Levin: Repeal the 17th Amendment

Let me first say, Amazon, that I am very much enjoying your posts.

Second, I would like to clarify this, because there is way too much imprecise language on this topic - and many others.

The people do not give the government the power to regulate who can and cannot marry. What they give the government is the power to decide which unions it will officially recognize. This is because it is completely unworkable and anarchic for the government and society to officially, legally sanction all possible permutations of a relationship/domestic arrangement that human beings might dream up, and there is no compelling public interest in doing so. No, "It's not fair", "That's mean!", and "I want to feel validated" do not constitute a compelling public interest.

No one is stopping anyone from setting up any sort of domestic arrangement they wish, no matter how much some people are convinced that they require public approbation for their choices in order to make them.

Nonsense.

No one is talking about setting up any sort of 'domestic arrangement.'

At issue is the states’ refusal to allow same-sex couples access to their marriage laws, as required by the 14th Amendment; where same-sex couples already possess that inalienable right, a right that cannot be denied by any government or referendum.

Equal Protection means equal justice under the law. That has nothing to do with marriage and is not protected under the 14th amendment. A private institution (Church, Mosque, Chapel, or Temple) can deny the right to facilitate in an marriage they disagree with. Anything otherwise is a direct violation of another's First Amendment right.

Just stop.

Your problem is that once government recognizes one marital union they are obligated to recognize all (insert your bestiality, incest and pedophilia references here)
The government can't say they recognize one type of love and not another......equal protection under the laws

Conservatives ARE the Founders you nit-wit. What of that don't you understand?

At the founding of our country, conservatives supported the monarchy. Our founders were the great liberals of their time

All men created equal.....what a liberal concept

Liberals believe in big government controlling everyone and dolling out special favors to privileged groups. Liberals believe the government should micromanage the economy and choose winners and losers.

True, but that's also what the dumb jock bullies who run the corporations believe in. There are no sincere Liberals; they are upper-class guillotine fodder just like their pseudo-Conservative prep school classmates.

Nonsense.

At issue is the states’ refusal to allow same-sex couples access to their marriage laws, as required by the 14th Amendment; where same-sex couples already possess that inalienable right, a right that cannot be denied by any government or referendum.

Equal Protection means equal justice under the law. That has nothing to do with marriage and is not protected under the 14th amendment. A private institution (Church, Mosque, Chapel, or Temple) can deny the right to facilitate in an marriage they disagree with. Anything otherwise is a direct violation of another's First Amendment right.

Just stop.

Your problem is that once government recognizes one marital union they are obligated to recognize all (insert your bestiality, incest and pedophilia references here)
The government can't say they recognize one type of love and not another......equal protection under the laws

The problem is forcing others to facilitate in said marriage, no matter what type of union it is. It may not stop at just gay marriage, but that is the type of law you get when you allow the majority to decide what role the Government should have in your lives. A Church or State Authority can licence a marriage. You don't need the State to decide which marriages are recognisable and which are not, or a monopoly in the marriage business. There are already churches which recognises gay marriages willingly and voluntarily.

You also wouldn't have this issue at all if the Government were not allowed to distribute favours.

Last edited:
I posted the Federalist papers aka Madison,

Which is exactly why they compromised on the Senate. Originally they were going to allow Congressional Reps to select Senators, but decided on State Legislatures. Thus the State Gov't could be the watch dog of its own Senators.

They were very careful to apply as many checks .

Madison was just a clever lawyer for the colonial ruling class. Like all lawyers, his presentation of his case, his anti-democratic gibberish, was just a cover for what he didn't dare say where the public might hear about it, which was, "Hey, fellow flunkies, if we bribe the lower-level flunkies in the state legislatures with the privilege of choosing senators, then they'll ratify our bosses' game plan."

Please provide evidence of this claim.

This represented the first time the Supreme court had determined whether the Taxing and Spending Clause of the Constitution represented an independent grant of power to provide for the general welfare of the United States.[4] They found it did, thus setting the stage for massive increases in federal spending, and consequent power, during the latter half of the 20th century.

And here we are. The Great Liberal Leaders said that the original Constitution wasn't good enough, and in FDR's case if he didn't get his way with the courts he tried to change it.
Obama disrespected the SCOTUS in the State of the Union.

