Levin: Repeal the 17th Amendment

The individual appealed the taking in the Courts and lost. You're confusing a decision you don't like as a process you don't like. There are plenty of conservatives around USMB who don't think the Supreme Court should even have the power of judicial review,

because it's not explicitly given that power in the Constitution. In that case, Kelo wouldn't even have had a chance to petitition the Court.

Ironically, states like California reacted to Kelo by prohibiting the practice with a referendum vote -

direct democracy in action - that amended the CA constitution.

So go ahead and condemn that, lol.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm not even talking about judicial review. I'm merely telling you that Democracy is not to be confused with Majority Rule. The willy of the majority can never trump the rights of the individual, which are protected by the foundation of the Bill of Rights.

If you want to set the precedent where your rights as an individual can be deny by the will of the majority, be my guess. I can't promise that you will like the results. Ironically, the same people who are for liberty, are really not.

So was Proposition 8 in California 'tyranny of the majority'?

Yes. The electorate gives government the power to regulate marriage as it sees fit. As a consequence, the electorate gave the government the power to regulate which types of parties cannot marry.

The idea that a big central government can grant the liberty people seek through the democratic progress is false.

Last edited:
Question:

"Is a government big enough to give you everything you want, a government big enough to take away everything that you have."?

Then get the federal government out of the business of securing your rights and let the states each decide what your rights will or won't be. Is that what you want? A central government, for example, too weak to protect your 2nd amendment rights?

The reason the founding fathers wanted Senators to be elected the states was to PREVENT THE CONCENTRATION OF POWER IN DC.

Each state has two senators. Whether directly elected or appointed, how does that effect the concentration of power in DC?

Each state has two senators. Whether directly elected or appointed, how does that effect the concentration of power in DC?

Repeal the Seventeenth Amendment

State legislatures did not hesitate to instruct U.S. senators on how to vote. In fact, the very first instruction that was given to them was to meet in public! The Virginia and Kentucky Resolves of 1798 (see William Watkins, Reclaiming the American Revolution) were the work of state legislatures that instructed their senators to oppose the Sedition Act, which essentially made it illegal to criticize the federal government.

State legislatures were instrumental in Andrew Jackson’s famous battle with the Bank of the United States (BUS), which ended with the Bank being de-funded and replaced by the Independent Treasury System and the era of "free banking" (1842—1862). State legislatures throughout the U.S. instructed their senators to oppose the BUS in the senate. Senator Pelog Sprague of Maine was forced to resign in 1835 after ignoring his legislature’s instructions to vote against the Bank. The U.S. Senate voted to censure President Andrew Jackson for opposing the BUS, but the states responded by forcing seven other senators to resign for taking part in that vote. (It seems that it’s not only twenty-first century Republicans who run for office by calling Washington, D.C. a cesspool, and then thinking of it as more like a hot tub once they get there)"

Then get the federal government out of the business of securing your rights and let the states each decide what your rights will or won't be. Is that what you want? A central government, for example, too weak to protect your 2nd amendment rights?

The reason the founding fathers wanted Senators to be elected the states was to PREVENT THE CONCENTRATION OF POWER IN DC.

Because Senators being appointed by the State legislatures would better serve the interest of the States.

It was a move to counter the popular vote the people had with the HOR. Under the original provisions of the Constitution, senators were elected by state legislatures; this was intended to prevent the federal government from indirectly absconding with the powers and funds of the states.

Now the Senate isn't any better than the House...just look at Harry Reid and him blocking everything coming from the House...

You don't know history of this Republic or it's design, and you show it very well. Just tow that Statist design. You reek of it.

Allowing the people to select their own representatives is a mistake?

I hope Republicans make this part of their platform

Leftwhiner:

Try to be honest when you "argue." You might have something to offer.

The reason we established a bicameral legislative body in the first place was to have the HOUSE serve more directly to represent the people. The People thus DO get to select their own representatives. So much for your disingenuous and false-premise "argument."

