrent to crime, the Law Enforcement system is not set up to be a deterrent and neither should it be. Morality and education, personal protection and even religion is a deterrent to crime while Law Enforcement is reactive.
Sorry, but seeing police on the street should also provide a deterrent from crimes beig committed...however, in some cities (Chicago/Baltimore) a cop on the street these days is an opportunity to ambush a cop...

While the appearance of a "Cop on the beat" as we used to say can be viewed as a deterrent to crime, the Law Enforcement system is not set up to be a deterrent and neither should it be. Morality and education, personal protection and even religion is a deterrent to crime while Law Enforcement is reactive.
Exactly. That's why they're called "Responders" And so who are the defenders then ? We are.

On the PBS show, “To the Contrary”, Eleanor Holmes Norton, referring to college campuses said, “law enforcement is the only deterrent.”

I disagree. I’m going with the old saying that an “ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” I look at college campuses where it I claimed that 20% of women are experiencing being raped, and I’m amazed that they are gun-free zones.

I’m not sure of women (or anyone) are are even so much as permitted to carry a pepper spray or a stun gun. These are all effective deterrents to rape as well as crimes in general. For colleges to ban them, is just about akin to asking for trouble.

Rapists can be deterred, without police or security personnel, in 2 ways. By being shot, or the fear of being shot. They won’t be deterred by knowing that their intended victim is unarmed and defenseless, in a gun-free zone.
Crossfire, always the best option.

Yep. The more bullets you have flying around the better your chances of hitting a perp.

Everybody else, well hey, they shouldn't have been out there doing normal things. This is a gun culture, not a do-normal-things culture. If they don't learn that it's all their fault.

And yet...with over 15 million Americans carrying guns, that doesn't happen.......gun accidents are going down, not up.....with 15 million people carrying guns....and close to 400 million guns in private hands..we had 489 accidental gun deaths in 2015.......36,000 accidental car deaths...you are safe if you carry a gun and walk...

On the PBS show, “To the Contrary”, Eleanor Holmes Norton, referring to college campuses said, “law enforcement is the only deterrent.”

I disagree. I’m going with the old saying that an “ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” I look at college campuses where it I claimed that 20% of women are experiencing being raped, and I’m amazed that they are gun-free zones.

I’m not sure of women (or anyone) are are even so much as permitted to carry a pepper spray or a stun gun. These are all effective deterrents to rape as well as crimes in general. For colleges to ban them, is just about akin to asking for trouble.

Rapists can be deterred, without police or security personnel, in 2 ways. By being shot, or the fear of being shot. They won’t be deterred by knowing that their intended victim is unarmed and defenseless, in a gun-free zone.

Yep. The more bullets you have flying around the better your chances of hitting a perp.

Everybody else, well hey, they shouldn't have been out there doing normal things. This is a gun culture, not a do-normal-things culture. If they don't learn that it's all their fault.

That's why you aim for center mass and use expanding bullets that lose penetration after a short distance.

A snub revolver has great stopping power close up, and the bullets rapidly lose penetration as they travel, minimizing the impact on people in the surrounding area.
Never know when ya might have to stand your ground against a gallon of milk.

Man accidentally shoots self in leg at Walmart

Man Accidentally Shoots Himself in the Leg at a Phoenix Wal-Mart

Saw some dumbass shopping armed Saturday, fucking pussies, halfwit pussies.

15 million Americans now carry guns for self defense....and gun accidents are going down, not up....but nice lie.....

This culture uses guns 1,500,000 times a year to stop criminal attack and to save lives......a lot more than democrats use guns to commit crimes.

And yet...with over 15 million Americans carrying guns, that doesn't happen.......gun accidents are going down, not up.....with 15 million people carrying guns....and close to 400 million guns in private hands..we had 489 accidental gun deaths in 2015.......36,000 accidental car deaths...you are safe if you carry a gun and walk...

I'm already safe, colostomy bag. Don't need no penile extension, thanks. :gay:

This culture uses guns 1,500,000 times a year to stop criminal attack and to save lives......a lot more than democrats use guns to commit crimes.