The SCROTUS didn't usurp the right to cancel laws through judicial review until 12 years after the Constitution was ratified, proving that it was never in the Constitution. When Jefferson started impeaching the "Justices" one by one after Marbury v. Madison, they backed down temporarily and said their rulings were only "non-binding opinions."

I just posted it, and the State Legislatures were clearly to have a check on the Senate and Gov't.

We, the people, have canceled that check. If you don't like it, go move to a country where you don't think the majority is a "mob." What makes a drooling bootlicker like you so conceited?

I find it particularly interesting how people who advocate majority rule believe that the majority opinions are just no matter what.

At the risk of sounding like a cliche: Just because most people believe something is true, doesn't make it true.

That was before we found out state legislatures were the PROBLEM lol. Now we know the Senate is the adults- check out the corrupt HOUSE we have...anyone in the world could tell you the problem is big money, the corrupt Pubs it's bought, and the lies they tell to the dupes....get serious, ignoramuses....check the Reaganist collapse of the nonrich and the country in order to pander to the greedy rich, the stupidest wars ever and the world depression...give up on the Rush/Levin etc etc BS.

It's a lot harder to corrupt the entire State Legislature to gain the vote of one Senator. It's a hell of a lot easier to buy off one man who has no one to answer to for 6 years.

More lawyering defective logic. The candidate the 1% try to bribe the legislators to take has already been bought off himself.

The United States resists tyranny because it is large and diverse, and because it has a strong central government that is also,

by the democratic process that forms it, diverse.

Tyranny becomes more a danger the smaller the population gets that is governed. States rights and sovereignty don't prevent tyranny, they enable it.

All you've really done was replaced the Tyranny of a King with a much large group or specific groups of people. You've had a greater loss of autonomy the larger and more diverse the population has become.

That essentially is Tyranny.

No you don't. The Kings weren't elected.

Example: If you're the state of Alabama in the 1950's, you have institutionalized segregration, racism, discrimination in place, all of which are examples of tyranny of a minority,

because you have the majority government of the state of Alabama behind it.

In 1964, the big central government, with the majority support drawn from ALL the diverse states, not just Alabama, comes along and outlaws the practices.

Question:

was it the smaller government or the bigger government holding the power that was better able to end the tyranny over the colored minority in the state of Alabama?

This is the same Constitutionazi ruling-class elitist double-talk from the Left that has been barfed all over here by the Right. Civil Rights for the Uncivilized was opposed by the vast majority; their elected representatives went against the will of their constituents and obeyed the design of the 1% to humiliate the majority with this racial equality fantasy.

GOPers, Libretardians, and Constitutionazis see us, the people, as a mob of zombies, howling and screeching, pounding on the doors of the legislative bribe-market! Mindlessly mumbling, we are a clear and present danger to the republic on which they stand and replace it with our horrifying democracy! Their mirrors are out to get them.

Paranoia creates the munchies. Got your plutocratic popcorn ready? Free Kool-Aid provided at the Supreme Court food court.

people in general we just see as NOT REQUIRING EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD TO BE ABOUT THEM INDIVIDUALLY.

Each state is like a labor union The purpose of a state's Senators is to act as union representatives for their state COLLECTIVELY, rather than as representatives of the people in the state individually. Since the people on a more individual basis already HAVE representation in the person of their Representatives to the House, .

You've gobbled too much plutocratic popcorn. It's made you fart all over the message board. The rich you worship for their preppy republic have nothing but contempt for you, so as Lenin, a typical rich kid no matter what his politics, said, you are a useful idiot.

The mistake of giving state legislatures the power to elect Senators was corrected by the 17th amendment. No doubt there were many good reasons why the people of that era wanted it. I'm not going to question their wisdom.

Yes, I'm sure you NEVER question the "wisdom" of the majority vote . . . until they vote for something you don't like, you frigging hypocrite. Go piss on someone else's leg and try to convince them it's raining.

The "wise majority" also voted for Prohibition, remember. I'll bet hard cash you would have "questioned their wisdom" on that one, had you been there. The majority in the states voted for restrictions on abortion, and I know for a fact that you applaud the overturning of THAT majority vote by a handful of unelected lawyers in black dresses, and ditto the consistent majority votes against "gay marriage"; so again, fucking spare us your sanctimonious bullshit lies about your reverence for the majority, okay? You may be stupid enough to believe the garbage that spews from your piehole, but you're the only one.

