Lessons of History and Trying To Avoid the Same Mistakes

GREENE: “By the way, you can pick up a butt plug or a dildo at Target and CVS nowadays. I don’t really know how we got here. Sorry. You may still be finishing your dessert. I apologize. But this is the state we’re living in now, and it’s so weird.”

I have questions.

1. Which aisle?
  2. You mean these? No, these are Glade PlugIns. They don’t work as well as you might think.
  3. Seriously, though, I don’t see them anywhere.
  4. No, those are suppositories.
  5. Hey, should I pick up some Boone’s Farm as long as I’m here?
  6. I’ve also grabbed some lube. STP, right?
  7. Oh! I found a Mike Pence bobblehead. Will this do the trick? It would be like getting railed by an albino yeti, which is actually a lot higher on my bucket list than you might think.
  8. Wait, how exactly do you know this, anyway?

Former television newscaster and failed Republican candidate for governor Kari Lake hinted at violence to a crowd of thousands of conservative activists Sunday, continuing her claim that she had really won last month.

“On Nov. 8, they committed highway robbery,” she said, to chants of “Kari! Kari!”

Lake, who has sued elections administrators alleging fraud, called the Maricopa County elections system a “house of cards” that she promised to take down. “I’m not just going to knock that house of cards over. We’re going to burn it to the ground,” she said. “They messed with the wrong woman. They messed with the wrong movement, of ‘we the people.’ And we’re not going to take it anymore.”

She then told the crowd that the Second Amendment – the right to bear arms - was in danger because of current leadership, and that that amendment protected all the others.

“You do not steal our vote and get away with it. You don’t,” she added.

Lake, borrowing a tactic of former President Donald Trump, attacked the news media, urging the audience to turn around and boo the “mainstream media” on a riser.

“Their days are numbered,” she said.

It was unclear whether she knew that the people she was insulting were actually a production crew for Turning Point USA, the event organizer.

Lake spent much of her remarks claiming the election had been stolen from her. “They had to steal our vote in broad daylight,” she said. “My pronouns are by the way: I won.”

Lake’s appearance at Turning Point’s “AmericaFest” was promised well before the election, when many conservatives believed she would be doing so as governor-elect of Arizona. The conservative group relocated to Phoenix several years ago after its founding in Illinois. The conference’s attendance – 10,800, according to Turning Point’s founder and head Charlie Kirk – rivals that of the decades-old Conservative Political Action Conference staged by the American Conservative Union.

Until a few weeks ago, the longtime local television news anchor was regarded as one of the brightest stars in the Trump wing of the Republican Party. She enthusiastically embraced his lie that the 2020 election had been “stolen” from him and made that a cornerstone of her race for governor. Lake also flirted with endorsing political violence in the final weeks of the campaign; she was widely criticized for mocking the attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca.).

Story continues

The Vatican has defrocked an anti-abortion U.S. priest, Frank Pavone, for what it said were "blasphemous communications on social media" as well as "persistent disobedience" of his bishop.

A letter to U.S. bishops from the Vatican ambassador to the U.S., Archbishop Christophe Pierre, obtained Sunday, said the decision against Pavone, who heads the anti-abortion group Priests for Life, had been taken Nov. 9, and that there was no chance for an appeal.

Pavone had been investigated by his then-diocese of Amarillo, Texas, for having placed an aborted fetus on an altar and posting a video of it on two social media sites in 2016. He posts frequently about U.S. politics and abortion, and the video of the aborted fetus was accompanied by a post saying that Hillary Clinton and the Democratic platform would allow abortion to continue and that Donald Trump and the Republican platform want to protect unborn children.

Pavone remains a firm supporter of Trump: His Twitter handle features him wearing a "MAGA" hat with a background photo featuring the former U.S. president, whom many conservatives praise for his Supreme Court nominees who overturned the landmark decision guaranteeing a constitutional right to abortion in the United States.

(full article online)

Forum List

Back