Curious........
democrat
[dem-uh-krat]

noun
1. an advocate of democracy.
2. a person who believes in the political or social equality of all people.
3.(initial capital letter) Politics.
  1. a member of the Democratic Party.
  2. a member of the Democratic-Republican Party.
4. Also called democrat wagon. a high, lightweight, horse-drawn wagon, usually having two seats.
So you believe advocates of democracy "use guns to commit crimes" huh.

Or is it one of the other definitions?

Here's a comparison of Pogo encountering a terrorist, with protectionist encountering one.

Pogo : Oh please Mr. Terrorist. Please don't cut my head off. I'll become a Muslim. I'll go to your mosque with you. I'll say the Muslim prayers 5 times a day. I won't consume any alcohol, eat any pork product, and I will be your best man at your wedding of your four 9 year old brides. Just don't kill me, OK ? :crybaby:

Protectionist: Let me see your hands, raghead dirtbag. (he puts his hands in his pocket, pulls out a knife, and comes toward protectionist rapidly) BANG! One less jihadist in the world. Ho hum!
:Boom2::alirulz:

Curious........
democrat
[dem-uh-krat]

noun
4. Also called democrat wagon. a high, lightweight, horse-drawn wagon, usually having two seats.

Sure Democrats use guns to commit crimes. That's how the Clintons killed Mary Mahoney and many others on the Clinton Body Count list.

And that's how Barrack Obanma kileld pepo[le in Irag i ncollusion w Bagd

We have made our problems far more harder to deal with than need be, partly to the 'progressive' agenda of resurrecting the old ideas of 'if it feels ok do it', making society more liberal and 'tolerant' of things other than 'discipline', 'decency', 'morality', etc.

Not really, it's just that you ain't god and don't get to decide, and frankly, ya'll ain't been any kind of role models.
He DOES get to decide, and HE, and millions of other like him, decided on election day.
A minority of the population, yup, and they got Goldman Sachs in the white house anyway, same as it ever was, same as it woulda been with Hil.

That's why you aim for center mass and use expanding bullets that lose penetration after a short distance.

A snub revolver has great stopping power close up, and the bullets rapidly lose penetration as they travel, minimizing the impact on people in the surrounding area.
Never know when ya might have to stand your ground against a gallon of milk.

Man accidentally shoots self in leg at Walmart

Man Accidentally Shoots Himself in the Leg at a Phoenix Wal-Mart

Saw some dumbass shopping armed Saturday, fucking pussies, halfwit pussies.

15 million Americans now carry guns for self defense....and gun accidents are going down, not up....but nice lie.....
Musta all been fake news, thanks for your alternative facts, you can always be counted upon for empty proclamations.

Personal responsibility and self-discipline combined with a moral upbringing is the best deterrent to crime.

Oh I hear ya preaching bruh, but you're full of shit and commited to remaining that way:

"WASHINGTON — Deaths from traffic accidents have dropped dramatically over the last 10 years, while firearm-related fatalities rose for decades before leveling off in the past decade, a USA TODAY analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows.

Meanwhile, the rate of firearms deaths has exceeded traffic fatalities in several states, including Arizona, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Michigan, Nevada and Oregon, records show. The rate is equal in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

FULL COVERAGE: Debate over guns in America

In the United States in 2010, the rate of firearm deaths was 10 people per 100,000, while for traffic accidents it was 12 per 100,000. Firearm-related deaths totaled 31,672 in 2010."

Death rates from guns, traffic accidents converging

Gun Threats and Self-Defense Gun Use

1-3. Guns are not used millions of times each year in self-defense

We use epidemiological theory to explain why the “false positive” problem for rare events can lead to large overestimates of the incidence of rare diseases or rare phenomena such as self-defense gun use. We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence. We find that the claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens is invalid.

Hemenway, David. Survey research and self-defense gun use: An explanation of extreme overestimates. Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. 1997; 87:1430-1445.

Hemenway, David. The myth of millions of annual self-defense gun uses: A case study of survey overestimates of rare events. Chance (American Statistical Association). 1997; 10:6-10.

Cook, Philip J; Ludwig, Jens; Hemenway, David. The gun debate’s new mythical number: How many defensive uses per year? Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. 1997; 16:463-469.