The "wise majority" also voted for Proposition 8, remember, denying same-sex couples their equal protection rights, and supported overwhelmingly by conservatives.

When it comes to hypocrisy, you and others on the right are the majority holders.

Wow, a post that manages to miss the entire fucking point of the conversation it barged uninvited into, AND made no fucking sense, all at the same time.

You're such an overachiever, pusbag. I'm impressed. :clap2:

I find it particularly interesting how people who advocate majority rule believe that the majority opinions are just no matter what.

At the risk of sounding like a cliche: Just because most people believe something is true, doesn't make it true.

We do not have majority rule

We have a majority electing representatives

I posted the Federalist papers aka Madison,

Which is exactly why they compromised on the Senate. Originally they were going to allow Congressional Reps to select Senators, but decided on State Legislatures. Thus the State Gov't could be the watch dog of its own Senators.

They were very careful to apply as many checks .

Madison was just a clever lawyer for the colonial ruling class. Like all lawyers, his presentation of his case, his anti-democratic gibberish, was just a cover for what he didn't dare say where the public might hear about it, which was, "Hey, fellow flunkies, if we bribe the lower-level flunkies in the state legislatures with the privilege of choosing senators, then they'll ratify our bosses' game plan."

Please provide evidence of this claim.

The evidence is in the result. We have been brainwashed into thinking we have to live with an elitist 18th Century document that treats the people as an irrational mob with no experience with real life. In a free and self-respecting country, the Constitution would have been treated as a temporary start-up document, amended by all subsequent legislation.

Yes. The electorate gives government the power to regulate marriage as it sees fit. As a consequence, the electorate gave the government the power to regulate which types of parties cannot marry.

The idea that a big central government can grant the liberty people seek through the democratic progress is false.

Second, I would like to clarify this, because there is way too much imprecise language on this topic - and many others.

The people do not give the government the power to regulate who can and cannot marry. What they give the government is the power to decide which unions it will officially recognize. This is because it is completely unworkable and anarchic for the government and society to officially, legally sanction all possible permutations of a relationship/domestic arrangement that human beings might dream up, and there is no compelling public interest in doing so. No, "It's not fair", "That's mean!", and "I want to feel validated" do not constitute a compelling public interest.

No one is stopping anyone from setting up any sort of domestic arrangement they wish, no matter how much some people are convinced that they require public approbation for their choices in order to make them.

No one is stopping anyone from setting up a domestic arrangement, but the Government already is in the business of licencing marriage. That is a barrier to entry by the state. It may be to protect individuals from creating any type of domestic arrangement, but ultimately it is a private institution which sanctions the union between two consenting adults (churches, chapels, etc). There is no reason why a private institution couldn't oversee the rules and regulations among licencing.

Uh, no. And no. And no.

The government issues a license for a marriage as a way of designating that relationship as one which it officially recognizes, not as "giving permission" for the relationship to exist. Just because the government doesn't legally recognize the relationship between my best friend and I doesn't mean that we're being somehow prevented from being best friends.

The government also does not officially recognize specific relationships in order to protect the individuals in the relationship, at least not as its primary goal. It actually does so because those specific types of relationships have been recognized throughout human history as producing a benefit to society as a whole, which creates a compelling public interest in promoting those relationships.

While certain private individuals (not institutions; marriages are performed by ministers, not by the churches) are granted the ability by the government to form the contracts which that government recognizes, they are not, in fact, the only ones who can do so, nor does their legally-recognized ability to perform this activity make those contracts in any way a private or religious thing only. Please remember that judges and justices of the peace are ALSO able to perform wedding ceremonies (and, the part that actually matters to the government, officially sign the marriage license).

There is one very good reason why private institutions can't oversee and regulate marital contracts, aside from the fact that many people aren't religious and want nothing to do with those institutions: it's a CONTRACT, legally binding and carrying with it legally enforceable obligations and consequences.

Would it be possible to incorporate a wide variety of relationship configurations into a society? Perhaps, but it would inevitably result in a chaotic morass of byzantine regulations, oversight, and competing lawsuits, simply because humans are what they are. That would defeat the whole purpose of the exercise, which was to promote a benefit to society as a whole.

Yes. The electorate gives government the power to regulate marriage as it sees fit. As a consequence, the electorate gave the government the power to regulate which types of parties cannot marry.

