Licensing : I'm starting another pointless crusade for your kids and grand kids

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
I've been in this business for over 10 years, last week I got the idea to check into licensing because I figured I could buy a cheap property in Nevada or Arizona and do some work as a contractor to support myself.

I was shocked to find that both Nevada and Arizona now require "experience" forms to be NOTARIZED, and you need about 4 of them to cover your experience.

In the state of California the contractor board prints on the bottom "any false statements is a felony"

You pass the trade test, you pass their little dumb business tests and asbestos test, and then you have to go run around begging former co-workers and/or employers to stand there with a notary and vouch for you, under penalty of law.

This has gone too far, the contractors boards are intentionally slamming the door on the future of people trying to become contractors.

Even though they made indications that they answer to no one, I think people need to start making a big deal out of this, and start sending letters to the state governors, and start placing people in office who are more friendly to liberty.

--------------------------

I called the state and asked them about their rule that you can have customers vouch for your experience. I said "how is a customer supposed to vouch for 4 years of experience off of one job?

They told me "You're supposed to have customers sign that you have been working with for years "

It's a trap.

You're going to notarize documents saying you've been doing unlicensed work for years, and a someone is going to notarize they been having unlicensed work done for years.

I don't think so.

so you're probably asking "what's the big deal?"

People don't easily notarize documents to the state that clearly threaten jail time, just so you can get a license. They're going to say "screw you, go ask someone else"

As usual i'm probably the only person in America that realizes there's a big problem here.

Well...that sucks but the best solution I could really think of would be to petition the government or something.

If you own the property you can do your own work without a license, you still have to pull the permits and get the work inspected though, if they are required.

in California we don't need permits for our own property, and companies can ignore most inspectors.
most people don't know this though

I've been in this business for over 10 years, last week I got the idea to check into licensing because I figured I could buy a cheap property in Nevada or Arizona and do some work as a contractor to support myself.

I was shocked to find that both Nevada and Arizona now require "experience" forms to be NOTARIZED, and you need about 4 of them to cover your experience.

In the state of California the contractor board prints on the bottom "any false statements is a felony"

You pass the trade test, you pass their little dumb business tests and asbestos test, and then you have to go run around begging former co-workers and/or employers to stand there with a notary and vouch for you, under penalty of law.

This has gone too far, the contractors boards are intentionally slamming the door on the future of people trying to become contractors.

Even though they made indications that they answer to no one, I think people need to start making a big deal out of this, and start sending letters to the state governors, and start placing people in office who are more friendly to liberty.

--------------------------

I called the state and asked them about their rule that you can have customers vouch for your experience. I said "how is a customer supposed to vouch for 4 years of experience off of one job?

They told me "You're supposed to have customers sign that you have been working with for years "

It's a trap.

You're going to notarize documents saying you've been doing unlicensed work for years, and a someone is going to notarize they been having unlicensed work done for years.

I don't think so.

so you're probably asking "what's the big deal?"

People don't easily notarize documents to the state that clearly threaten jail time, just so you can get a license. They're going to say "screw you, go ask someone else"

As usual i'm probably the only person in America that realizes there's a big problem here.

You would only need a license if you are hiring yourself out as a contractor. If you're the property owner, you can do your own work or act as your own contractor as long as you get whatever permits are required and the work passes inspection.

So no. There is no problem at all unless you're hiring yourself out to others.

Forum List

Back