4. Most purported self-defense gun uses are gun uses in escalating arguments, and are both socially undesirable and illegal

We analyzed data from two national random-digit-dial surveys conducted under the auspices of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center. Criminal court judges who read the self-reported accounts of the purported self-defense gun use rated a majority as being illegal, even assuming that the respondent had a permit to own and to carry a gun, and that the respondent had described the event honestly from his own perspective.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah. Gun use in the United States: Results from two national surveys. Injury Prevention. 2000; 6:263-267.

5. Firearms are used far more often to intimidate than in self-defense

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Center, we examined the extent and nature of offensive gun use. We found that firearms are used far more often to frighten and intimidate than they are used in self-defense. All reported cases of criminal gun use, as well as many of the so-called self-defense gun uses, appear to be socially undesirable.

Hemenway, David; Azrael, Deborah. The relative frequency of offensive and defensive gun use: Results of a national survey. Violence and Victims. 2000; 15:257-272.

6. Guns in the home are used more often to intimidate intimates than to thwart crime

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, we investigated how and when guns are used in the home. We found that guns in the home are used more often to frighten intimates than to thwart crime; other weapons are far more commonly used against intruders than are guns.

Azrael, Deborah R; Hemenway, David. In the safety of your own home: Results from a national survey of gun use at home. Social Science and Medicine. 2000; 50:285-91.

7. Adolescents are far more likely to be threatened with a gun than to use one in self-defense

We analyzed data from a telephone survey of 5,800 California adolescents aged 12-17 years, which asked questions about gun threats against and self-defense gun use by these young people. We found that these young people were far more likely to be threatened with a gun than to use a gun in self-defense, and most of the reported self-defense gun uses were hostile interactions between armed adolescents. Males, smokers, binge drinkers, those who threatened others and whose parents were less likely to know their whereabouts were more likely both to be threatened with a gun and to use a gun in self-defense.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew. Gun threats against and self-defense gun use by California adolescents. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 2004; 158:395-400.

8. Criminals who are shot are typically the victims of crime

Using data from a survey of detainees in a Washington D.C. jail, we worked with a prison physician to investigate the circumstances of gunshot wounds to these criminals.

We found that one in four of these detainees had been wounded, in events that appear unrelated to their incarceration. Most were shot when they were victims of robberies, assaults and crossfires. Virtually none report being wounded by a “law-abiding citizen.”

May, John P; Hemenway, David. Oen, Roger; Pitts, Khalid R. When criminals are shot: A survey of Washington DC jail detainees. Medscape General Medicine. 2000; June 28. www.medscape.com

9-10. Few criminals are shot by decent law-abiding citizens

Using data from surveys of detainees in six jails from around the nation, we worked with a prison physician to determine whether criminals seek hospital medical care when they are shot. Criminals almost always go to the hospital when they are shot. To believe fully the claims of millions of self-defense gun uses each year would mean believing that decent law-abiding citizens shot hundreds of thousands of criminals. But the data from emergency departments belie this claim, unless hundreds of thousands of wounded criminals are afraid to seek medical care. But virtually all criminals who have been shot went to the hospital, and can describe in detail what happened there.

May, John P; Hemenway, David. Oen, Roger; Pitts, Khalid R. Medical Care Solicitation by Criminals with Gunshot Wound Injuries: A Survey of Washington DC Jail Detainees. Journal of Trauma. 2000; 48:130-132.

May, John P; Hemenway, David. Do Criminals Go to the Hospital When They are Shot? Injury Prevention. 2002; 8:236-238.

11. Self-defense gun use is rare and not more effective at preventing injury than other protective actions

Victims use guns in less than 1% of contact crimes, and women never use guns to protect themselves against sexual assault (in more than 300 cases). Victims using a gun were no less likely to be injured after taking protective action than victims using other forms of protective action. Compared to other protective actions, the National Crime Victimization Surveys provide little evidence that self-defense gun use is uniquely beneficial in reducing the likelihood of injury or property loss.

This article helps provide accurate information concerning self-defense gun use. It shows that many of the claims about the benefits of gun ownership are largely myths.