The idea that a big central government can grant the liberty people seek through the democratic progress is false.

Nonsense.

I'm sorry, did someone say something? :eusa_eh:

The majority can be wrong, but only the majority has the right to be wrong. Under this insulting system, they pay for the mistakes of a tiny minority of well-connected politicians, who only suffer the slight harm of not getting re-elected.

There is no such thing as a tyranny of the majority, which is a contradiction. How can people tyrannize over themselves? Who judges that the will of the people against a minority is irrational and tyrannical? If it is, it is the duty of the minority to persuade the majority to a different opinion, not have it forced upon them and re-inforced when it is proven by high crime or whatever we are forced to stomach that the majority had been right all along. Giving authority to pre-owned politicians is like an orphan getting to choose his parents. Anyone with such contempt for the people to call them a mob or dependent children is a traitor and should be punished appropriately. If you consider to be an inferior herd, your swollen head is only fit for a guillotine.

The majority can be wrong, but only the majority has the right to be wrong.

What?

Under this insulting system, they pay for the mistakes of a tiny minority of well-connected politicians, who only suffer the slight harm of not getting re-elected.

These politicians pay by losing their jobs.

There is no such thing as a tyranny of the majority, which is a contradiction. How can people tyrannize over themselves?

The majority are tyrannical towards others who are not composed of the majority. This is called 'the minority.'

The examples should really be simple without someone having to explain them to you.

Who judges that the will of the people against a minority is irrational and tyrannical?

The individuals who lose their individual liberties as a result. If you really need an example, all you have to do is ask.

If it is, it is the duty of the minority to persuade the majority to a different opinion, not have it forced upon them and re-inforced when it is proven by high crime or whatever we are forced to stomach that the majority had been right all along. Giving authority to pre-owned politicians is like an orphan getting to choose his parents. Anyone with such contempt for the people to call them a mob or dependent children is a traitor and should be punished appropriately. If you consider to be an inferior herd, your swollen head is only fit for a guillotine.

Listen. I'll try to explain this to you in the best way that I can. Democratic structures can marginalise majorities. Democratic structures can make the Majority Rule seem to be to correct thing, even if it is not the correct thing. As I have said before: just because most people say something is true, doesn't make it true. There is also no reason to believe that just because most people say something is a just policy, that it is truly a just policy.

There was a time when everyone thought that Blacks didn't have the same rights as Whites, or certain groups of people shouldn't be permitted to vote. Nowadays, we don't believe this is true, but it isn't the number of people who believe these things are votes, that makes them false. A Democratic voting system is a way to understand what most people think. That's not the same thing as figuring out what is right.

We do not have majority rule

We have a majority electing representatives

Elected Representatives act on the behalf of the consensus of the majority. That's Majority Rule.

The reason the founding fathers wanted Senators to be elected the states was to PREVENT THE CONCENTRATION OF POWER IN DC.

Each state has two senators. Whether directly elected or appointed, how does that effect the concentration of power in DC?

How many times does this have to be explained to you before you stop acting the fool and engage the argument?

You are not giving an 'explanation' you are giving an opinion. There is no evidence that letting legislatures appoint Senators would have any material effect other than give a partisan advantage to the Republican Party based on the current makeup of the various state legislatures.

Why should anyone who is not Republican support that?

Nonsense.

Just stop.

Incorrect.

Equal protection of the law concerns equal access to the law, where the states must afford residents equal access to all state laws, including marriage law; so the issue indeed concerns marriage and has everything to do with the 14th Amendment:

It is enough to say that Proposition 8 operates with no apparent purpose but to impose on gays and lesbians, through the public law, a majority's private disapproval of them and their relationships, by taking away from them the official designation of ‘marriage,’ with its societally recognized status. Proposition 8 therefore violates the Equal Protection Clause.

By using their initiative power to target a minority group and withdraw a right that it possessed, without a legitimate reason for doing so, the People of California violated the Equal Protection Clause. We hold Proposition 8 to be unconstitutional on this ground.

PERRY v. BROWN, Nos. 10?16696, 11?16577., February 07, 2012 - US 9th Circuit | FindLaw

What needs to ‘just stop’ is the effort by you and others on the right to deny same-sex couples their equal protection rights as guaranteed by the 14th Amendment, efforts that are completely devoid of a rational basis, motivated solely by animus toward homosexuals.

Forum List

Back