Lawnmower Crisis

Lawn tractors are slower and leave wider swaths of grass needing weedeater-ing. Zero turn lawnmowers cut about twice as fast as lawn tractors do. I've used tractors before...they are OK. The big motor in front and turning in the front will get the job done...but zero turns turn on a dime. Because lawns are full of obstacles like trees, flower beds, old stumps and garden gnomes. And I'd just prefer to have one.

And where I was looking for a used one for a month now...there really aren't any available for a reasonable price...they all have issues needing repairs if there is one available making the total price and hassle much higher.
So against my normal method....I'm going to have to get a new one. I really do like used.

I've been researching....
And so far the ones with the best service record are scag, hustler, and big boy. These are the ones that start and mow the lawn more consistently than the others. Fewer reported issues despite the hype of the marketing. Fewer maintenance or repair issues as well. Even when they get older....but these three tend to be less frills and thrills than the other ones....especially the hustler. Which is likely the way I'm going to go. It's a louder machine. Rougher ride too. But built like a beast. Also tends to be the cheapest of those three.

Husqvarna and Deer are OK machines. I've driven or used both in the past and they have good reputations. However lately Deer has not been the same company as they once were....dropping parts and service for whole lines of equipment. And that makes getting parts/repairs very difficult. I know of one currently needing a transmission just sitting and waiting for one if and when one can be found. (My FIL's....one I tried to borrow until i can get my own)

The Husqvarna is fairly reliable to start. But then those ZT machines also tend to have features that break and need repair/replacement. (They are nice though and the ride is much nicer) They also tend to be about $1k-1500 more than a comparable machine from the three I mentioned above.

Almost went cub cadet because of the price....but the constant blades needing replacement and the other hassles with the machine as they age made me change my mind. The engines and transmissions are not configured correctly....the engines can end up cracking on them after a long service.
It's all about belts, blades, and bearings. Occasionally a starter motor. Then it's safety switches....because if one goes out you gotta get a replacement.
You're looking @ $1000- $3000 used then. What you want is a homeowner that got one and realized they didn't need that much mower.

They're around, but not the uh..majority of the time.

Skag, Deere, Toro, Dixie Chopper, Craftsman. Whatever. :dunno:

You're looking @ $1000- $3000 used then. What you want is a homeowner that got one and realized they didn't need that much mower.

Yeah...that's what I was thinking....if only there were any available. The local dealers usually carry used...but they are out. Which is outside the norm. It figures because for the first time in a long time I'm actually needing one.

The proverbial needles in the haystack are overpriced at almost new prices currently. And you have to drive a long way to even look at them.

So that's why I'm going to grab a new one.

If CA's movement catches on, it might be a good idea to investigate electric options. CA is banning the sale of small internal combustion motors. I have seen a marked increase in electric lawn mower advertisements in my area. California Governor Bans Internal Combustion Engines, Effective 2035, to Combat Climate Change | Insights | Holland & Knight

Yeah...that's what I was thinking....if only there were any available. The local dealers usually carry used...but they are out. Which is outside the norm. It figures because for the first time in a long time I'm actually needing one.

The proverbial needles in the haystack are overpriced at almost new prices currently. And you have to drive a long way to even look at them.

So that's why I'm going to grab a new one.
That can get spendy. You do you; I'm a cheapass.

I sold a Husqvarna 48" for $650, bought it for $500

If you're bitching about weedeater time, you need a better weedeater platform.

Nothing wrong with a good zero turn. But for 1 acre? :dunno:

I've seen people do 2 1/2 with a self-propelled Honda. The kind with the "clog-it" deck.

IMO a bad design, but they got it done with it. LMAO! They started out with cheap riders, not no Deere or Husqvarna,

like Murray or Bolens and like that (and wore 2 out)..then moved to the self-propelled 22" Honda with "gonna clog" deck for years.