Hemenway D, Solnick SJ. The epidemiology of self-defense gun use: Evidence from the National Crime Victimization Surveys 2007-2011. Preventive Medicine. 2015; 79: 22-27.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/

Chart of the day: U.S. gun and traffic deaths over time

Last edited:

Nope, not at all, just more shyte from a whiney little bitch that won't research jack:

We use epidemiological theory to explain why the “false positive” problem for rare events can lead to large overestimates of the incidence of rare diseases or rare phenomena such as self-defense gun use. We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence. We find that the claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens is invalid.

Hemenway, David. Survey research and self-defense gun use: An explanation of extreme overestimates. Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. 1997; 87:1430-1445.

Hemenway, David. The myth of millions of annual self-defense gun uses: A case study of survey overestimates of rare events. Chance (American Statistical Association). 1997; 10:6-10.

Cook, Philip J; Ludwig, Jens; Hemenway, David. The gun debate’s new mythical number: How many defensive uses per year? Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. 1997; 16:463-469.

4. Most purported self-defense gun uses are gun uses in escalating arguments, and are both socially undesirable and illegal

We analyzed data from two national random-digit-dial surveys conducted under the auspices of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center. Criminal court judges who read the self-reported accounts of the purported self-defense gun use rated a majority as being illegal, even assuming that the respondent had a permit to own and to carry a gun, and that the respondent had described the event honestly from his own perspective.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah. Gun use in the United States: Results from two national surveys. Injury Prevention. 2000; 6:263-267.

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Center, we examined the extent and nature of offensive gun use. We found that firearms are used far more often to frighten and intimidate than they are used in self-defense. All reported cases of criminal gun use, as well as many of the so-called self-defense gun uses, appear to be socially undesirable.

Hemenway, David; Azrael, Deborah. The relative frequency of offensive and defensive gun use: Results of a national survey. Violence and Victims. 2000; 15:257-272.

6. Guns in the home are used more often to intimidate intimates than to thwart crime

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, we investigated how and when guns are used in the home. We found that guns in the home are used more often to frighten intimates than to thwart crime; other weapons are far more commonly used against intruders than are guns.

Azrael, Deborah R; Hemenway, David. In the safety of your own home: Results from a national survey of gun use at home. Social Science and Medicine. 2000; 50:285-91.

7. Adolescents are far more likely to be threatened with a gun than to use one in self-defense

We analyzed data from a telephone survey of 5,800 California adolescents aged 12-17 years, which asked questions about gun threats against and self-defense gun use by these young people. We found that these young people were far more likely to be threatened with a gun than to use a gun in self-defense, and most of the reported self-defense gun uses were hostile interactions between armed adolescents. Males, smokers, binge drinkers, those who threatened others and whose parents were less likely to know their whereabouts were more likely both to be threatened with a gun and to use a gun in self-defense.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew. Gun threats against and self-defense gun use by California adolescents. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 2004; 158:395-400.

Using data from a survey of detainees in a Washington D.C. jail, we worked with a prison physician to investigate the circumstances of gunshot wounds to these criminals.

We found that one in four of these detainees had been wounded, in events that appear unrelated to their incarceration. Most were shot when they were victims of robberies, assaults and crossfires. Virtually none report being wounded by a “law-abiding citizen.”

May, John P; Hemenway, David. Oen, Roger; Pitts, Khalid R. When criminals are shot: A survey of Washington DC jail detainees. Medscape General Medicine. 2000; June 28. www.medscape.com

Using data from surveys of detainees in six jails from around the nation, we worked with a prison physician to determine whether criminals seek hospital medical care when they are shot. Criminals almost always go to the hospital when they are shot. To believe fully the claims of millions of self-defense gun uses each year would mean believing that decent law-abiding citizens shot hundreds of thousands of criminals. But the data from emergency departments belie this claim, unless hundreds of thousands of wounded criminals are afraid to seek medical care. But virtually all criminals who have been shot went to the hospital, and can describe in detail what happened there.

May, John P; Hemenway, David. Oen, Roger; Pitts, Khalid R. Medical Care Solicitation by Criminals with Gunshot Wound Injuries: A Survey of Washington DC Jail Detainees. Journal of Trauma. 2000; 48:130-132.

May, John P; Hemenway, David. Do Criminals Go to the Hospital When They are Shot? Injury Prevention. 2002; 8:236-238.

