Learning to shoot

So how did that happen?
Yanking the shit out of it on reloads just trying to move as fast as possible. I've been shooting a LOT.
11313.jpg

My only problem right now is speed. Reloads as well as lining up that shot takes me longer than I like. I was expecting eyesight to be super important, but muscle memory, grip and trigger control seem to be way more important. This is a lot more fun than I expected
As a range safety officer, competitor and self-defense shooter…. YOU CANT SHOOT FAST ENOUGH TO MISS. Speed and fluidity will come with time. Accuracy is always the most paramount thing when shooting (after safety of course).

YOU CANT SHOOT FAST ENOUGH TO MISS. Speed and fluidity will come with time.
That's what my grandpa keeps saying. I'm never satisfied. I want to master this. That old man makes me feel like I'm moving in slow motion, especially on the fast draw.

Last edited:
That's what my grandpa keeps saying. I'm never satisfied. I want to master this.
You will be starting on that journey after the FIRST 10,000 rounds you shoot.

Shooting is a magnificent sport activity. You’ll meet some of the most gracious and helpful people in the world; and if you don’t screw them over they’ll be friends for life.

You will be starting on that journey after the FIRST 10,000 rounds you shoot.

Shooting is a magnificent sport activity. You’ll meet some of the most gracious and helpful people in the world; and if you don’t screw them over they’ll be friends for life.
I'm shooting a Smith and Wesson. The old man swears by it. Your thoughts?

I'm shooting a Smith and Wesson. The old man swears by it. Your thoughts?
My first thought is… you shoot the gun that feels right in your hand. Everyone is a little different.

Overall, S&W is a great gunmaker. I prefer their revolvers over their semi-autos, but I own both. My last competition gun was a S&W M&P 9mm. If I were to go back to shooting competitively, I’d probity a Sig Sauer P226 (old style). That’s the gun I learned to shoot competitors with.

My carry guns are a S&W Airweight 5 shot revolver in .357 and a Ruger Service Six revolver in .357 magnum.

Been at it for a week or so. I can reliably hit the vital zones on a silhouette target from 30 yds with a 9mm pistol. My grandpa thinks I'm pretty good. Thinking it might be cool to be some kind of firearms instructor some day.

My only problem right now is speed. Reloads as well as lining up that shot takes me longer than I like. I was expecting eyesight to be super important, but muscle memory, grip and trigger control seem to be way more important. This is a lot more fun than I expected.

What's your percentage from the free throw line?

Been at it for a week or so. I can reliably hit the vital zones on a silhouette target from 30 yds with a 9mm pistol. My grandpa thinks I'm pretty good. Thinking it might be cool to be some kind of firearms instructor some day.

My only problem right now is speed. Reloads as well as lining up that shot takes me longer than I like. I was expecting eyesight to be super important, but muscle memory, grip and trigger control seem to be way more important. This is a lot more fun than I expected.
While shooting a pistol at a target 30 yards away or more with accuracy is impressive, you will probably never be shooting from that distance in any self defense situation.

It might be that the range is part of your target acquisition speed being slower than you'd like.

Forum List

Back