The SENATE, by contrast, was DESIGNED to be a bit less direct. That was done FOR an actual legitimate REASON.

And yes, it has proved to BE a mistake to make the election of Senators a direct election process. We tampered with the original Constitutional design in a manner that did prove to cause injury to the Republic.

Clearly, it is not always a mistake to fine tune the mechanisms crafted by the Founders and the Framers. They were wise enough to make provision for such things, in fact. BUT, still, sometimes when we engage in our efforts to fine tune the Constitutional framework, we DO make mistakes. For example: The income tax. A cluster-fuck of a mistake. Direct elections of U.S. Senators. A mistake.

Prohibition? A mistake. Hey. How about that? We corrected that one.

As to your last line, you are such a partisan (in a typically and sadly hack way) that you persist in viewing this discussion as a Democrat vs Republican proposition. I am not a Republican, so I certainly do not share your outlook. You are wrong. It is not a discussion about political party -- even though I acknowledge that some ramifications do impact on political party matters. But what Levin has identified and what this discussion is actually ABOUT goes far beyond party politics.

The mistake of giving state legislatures the power to elect Senators was corrected by the 17th amendment. No doubt there were many good reasons why the people of that era wanted it. I'm not going to question their wisdom.

Yes, I'm sure you NEVER question the "wisdom" of the majority vote . . . until they vote for something you don't like, you frigging hypocrite. Go piss on someone else's leg and try to convince them it's raining.

The "wise majority" also voted for Prohibition, remember. I'll bet hard cash you would have "questioned their wisdom" on that one, had you been there. The majority in the states voted for restrictions on abortion, and I know for a fact that you applaud the overturning of THAT majority vote by a handful of unelected lawyers in black dresses, and ditto the consistent majority votes against "gay marriage"; so again, fucking spare us your sanctimonious bullshit lies about your reverence for the majority, okay? You may be stupid enough to believe the garbage that spews from your piehole, but you're the only one.

Last edited:

Because Senators being appointed by the State legislatures would better serve the interest of the States.

It was a move to counter the popular vote the people had with the HOR. Under the original provisions of the Constitution, senators were elected by state legislatures; this was intended to prevent the federal government from indirectly absconding with the powers and funds of the states.

Now the Senate isn't any better than the House...just look at Harry Reid and him blocking everything coming from the House...

You don't know history of this Republic or it's design, and you show it very well. Just tow that Statist design. You reek of it.

The interests of back room state politicians or the interests of the people of that state?

Let the Senators answer to the people, not the politicians who have bought them

The interests of back room state politicians or the interests of the people of that state?

Let the Senators answer to the people, not the politicians who have bought them
Nice try at diversion. Go educate yourself on original construct of the Constitution, and the intent of the Founders.

Until YOU do that? We have nothing left to discuss, do we?

How many times does this have to be explained to you before you stop acting the fool and engage the argument?

GOPers, Libretardians, and Constitutionazis see us, the people, as a mob of zombies, howling and screeching, pounding on the doors of the legislative bribe-market! Mindlessly mumbling, we are a clear and present danger to the republic on which they stand and replace it with our horrifying democracy! Their mirrors are out to get them.

Paranoia creates the munchies. Got your plutocratic popcorn ready? Free Kool-Aid provided at the Supreme Court food court.

GOPers, Libretardians, and Constitutionazis see us, the people, as a mob of zombies, howling and screeching, pounding on the doors of the legislative bribe-market! Mindlessly mumbling, we are a clear and present danger to the republic on which they stand and replace it with our horrifying democracy! Their mirrors are out to get them.

Paranoia creates the munchies. Got your plutocratic popcorn ready? Free Kool-Aid provided at the Supreme Court food court.
First clue where you are wrong, and what we are not, and never intended to be.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm not even talking about judicial review. I'm merely telling you that Democracy is not to be confused with Majority Rule. The willy of the majority can never trump the rights of the individual, which are protected by the foundation of the Bill of Rights.