11. Self-defense gun use is rare and not more effective at preventing injury than other protective actions

Victims use guns in less than 1% of contact crimes, and women never use guns to protect themselves against sexual assault (in more than 300 cases). Victims using a gun were no less likely to be injured after taking protective action than victims using other forms of protective action. Compared to other protective actions, the National Crime Victimization Surveys provide little evidence that self-defense gun use is uniquely beneficial in reducing the likelihood of injury or property loss.

This article helps provide accurate information concerning self-defense gun use. It shows that many of the claims about the benefits of gun ownership are largely myths.

Hemenway D, Solnick SJ. The epidemiology of self-defense gun use: Evidence from the National Crime Victimization Surveys 2007-2011. Preventive Medicine. 2015; 79: 22-27.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/

Curious........
democrat
[dem-uh-krat]

noun

Sure Democrats use guns to commit crimes. That's how the Clintons killed Mary Mahoney and many others on the Clinton Body Count list.

And that's how Barrack Obanma kileld pepo[le in Irag i ncollusion w Bagd

Actually he said "democrats". Small D.

Don't take my word for it, see the original:

Here's a comparison of Pogo encountering a terrorist, with protectionist encountering one.

Pogo : Oh please Mr. Terrorist. Please don't cut my head off. I'll become a Muslim. I'll go to your mosque with you. I'll say the Muslim prayers 5 times a day. I won't consume any alcohol, eat any pork product, and I will be your best man at your wedding of your four 9 year old brides. Just don't kill me, OK ? :crybaby:

Protectionist: Let me see your hands, raghead dirtbag. (he puts his hands in his pocket, pulls out a knife, and comes toward protectionist rapidly) BANG! One less jihadist in the world. Ho hum!
:Boom2::alirulz:

Here's the actual difference between you and me, fantasy-boi. I've actually met, traveled with, worked with and socialized with people who happened to be Muslim.

I might add, at no time did either terrorism, or religion, ever come up. Nor did guns, knives or any other offensive weapon.

Food came up Women came up. Work came up. Language came up. You know, like normal people.
Who knew, right?

The only belligerents who ever threatened me with firearms were cops. We really didn't discuss religion there either. Obviously when a perp points a gun at you the first thing to think is "wait --- what's your religion? I gotta know".

Didn't even think of it. Musta been preoccupied. Opportunity lost. :(

Nope, not at all, just more shyte from a whiney little bitch that won't research jack:

Oh I hear ya preaching bruh, but you're full of shit and commited to remaining that way:

"WASHINGTON — Deaths from traffic accidents have dropped dramatically over the last 10 years, while firearm-related fatalities rose for decades before leveling off in the past decade, a USA TODAY analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows.

Meanwhile, the rate of firearms deaths has exceeded traffic fatalities in several states, including Arizona, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Michigan, Nevada and Oregon, records show. The rate is equal in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

In the United States in 2010, the rate of firearm deaths was 10 people per 100,000, while for traffic accidents it was 12 per 100,000. Firearm-related deaths totaled 31,672 in 2010."

See....your lies are many and my time is limited.....hemenway uses the National Crime Victimization Survey for his numbers......a study that is not a defensive gun use study...it studies crime victims....and it never asks about defensive gun use....doesn't even use the word gun at all.....even left wing DailyKos shows how full of crap hemenway is...

The Daily Kos on why the NCVS is wrong...
Defensive Gun Use Part III - The National Crime Victimization Study

The disadvantages of this study design are:
1) the study is not specifically designed to measure DGUs;

2) the study does not track every type of crime;

3) the study does not ask every interviewee about episodes of DGU;

4) interviewees are not specifically asked about defending themselves with a gun;

5) follow-up studies have demonstrated that the incidence of assault (and especially assaults by relatives and non-strangers) in the NCVS is under-reported, and if crime is under-reported then so too will DGUs be under-reported;

6) respondents’ anonymity is not preserved, and some interviewees may therefore feel wary or unwilling to discuss gun use with federal government employees.

And yes.....the research shows that Americans use guns on average 1,500,000 times a year.....here are the studies.....hemenway only uses the National Crime Victimization Study....again, a study that doesn't ask about defensive gun use...doesn't even use the word gun in the study.....yet that is the one he uses because it gives the lowest number...as opposed to these actual gun studies that specifically ask about defensive gun use.......

