Learning Recovery Stalls

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011

Student recovery from pre-pandemic levels seems to have stalled out. The pandemic years set students back considerably, but it was hoped that they would have caught back up by now. I can tell you that this is true. Many individual students have caught up, or were able to keep up throughout Covid, but on average too many students are still not where they should be. The consequences of decisions made in response to Covid are likely to be felt for at least a generation.

Here I thought you were referring to recovering an airplane from a stall. In a Cessna 150 a little right rudder will do it (or was that left rudder, it's been a while). :)

Student recovery from pre-pandemic levels seems to have stalled out. The pandemic years set students back considerably, but it was hoped that they would have caught back up by now. I can tell you that this is true. Many individual students have caught up, or were able to keep up throughout Covid, but on average too many students are still not where they should be. The consequences of decisions made in response to Covid are likely to be felt for at least a generation.
The kids wanted to be in school, but the teachers didn't.

What 'fixes' would you impliment for recovery progress.
Take away all electronic devices, and shut down the internet.

Force kids to read from books, and learn to write (print and cursive,) on paper.

Reading on Paper and Digitally: What the Past Decades of Empirical Research Reveal​

Reading Across Mediums: Effects of Reading Digital and Print Texts on Comprehension and Calibration​

Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens​

Most studies point to better reading comprehension from printed material, researcher says

Why learning from books is better than learning from the internet.​

1722795716929.png

Handwriting Shows Unexpected Benefits Over Typing​

A hammer is useless, unless you first have the muscle to use it.

Playing to teh tests?

It will all work out. Most people learn most of what they know after leave school.

Force kids to read from books, and learn to write (print and cursive,) on paper.

Reading on Paper and Digitally: What the Past Decades of Empirical Research Reveal​

Reading Across Mediums: Effects of Reading Digital and Print Texts on Comprehension and Calibration​

Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens​

Most studies point to better reading comprehension from printed material, researcher says

Why learning from books is better than learning from the internet.​

View attachment 989965

Handwriting Shows Unexpected Benefits Over Typing​

That's true about writing by hand. Some of my students want to submit all their assignments online, but I balance that with hand written work. That doesn't mean we should waste time on cursive.
'

You can't shut down the internet entirely. A lot of work needs to be done through an online portal where grades are kept and calculated. However, I build in time in my curricula for my classes to go to the school library and do research with real books and real paper.

Forum List

Back