If you want to set the precedent where your rights as an individual can be deny by the will of the majority, be my guess. I can't promise that you will like the results. Ironically, the same people who are for liberty, are really not.

Yes. The electorate gives government the power to regulate marriage as it sees fit. As a consequence, the electorate gave the government the power to regulate which types of parties cannot marry.

The idea that a big central government can grant the liberty people seek through the democratic progress is false.

Let me first say, Amazon, that I am very much enjoying your posts.

Second, I would like to clarify this, because there is way too much imprecise language on this topic - and many others.

The people do not give the government the power to regulate who can and cannot marry. What they give the government is the power to decide which unions it will officially recognize. This is because it is completely unworkable and anarchic for the government and society to officially, legally sanction all possible permutations of a relationship/domestic arrangement that human beings might dream up, and there is no compelling public interest in doing so. No, "It's not fair", "That's mean!", and "I want to feel validated" do not constitute a compelling public interest.

No one is stopping anyone from setting up any sort of domestic arrangement they wish, no matter how much some people are convinced that they require public approbation for their choices in order to make them.

Founding fathers were indeed classic liberals. Ahead of their time. Charting new territory. Unafraid to try new things

Just like today's liberals

Wrong.

The Founding Fathers were very learned and educated men about the past. The entire Constitution is a culmination of ALL of mankind's history, from the Code of Hammurabi, to Athens Greece, to the Roman Republic, to the Feudal Dark Ages, right to the Enlightenment (not to mention all of Plato/Aristotle/Socrates/Cicero/John Locke/John Milton/Voltaire/etc writings).

They took all the lessons learned from these greater empires, cultures and philosophers, they considered all the failings of these same empires, cultures and philosophers, and wrote the Constitution.

The Constitution is the culmination of all of human experience and wisdom, and rectified the failures and follies, including even the Articles of Confederation.

The Founding Fathers did not "Experiment" with anything new, they "Experimented" with all things already known to work, and put them into a single system.

Progressives and Modern Liberals "experiment" with random ideas conjured inside of an ivory tower, with no empirical data or evidence in support or in opposition. That's all it is, pure unaccountable thought.

Well, actually, Progressive/Marxist/Modern Liberal thought is Accountable, it led to Lenin, Hitler, Mao, Castro, Pol Pot, Stalin...

Oh right, it's a just a smoke screen for Oligarchy.

No, dimwit. We see leftists as a mob of zombies, but people in general we just see as NOT REQUIRING EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD TO BE ABOUT THEM INDIVIDUALLY.

Think of it this way, if thinking is a function you can actually perform. Each state is like a labor union - we all know how much you lefties kneejerk in favor of labor unions. The purpose of a state's Senators is to act as union representatives for their state COLLECTIVELY, rather than as representatives of the people in the state individually. Since the people on a more individual basis already HAVE representation in the person of their Representatives to the House, it is redundant to remove the COLLECTIVE bargaining power of their state to replace it with another type of individual representation.

Leftwhiner:

Try to be honest when you "argue." You might have something to offer.

The reason we established a bicameral legislative body in the first place was to have the HOUSE serve more directly to represent the people. The People thus DO get to select their own representatives. So much for your disingenuous and false-premise "argument."

The SENATE, by contrast, was DESIGNED to be a bit less direct. That was done FOR an actual legitimate REASON.

And yes, it has proved to BE a mistake to make the election of Senators a direct election process. We tampered with the original Constitutional design in a manner that did prove to cause injury to the Republic.

Clearly, it is not always a mistake to fine tune the mechanisms crafted by the Founders and the Framers. They were wise enough to make provision for such things, in fact. BUT, still, sometimes when we engage in our efforts to fine tune the Constitutional framework, we DO make mistakes. For example: The income tax. A cluster-fuck of a mistake. Direct elections of U.S. Senators. A mistake.

Prohibition? A mistake. Hey. How about that? We corrected that one.