Self defense with a gun......40 years of actual research...first is the name of the group that conducted the research, then the year, then the number of defensive gun uses and finally wether the research contained police or military defensive gun uses....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

9-10........do you know how stupid it is to measure defensive gun use by how many criminals are shot.....? the majority of defensive gun uses are people drawing their weapon and the criminal running away......or they hold the criminal for police......

Hemenway is a long time hack.....he lies.....as I showed you with the NCVS research that he uses....it isn't even close to being accurate...but thanks for using the one hack that has a long paper trail on his hack research...

and of course they lie with these stats...once again using Suicide to increase their numbers.......the only way they get gun death numbers higher than traffic death numbers......and since suicides do not count...considering that Japan, China, and South Korea all have higher sucide rates than we do.....and they have absolute gun control in those countries......only criminals and cops have guns....the gun isn't the issue...

And here....directly from the CDC.....the actual numbers of car accident deaths vs. gun accident deaths........

You are also given Gun murder vs. Car Deaths......

Leading Causes of Death | WISQARS | Injury Center | CDC
Total car accidental death....

Total car accidental death....

2015....36,161--------- Gun murder 9,616
2014....33,736 -------- Gun murder 8,312
2013....33,804-------- Gun murder 8,454
2012....34,935 ------- Gun murder 8,897

Accidental gun deaths...

2013 ..... 505
2012 ..... 548
2011 ..... 591
2010 ..... 606
2009 ..... 554
2008 ..... 592
2007..... 613
2006..... 642
2005 ..... 789
2004 ..... 649
2003 ..... 730
2002 ..... 762
2001 ..... 802
2000 ..... 776
1999 ..... 824

Guns don't actually kill as many Americans as cars

It didn't happen in 2014 because gun deaths didn't rise as quickly as anticipated in the CDC's 10-year average and because car deaths didn't fall as quickly as projected. And the missed convergence doesn't merely delay the inevitable until next year's figures arrive.

Firearm deaths have plateaued over the past three years, while early estimates show traffic fatalities will increase by 8 to 14 percent, the sharpest year-over-year rise in more than six decades. It's possible the lines won't cross for the foreseeable future.

A 137-death difference aside, you still might be tempted to interpret the numbers to mean the likelihood of dying in a motor-vehicle crash is approximately the same as dying at the hands of a gunman. In the abstract, that's correct.

But none of the 33,736 killed in motor-vehicle crashes intended to die when they departed on their morning commutes or stepped off the curb to cross the street. The total number of gun deaths reported, however, includes those who used firearms to commit suicide.

Suicides comprised 71.6 percent of the total number of firearm deaths in 2014. If you remove those 21,334 deaths from the comparison and only examine unintentional deaths, you get a far different idea of your chances of dying in a traffic crash versus at the hands of a gunman.

Evaluate those 33,736 motor-vehicle deaths against the 12,265 non-suicide gunshot deaths – those that include homicides, "legal interventions" (as the CDC calls them), accidental shootings, and undetermined deaths – and it would appear that traffic fatalities, in sheer number, are a much greater blight upon America than non-suicide gun deaths.

That's not what you'd expect, of course. Traffic deaths get scant attention, usually relegated to the inside pages of a local newspaper unless they're particularly unusual. But our narrow focus on how people die has led us astray from the sheer number of people dying via one method or the other, and as such, distorted our perception and response to the threats.

Terrorism, for example, caused zero deaths on US soil in 2014, according to CDC figures, and only three deaths in the five-year stretch between 2010 and 2014.

Yet the Department of Homeland Security's budget reached $59.9 billion in 2014. TheNational Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the federal agency charged with keeping motorists safe, received $819 million.

Lest you think gun deaths and motor vehicle crashes are vying for the dubious title of top cause of unintentional fatalities in America, that distinction belongs to drug overdoses, which killed a whopping 42,032 Americans in 2014, mostly from prescription pain medications, according to the National Safety Council. "The United States is in the midst of a prescription painkiller overdose epidemic," the CDC said in a recent report.

Forum List

Back