Legal Help Needed: US Citizenship Claim Through Father with Limited Documentation

Aug 24, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to seek legal advice regarding my attempt to claim US citizenship through my father.

Background: My father was a US citizen and held a US passport during my childhood. I was born outside the United States, and I'm currently trying to obtain US citizenship through him. Unfortunately, I lack direct documentation proving his US citizenship, and to complicate matters, I don’t believe he met the residency requirement of 10 years in the US, with at least 5 of those years after the age of 14, which the law seems to mandate for me to be eligible.

Steps I’ve taken:

I submitted my application to the US embassy, including my birth certificate and a family register.
I requested their assistance in verifying my father’s US citizenship, but I’m concerned that the residency requirement will disqualify me.

Additional Concerns: I am also deeply concerned about my safety in Germany. The country feels increasingly unsafe due to the rising number of violent incidents involving migrants, and I fear for my life every day. This makes obtaining US citizenship even more urgent for me, as I seek to move to a safer environment.

I’m looking for advice on the following:

Are there any legal precedents or alternative paths to claim citizenship despite not meeting the residency requirement?
What additional steps or documentation should I consider to strengthen my case?
Would it be advisable to seek legal representation at this stage?

I'm feeling quite overwhelmed by the complexity of the situation and the growing insecurity in Germany. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or similar experiences that anyone here can share.

Thank you in advance for your help!

i hope someone can help. was your father in our military service? that might help to prove citizenship through the va (depending upon branch of service) rather than state??????

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to seek legal advice regarding my attempt to claim US citizenship through my father.

Background: My father was a US citizen and held a US passport during my childhood. I was born outside the United States, and I'm currently trying to obtain US citizenship through him. Unfortunately, I lack direct documentation proving his US citizenship, and to complicate matters, I don’t believe he met the residency requirement of 10 years in the US, with at least 5 of those years after the age of 14, which the law seems to mandate for me to be eligible.

Steps I’ve taken:

I submitted my application to the US embassy, including my birth certificate and a family register.
I requested their assistance in verifying my father’s US citizenship, but I’m concerned that the residency requirement will disqualify me.

Additional Concerns: I am also deeply concerned about my safety in Germany. The country feels increasingly unsafe due to the rising number of violent incidents involving migrants, and I fear for my life every day. This makes obtaining US citizenship even more urgent for me, as I seek to move to a safer environment.

Are there any legal precedents or alternative paths to claim citizenship despite not meeting the residency requirement?

I'm feeling quite overwhelmed by the complexity of the situation and the growing insecurity in Germany. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or similar experiences that anyone here can share.

If your father was a citizen then you are.

Thank you for your response. My father was not in the US military. However, my grandfather (my father's father) lived in the United States for decades before moving to Germany with his children, including my father. I'm not sure why they moved back to Germany, but that's the situation.

Given this background, is there any other way I can prove my father's citizenship and secure mine? I'm really hoping to find a path forward. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

If your father was a citizen then you are.
Thank you for your response. I understand that I would be a citizen if my father was, but I'm struggling to prove his citizenship due to a lack of documentation. He had a US passport during my childhood, but I don’t have access to any records that confirm his citizenship status now.

Given that his father lived in the US for decades before moving back to Germany, do you think there could be a way to prove my father's citizenship through my grandfather's records? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

After all the issues with my US citizenship application, I turned my frustration into a song. It’s about feeling let down by the system.

You can listen to it here:

Hello everyone,

Steps I’ve taken:

You're probably safer in the Germany than the US.

You're probably safer in the Germany than the US.
Thank you for your opinion, but I strongly disagree. Germany has become a place where violence is escalating rapidly. Knife attacks are becoming a terrifyingly common occurrence, and just today, more lives were tragically lost in Solingen. The country feels increasingly unsafe, and the system is growing more autocratic by the day.

The EU, in my view, is a union on the brink of collapse, and I don't want to be a part of its downfall. This isn’t the life I want to live, constantly in fear and under a system that feels like it’s suffocating any chance of a better future. That's why I'm so desperate to find safety and new opportunities elsewhere.

Thank you for your response. I understand that I would be a citizen if my father was, but I'm struggling to prove his citizenship due to a lack of documentation. He had a US passport during my childhood, but I don’t have access to any records that confirm his citizenship status now.

Given that his father lived in the US for decades before moving back to Germany, do you think there could be a way to prove my father's citizenship through my grandfather's records? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
He doesn’t have a birth certificate???

Also check with the US State Department, he would of had a Social Security number

Thank you for your opinion, but I strongly disagree. Germany has become a place where violence is escalating rapidly. Knife attacks are becoming a terrifyingly common occurrence, and just today, more lives were tragically lost in Solingen. The country feels increasingly unsafe, and the system is growing more autocratic by the day.

The EU, in my view, is a union on the brink of collapse, and I don't want to be a part of its downfall. This isn’t the life I want to live, constantly in fear and under a system that feels like it’s suffocating any chance of a better future. That's why I'm so desperate to find safety and new opportunities elsewhere.

Yeah, I know. And for the US this has been normal for a century.

I've lived in both Germany and the US, and the US has a lot of scary places. Even the scary places near the university in Germany that I went to which had ethnic Russians getting drunk was safer than a lot of places I went to in the US.

Hello everyone,

Steps I’ve taken:

You should hire a lawyer

Any advice you get from this forum is worthless

Forum List

Back