Let me be the first to dash the hopes of fans of other teams.

Gigantic waste of money. There is no reason the taxpayers should be paying any football coach anything...much less the gazillions of dollars they are paying this guy with almost zero return on investment.

First off, Nick Saban's contracts have always included a lot of money from outside sources by way of endorsements. It has also paid off for the University of Alabama. The Crimson Tide is one of the most profitable football teams in the country. Enough so that the football revenue supports the entire athletic dept and still contributes millions of dollars to provide for faculty support and non-athletic scholarships.

And since Saban has been at UA, the number of out-of-state students has doubled. Which brings in even more revenue.
Cool...so with all of this money he brings in...tuition should be free for any Alabamans who wish to attend, right?

According to this site; it costs you about $22K after aid....

View attachment 498507

I'm not seeing the benefit for the average citizen of Alabama.

Now ditto for any public university and high school. I'm just picking out U of A because there is a thread on it.

Paying a coach so much is flat out crazy. Any coach. I don't care who he or she is.

The money spent is returned many times.
Yes...the stadium has gotten bigger and more luxurious. The tuition? Higher and higher.

Again...the benefit for the average citizen of Alabama...non existent.

Except for millions coming in to both Tuscaloosa and Auburn with home games.

Gigantic waste of money. There is no reason the taxpayers should be paying any football coach anything...much less the gazillions of dollars they are paying this guy with almost zero return on investment.

First off, Nick Saban's contracts have always included a lot of money from outside sources by way of endorsements. It has also paid off for the University of Alabama. The Crimson Tide is one of the most profitable football teams in the country. Enough so that the football revenue supports the entire athletic dept and still contributes millions of dollars to provide for faculty support and non-athletic scholarships.

And since Saban has been at UA, the number of out-of-state students has doubled. Which brings in even more revenue.
Cool...so with all of this money he brings in...tuition should be free for any Alabamans who wish to attend, right?

View attachment 498507

Now ditto for any public university and high school. I'm just picking out U of A because there is a thread on it.

Paying a coach so much is flat out crazy. Any coach. I don't care who he or she is.

Yes...the stadium has gotten bigger and more luxurious. The tuition? Higher and higher.

Is that the job of a public university? Moreover, is the "millions coming in" contingent upon paying the coach a gazillion dollars?

View attachment 498507

Is that the job of a public university? Moreover, is the "millions coming in" contingent upon paying the coach a gazillion dollars?

It is millions in profit for the University. And the last time I saw figures, that included $6.5 million for faculty support and non-athletic scholarships.

View attachment 498507

It is millions in profit for the University. And the last time I saw figures, that included $6.5 million for faculty support and non-athletic scholarships.

Doubtful that it is serious profit for the university...otherwise tuition wouldn't be $22,000 per student after financial aid.

But since we apparently have to characterize it in dollars and cents, is getting whatever profit there is contingent on an outsized contract for a football coach?

View attachment 498507

Doubtful that it is serious profit for the university...otherwise tuition wouldn't be $22,000 per student after financial aid.

But since we apparently have to characterize it in dollars and cents, is getting whatever profit there is contingent on an outsized contract for a football coach?

If you want the best, yes. And considering that the last year I could find figures for had Alabama football program making $96.4 million in profit, the coaches salary is not outsized for what he brings in.

View attachment 498507

If you want the best, yes. And considering that the last year I could find figures for had Alabama football program making $96.4 million in profit, the coaches salary is not outsized for what he brings in.
I seriously doubt it since tuition seems to be so high but if you say so.

View attachment 498507

I seriously doubt it since tuition seems to be so high but if you say so.
Perhaps tuition should not be so high. The costs have risen astronomically on professors and staff and others where the self importance is not just that good. Liberal Arts promotes as being open minded ending up being close minded and one reason for our ending as a major power.

View attachment 498507

I guess, but Im willing to bet the donations and support to Alabama football dont drop to the tune of Nick Saban's salary if he isnt there getting paid that much money.

Ironically this period of SEC dominance began when those universities went outside their footprint and hired coaches from the North. Saban, Miles, Urban Meyer.

BTW what is it with SEC fans and their blind support of all things football at their school of choice? Seriously, I think they would sign off on child sacrifice if it meant a couple extra wins a year. Here's news flash. Your university of choice's performance on the football field does not in any way illustrate that you are better than anyone else, even at football since most of the kids play on your team arent even from the area the University is in.

I think Nick is a better recruiter than a coach frankly. When he doenst have an overwhelming talent advantage at every position on the field he doesnt do nearly as well.

He recruits incredibly well. And he develops the talent he recruits incredibly well.

Starting with his undefeated season in 2009, Saban has won 6 National Championships with 5 Offensive Coordinators, 3 Defensive Coordinators, and 5 different QBs.

In his time at Alabama he has won 6 National Championships. In that same time span, Dabo Sweeney at Clemson has won 2. No one else has won more than one.

Between 2008 and 2020, Saban has lost a total of 17 games. One season he lost 3 (2010). Four seasons he lost just 2 games (2008,2013,2014,2019).
In the other eight seasons he has lost one game or less.

