Learning to shoot

While shooting a pistol at a target 30 yards away or more with accuracy is impressive, you will probably never be shooting from that distance in any self defense situation.

It might be that the range is part of your target acquisition speed being slower than you'd like.
Today I tried .25 intervals at 5 yards and that shit is hard. I was all over the place. Completely lost my grip.

It doesn't lock open after the last shot?
It does. My grandpa said not to release it with the slide button because it can create a malfunction. So instead I rack it back and let it loose like that after I fill it with a new magazine.

It does. My grandpa said not to release it with the slide button because it can create a malfunction. So instead I rack it back and let it loose like that after I fill it with a new magazine.

The pistol does that everytime you pull the trigger.
It's no different than palming the release on an AR after you put in a new Mag.
Ya gotta remember,a lot of things our Grandpas recommend may not apply in todays weapons.

Been at it for a week or so. I can reliably hit the vital zones on a silhouette target from 30 yds with a 9mm pistol. My grandpa thinks I'm pretty good. Thinking it might be cool to be some kind of firearms instructor some day.

My only problem right now is speed. Reloads as well as lining up that shot takes me longer than I like. I was expecting eyesight to be super important, but muscle memory, grip and trigger control seem to be way more important. This is a lot more fun than I expected.
What is your budget? If you have the budget take classes from Stoegar or similar. If you don't go to his web and order the basic books.

30 yards on an upper body human silhouette target. My grandpa is a very talented marksman. He participates in competitions and stuff. He's been focusing a lot on grip and trigger pull with me. Like I said though that shot takes me some time to line up and do right. At 30 feet I can tear the target's heart out. He says I have excellent accuracy but I feel very slow. Also everything I've done so far has been stationary.
Start practicing movement. Move and shoot, and shoot while moving. Practice 2 and three shot taps. Go to a competition: either run and gun (USPSA) or waddle and shoot (IDPA).

It depends on the pistol and size of your hand. Do whichever is comfortable and faster to you.

Practice clearing malfunctions ( tap rack and drop mag/rack). Guns do malfunction.

Been at it for a week or so. I can reliably hit the vital zones on a silhouette target from 30 yds with a 9mm pistol. My grandpa thinks I'm pretty good. Thinking it might be cool to be some kind of firearms instructor some day.

My only problem right now is speed. Reloads as well as lining up that shot takes me longer than I like. I was expecting eyesight to be super important, but muscle memory, grip and trigger control seem to be way more important. This is a lot more fun than I expected.

Practice reloading and lining up your shots slowly. Get the mechanics down. Learn to do the exact same thing every time slowly. Speed is worthless if you can't do it over and over.

If you don't like shooting that is fine. But why spoil his fun with negative comments in a thread specifically about shooting?

Oh please. What is this, don't hurt the feeling of people by saying you don't like something day?

I'll say whatever I like, thank you very much.

Oh please. What is this, don't hurt the feeling of people by saying you don't like something day?

I'll say whatever I like, thank you very much.

Yeah, it is. Sure, you can say what you want, within certain parameters. But pointless hostility is a waste of time and energy.

Yeah, it is. Sure, you can say what you want, within certain parameters. But pointless hostility is a waste of time and energy.

And would you not say your aggressive comments to me are also not "pointless hostility" and "a waste of time and energy"?

Works both ways dude.

And would you not say your aggressive comments to me are also not "pointless hostility" and "a waste of time and energy"?

Works both ways dude.

No, it doesn't. This thread has a specific topic. And you come in with your bullshit, calling it boring and that he would someday wish he had spent his time better.

My calling you out is not even close to the same thing.

No, it doesn't. This thread has a specific topic. And you come in with your bullshit, calling it boring and that he would someday wish he had spent his time better.

My calling you out is not even close to the same thing.

Right, get this.

Someone writes a thread about learning to shoot. Literally we're talking about learning to shoot.

I make a comment saying that instead of shooting that person could be doing something fun or interesting.

Then you come along and start attacking me.

I was talking about the topic. You might not like my comment, it might not be what you'd say, but it was on the topic. What you said had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic. It was attacking me.

You want people to talk about the topic, but YOU are not talking about the topic. ONLY YOU!!!!!

Right, get this.

Someone writes a thread about learning to shoot. Literally we're talking about learning to shoot.

I make a comment saying that instead of shooting that person could be doing something fun or interesting.

Then you come along and start attacking me.

I was talking about the topic. You might not like my comment, it might not be what you'd say, but it was on the topic. What you said had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic. It was attacking me.

You want people to talk about the topic, but YOU are not talking about the topic. ONLY YOU!!!!!

You make a post assuming that everyone should be interested or have fun doing the same things you like. You assume it will be boring for everyone, because it is boring for you.

Again, a waste of time and no reason for the post.

Forum List

Back