🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

London 2012 Olympics Stuff

Be careful CG. The fact that you are there and have access to the local media and are getting a more unfiltered big picture makes you especially 'stupid' and a 'target for insult' in some quarters.

I don't allow President Obama to be taken out of context by those who think it necessary to do that. And I appreciate Mitt being kept in context too.

And in the grand scheme of thing, are either of their views what is really important about the 2012 Olympics?

I know, Foxy... apparently, cheering a country that is not my own means my loyalty to my country is in doubt... regardless of the fact that that country was not competing against my own. :lol:

Context is important, we know that... I just wish other posters would learn it.

So much for Olympic unity, huh :) I cheer the Americans too when they are competing in the Olympics just like I cheer our local sports teams when they are competing at the highschool or college level. It is stupid to think that cheering somebody else when our own teams aren't competing is unloyal. Also stupid is not to appreciate the skill and courage and dedication that allows somebody who is not an American to achieve great things.

It is stupid to hate somebody in politics just because he or she beat our preferred candidate. How much more stupid to hate somebody who beat our guy or gal in a sporting event?

I find this whole conversation rather odd... how could Mitt have been referring to empty seats? He wouldn't have known there were going to be empty seats at the events before the events were held, would he?

It seems to me that the left are just reeking of desperation on this one. Romney was correct in his assessment, and I pointed out the issues that he was right about... but their 'hatred' of Romney blinds them to logic. Very odd indeed.

Speaking of loyalty, the English usually favour the Irish, Scotish and Welsh rugby and football teams over the likes of France and Germany. But whenever you ask the Celts who they'll be cheering when their overlord takes to the field, the treacherous ingrates unanimously favour England's opponent.

Last edited:
Be careful CG. The fact that you are there and have access to the local media and are getting a more unfiltered big picture makes you especially 'stupid' and a 'target for insult' in some quarters.

I don't allow President Obama to be taken out of context by those who think it necessary to do that. And I appreciate Mitt being kept in context too.

And in the grand scheme of thing, are either of their views what is really important about the 2012 Olympics?

I know, Foxy... apparently, cheering a country that is not my own means my loyalty to my country is in doubt... regardless of the fact that that country was not competing against my own. :lol:

Context is important, we know that... I just wish other posters would learn it.

Well, if I lived there I would support the locals.

I always like to see the Brits do well, so long as they're not beating my country to do so. I always cheer on Ireland... because it's where my family originate from. Feels like I owe them some support. Sad individuals who are so obsessed with scoring points that they make themselves look stupid are rather par for the course on USMB.

Speaking of loyalty, the English usually favour favour the Irish, Scotish and Welsh rugby and football teams over the likes of France and Germany. But whenever you ask the Celts who they'll be cheering when their overlord takes to the field, the treacherous ingrates unanimously favour England's opponent.

I have noticed that. Even Andy Murray says he cheers on anyone playing against England! Fucking traitor! :lol:

They can't defend their guy so to get him re-elected, they have to somehow take down Mitt. And because Mitt has provided so little ammunition to use for doing that, they have to make sh*t up. And to use something that should be as innocent a apolitical as the Olympics to do it, is shameful.

Speaking of loyalty, the English usually favour the Irish, Scotish and Welsh rugby and football teams over the likes of France and Germany. But whenever you ask the Celts who they'll be cheering when their overlord takes to the field, the treacherous ingrates unanimously favour England's opponent.

And I have noted the Brits also cheering an American when appropriate to do so too.

He was referring to these:

1. a security company contracted to provide thousands of security personnel who did not deliver on their contract. The Brit military got called in to fill the breach. Police forces from around the country had to send extra officers to London to back up their police presence... leaving other areas of the country with less police.

2. Union workers undertaking passport control threatened to strike over pay and conditions the day before the games started.

3. London taxi drivers also threatened industrial action over the use of 'Olympic lanes' on the roads.

It was a clusterfuck in the run up to the games. Romney was right. The Brits had some wheels to put back on... fast.

Security was indeed a clusterfuck. Not sure what you can do about union workers. Fairly standard union practice to hold everyone to ransom when there's an event that is a can't miss. The unions know that the government have no choice but to negotiate. I'm surprised this didn't happen more. On the other hand, if any union did it, I would have put money on it being the transport unions.

Well, yea... but it does demonstrate that Romney was actually right about what he said. Not that the left care about reality... it's a political point scoring opportunity.

True, though I thought he could have phrased it more delicately. OTOH, I think Cameron's "middle of nowhere" comeback was a tad petulant and unnecessary too.

Very true.

Security was indeed a clusterfuck. Not sure what you can do about union workers. Fairly standard union practice to hold everyone to ransom when there's an event that is a can't miss. The unions know that the government have no choice but to negotiate. I'm surprised this didn't happen more. On the other hand, if any union did it, I would have put money on it being the transport unions.

Well, yea... but it does demonstrate that Romney was actually right about what he said. Not that the left care about reality... it's a political point scoring opportunity.

True, though I thought he could have phrased it more delicately. OTOH, I think Cameron's "middle of nowhere" comeback was a tad petulant and unnecessary too.

Actually, I laughed when I heard Cameron's reply. I don't think anyone here is taking it as seriously as the left in the US are.

Just an example of negative imaging from Hollywood movies.

Salt Lake City was the best Olympics I've seen so far. Who cares if it's not in a bustling city. I would think such a thing would be a bad thing in a winter Olympics.

And I have noted the Brits also cheering an American when appropriate to do so too.

There was a huge cheer for the US at the opening ceremony. They can't all have been Americans. :lol:

Actually, I laughed when I heard Cameron's reply. I don't think anyone here is taking it as seriously as the left in the US are.

I was in salt Lake for the Sundance Film Fest this year (my wife exec produced one of the shorts). It is in the middle of nowhere. A very beautiful nowhere, but nowhere nonetheless.

But neither amounted to a small hill of beans, it all merited maybe a line or two at the time they happened, and then move on. But to beat them into a frenzy and use such a small controversy to spoil what should be yet another great and glorious Olympic event is so childish and so dumb.

Blood's thicker than water, Fox. Despite bickering incessantly, no two nations on earth stand for each other's values and interests more than ours.

But neither amounted to a small hill of beans, it all merited maybe a line or two at the time they happened, and then move on. But to beat them into a frenzy and use such a small controversy and spoil what should be yet another great and glorious Olympic event is so childish and so dumb.

It's election year. Everything gets blown out of proportion.

Forum List

Back