Doesn't do nearly as well? lol When was that? When he missed the playoffs one year? When he lost 3 games one year?

Since 2008, the Crimson Tide has not ended the season outside the Top 10. Not once. In 2010 the AP listed them at #10 in the final poll. That was the worst they have been ranked at the end of the season for 13 seasons. The Crimson Tide, in 13 seasons, have only been ranked outside the Top 5 for four of those years.

So, in 13 seasons, Saban has:
Gone 163-17
Won 6 National Championships
Lost 1 game or less for 8 seasons
Been ranked in the Top 10 every year
Been ranked in the Top 5 at the end of 9 seasons

There is no better college football coach in History than Nick Saban. He has won it all with completely different defensive and offensive schemes. He has adapted to what he had and what he faced. His coordinators and assistant coaches are poached every year. And he has consistently put players in the NFL and had high numbers graduate.

Oh, and recruiting is one of the most important jobs for a Head Coach. don't pretend it is not.
Those are insane numbers.

BTW what is it with SEC fans and their blind support of all things football at their school of choice? Seriously, I think they would sign off on child sacrifice if it meant a couple extra wins a year. Here's news flash. Your university of choice's performance on the football field does not in any way illustrate that you are better than anyone else, even at football since most of the kids play on your team arent even from the area the University is in.
That region didn't have professional football until 1965 with Atlanta. Then the Saints in 1967.

I think Nick is a better recruiter than a coach frankly. When he doenst have an overwhelming talent advantage at every position on the field he doesnt do nearly as well.

He recruits incredibly well. And he develops the talent he recruits incredibly well.

Starting with his undefeated season in 2009, Saban has won 6 National Championships with 5 Offensive Coordinators, 3 Defensive Coordinators, and 5 different QBs.

In his time at Alabama he has won 6 National Championships. In that same time span, Dabo Sweeney at Clemson has won 2. No one else has won more than one.

Between 2008 and 2020, Saban has lost a total of 17 games. One season he lost 3 (2010). Four seasons he lost just 2 games (2008,2013,2014,2019).
In the other eight seasons he has lost one game or less.

Doesn't do nearly as well? lol When was that? When he missed the playoffs one year? When he lost 3 games one year?

Since 2008, the Crimson Tide has not ended the season outside the Top 10. Not once. In 2010 the AP listed them at #10 in the final poll. That was the worst they have been ranked at the end of the season for 13 seasons. The Crimson Tide, in 13 seasons, have only been ranked outside the Top 5 for four of those years.

So, in 13 seasons, Saban has:
Gone 163-17
Won 6 National Championships
Lost 1 game or less for 8 seasons
Been ranked in the Top 10 every year
Been ranked in the Top 5 at the end of 9 seasons

There is no better college football coach in History than Nick Saban. He has won it all with completely different defensive and offensive schemes. He has adapted to what he had and what he faced. His coordinators and assistant coaches are poached every year. And he has consistently put players in the NFL and had high numbers graduate.

Oh, and recruiting is one of the most important jobs for a Head Coach. don't pretend it is not.
Those are insane numbers.

Indeed they are.

That region didn't have professional football until 1965 with Atlanta. Then the Saints in 1967.

And, for the most part, those pro teams have sucked.

View attachment 498507

I guess, but Im willing to bet the donations and support to Alabama football dont drop to the tune of Nick Saban's salary if he isnt there getting paid that much money.

I do not know. But the money spent on Saban is money well spent.

Ironically this period of SEC dominance began when those universities went outside their footprint and hired coaches from the North. Saban, Miles, Urban Meyer.

Some coaches have been from the North. Others, like Steve Spurrier have been from the south.

SEC fans can be rabid, that is for sure. Although I doubt child sacrifice (or other major "sins" would be accepted).

Having your school win gives you bragging rights, nothing more. Having your team win means they are better at the game than other teams.

And if the players come from other areas, it simply means the schools closer to them didn't appeal to them.

SEC fans can be rabid, that is for sure. Although I doubt child sacrifice (or other major "sins" would be accepted).

Having your school win gives you bragging rights, nothing more. Having your team win means they are better at the game than other teams.

And if the players come from other areas, it simply means the schools closer to them didn't appeal to them.
Rock on man I guess. I'll just never understand why (insert team here) winning something would garner that much pride or give you bragging rights it's not like you played in the game. As Jerry Seinfeld once said you're basically rooting for laundry.

Rock on man I guess. I'll just never understand why (insert team here) winning something would garner that much pride or give you bragging rights it's not like you played in the game. As Jerry Seinfeld once said you're basically rooting for laundry.

I am rooting for a team and a program with a long history. I am rooting for traditions older than I am. I am a member of a scattered community brought together by a game.

Laundry? No.

You're rooting for a jersey which is laundry. It's not like you really know any of the participants in the game you didnt grow up watching them in peewee football. You have zero vested interest in them other than the clothes they wear, and if they choose to wear different clothes and played against the guys wearing the clothes you like you'd root against them. You root for laundry.

Forum List

Back