I think they have something they pull behind a 4-wheeler now. With modified linkage.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a good zero turn. But for 1 acre? :dunno:
Yeah....because I got family in the area...and if I get a lawnmower that runs its going to get borrowed. My family has a dozen different farms and lawns in the immediate area. My immediate family has 4 of them. Aunts and uncles make up the rest with cousins not included. If I count them it's even more. And borrowing is the expected norm. (Plus they all would be itching just to try it out)
Those farm lawns start at 2 acres. Which is why I think I need a beefy mower....some lawns don't get mowed unless the county makes them. (They send a warning letter first)

If it was just me and my lawn...probably would go that way...but it isn't like that and I got the rest of the family to think about too. Kinda atypical these days...but it's OK. When I need to borrow stuff it's just a matter of asking. That includes hunting privileges, fishing in private lakes, borrowing heavy duty trailers and other equipment...even tractors if need be.
Community property is an understatement around here. But they show up at harvest time and etc.
All for one and one for all...but we are gonna talk about you behind your back. It the countryside...very rural area.

Yeah....because I got family in the area...and if I get a lawnmower that runs its going to get borrowed. My family has a dozen different farms and lawns in the immediate area. My immediate family has 4 of them. Aunts and uncles make up the rest with cousins not included. If I count them it's even more. And borrowing is the expected norm. (Plus they all would be itching just to try it out)
Those farm lawns start at 2 acres. Which is why I think I need a beefy mower....some lawns don't get mowed unless the county makes them. (They send a warning letter first)

If it was just me and my lawn...probably would go that way...but it isn't like that and I got the rest of the family to think about too. Kinda atypical these days...but it's OK. When I need to borrow stuff it's just a matter of asking. That includes hunting privileges, fishing in private lakes, borrowing heavy duty trailers and other equipment...even tractors if need be.
Community property is an understatement around here. But they show up at harvest time and etc.
All for one and one for all...but we are gonna talk about you behind your back. It the countryside...very rural area.
You better get something heavy duty then. Something that might not be FUBAR if you hit a stump that wasn't cut low enough.

Small/Medium tractor with a bush hog, probably. Zero turns are are not for you know..like mowing 15 acres n stuff.

Maybe for mowing just around your house on the acres..anything more and you need the real deal.

You better get something heavy duty then. Something that might not be FUBAR if you hit a stump that wasn't cut low enough.

Small/Medium tractor with a bush hog, probably. Zero turns are are not for you know..like mowing 15 acres n stuff.

Maybe for mowing just around your house on the acres..anything more and you need the real deal.
Yeah....Gramps has a JD 550? and a bush hogging attachment that gets used sometimes. He's got another big tractor but I'm thinking it's not working. Uncle has a Holland? (Cant remember....its blue) about that same size....Aunt and hubby have a hay cut and baller for either horses or cattle with their farms. Of course the tractors to run it all too. Also got a small sawmill...probably gonna take advantage of the lumber being close. I got some house and shed repairs to do.

Yeah....Gramps has a JD 550? and a bush hogging attachment that gets used sometimes. He's got another big tractor but I'm thinking it's not working. Uncle has a Holland? (Cant remember....its blue) about that same size....Aunt and hubby have a hay cut and baller for either horses or cattle with their farms. Of course the tractors to run it all too. Also got a small sawmill...probably gonna take advantage of the lumber being close. I got some house and shed repairs to do.
New Holland. That's what my friend had, a medium one. It used to be International Harvester.

I just learned of how Carter killed International Harvester like a week or 2 ago.

My friend was smart, he had a hook welded to the top of the bucket, that thing was very handy, and nothing made him happier

than me loading his tractor to the point of 3-wheeley. :auiqs.jpg:

I can still see him now, just smilin' n' drivin'.

This song is for him:

He didn't need no woman, he just needed that tractor to make him happy.

That tractor made that man happy as could be. I swear to God!

Oh God I miss him. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back