As to your last line, you are such a partisan (in a typically and sadly hack way) that you persist in viewing this discussion as a Democrat vs Republican proposition. I am not a Republican, so I certainly do not share your outlook. You are wrong. It is not a discussion about political party -- even though I acknowledge that some ramifications do impact on political party matters. But what Levin has identified and what this discussion is actually ABOUT goes far beyond party politics.

The mistake of giving state legislatures the power to elect Senators was corrected by the 17th amendment. No doubt there were many good reasons why the people of that era wanted it. I'm not going to question their wisdom.

Yes, I'm sure you NEVER question the "wisdom" of the majority vote . . . until they vote for something you don't like, you frigging hypocrite. Go piss on someone else's leg and try to convince them it's raining.

The "wise majority" also voted for Prohibition, remember. I'll bet hard cash you would have "questioned their wisdom" on that one, had you been there. The majority in the states voted for restrictions on abortion, and I know for a fact that you applaud the overturning of THAT majority vote by a handful of unelected lawyers in black dresses, and ditto the consistent majority votes against "gay marriage"; so again, fucking spare us your sanctimonious bullshit lies about your reverence for the majority, okay? You may be stupid enough to believe the garbage that spews from your piehole, but you're the only one.

The "wise majority" also voted for Proposition 8, remember, denying same-sex couples their equal protection rights, and supported overwhelmingly by conservatives.

When it comes to hypocrisy, you and others on the right are the majority holders.

Second, I would like to clarify this, because there is way too much imprecise language on this topic - and many others.

The people do not give the government the power to regulate who can and cannot marry. What they give the government is the power to decide which unions it will officially recognize. This is because it is completely unworkable and anarchic for the government and society to officially, legally sanction all possible permutations of a relationship/domestic arrangement that human beings might dream up, and there is no compelling public interest in doing so. No, "It's not fair", "That's mean!", and "I want to feel validated" do not constitute a compelling public interest.

No one is stopping anyone from setting up any sort of domestic arrangement they wish, no matter how much some people are convinced that they require public approbation for their choices in order to make them.

No one is stopping anyone from setting up a domestic arrangement, but the Government already is in the business of licencing marriage. That is a barrier to entry by the state. It may be to protect individuals from creating any type of domestic arrangement, but ultimately it is a private institution which sanctions the union between two consenting adults (churches, chapels, etc). There is no reason why a private institution couldn't oversee the rules and regulations among licencing.

I posted the Federalist papers aka Madison,

Which is exactly why they compromised on the Senate. Originally they were going to allow Congressional Reps to select Senators, but decided on State Legislatures. Thus the State Gov't could be the watch dog of its own Senators.

They were very careful to apply as many checks .

Madison was just a clever lawyer for the colonial ruling class. Like all lawyers, his presentation of his case, his anti-democratic gibberish, was just a cover for what he didn't dare say where the public might hear about it, which was, "Hey, fellow flunkies, if we bribe the lower-level flunkies in the state legislatures with the privilege of choosing senators, then they'll ratify our bosses' game plan."

Last edited:

Nonsense.

No one is talking about setting up any sort of 'domestic arrangement.'

At issue is the states’ refusal to allow same-sex couples access to their marriage laws, as required by the 14th Amendment; where same-sex couples already possess that inalienable right, a right that cannot be denied by any government or referendum.

Nonsense.

At issue is the states’ refusal to allow same-sex couples access to their marriage laws, as required by the 14th Amendment; where same-sex couples already possess that inalienable right, a right that cannot be denied by any government or referendum.
That would pre-suppose that gay=race. Surprise. It's NOT the same, nor will it ever be.

Nonsense.

Equal Protection means equal justice under the law. That has nothing to do with marriage and is not protected under the 14th amendment. A private institution (Church, Mosque, Chapel, or Temple) can deny the right to facilitate in an marriage they disagree with. Anything otherwise is a direct violation of another's First Amendment right.

Just stop.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back