Looking for NEW SUV/Crossover

My wife and I are looking at replacing our current 2008 Chevy HHR with something new. While we love the HHR, it's lack of 4WD is becoming an issue with the location of our new house

I'm hoping to get some insight and advice from the posters about what I should and shouldn't be looking at. Here's what we're looking for:

1. An American vehicle. Preferably both an American Company AND American assembly/parts as much as possible.

2. A small to mid-sized SUV or Crossover vehicle with 4WD in the $25-30K range. Will not be used off-road or for towing.

3. Capability over Luxury. Heated side mirrors are preferable to heated seats. Roof rack is preferred to a sun roof.

4. Gas mileage is more important than power but it has to have enough engine to get out of its own way.

So far, we're just doing research. Won't be buying until probably April. Any constructuve input is greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest vehicles from foreign companies, regardless of where their cars are assembled. They are not being considered.

we looked recently at a Cadillac SUV

it was pretty nice had seats that both heated and vibrated

--LOL

outbacks made in indiana

But the COMPANY is not an American one. I'm trying to find an American built car from an American company.... if possible. If I can't, then I'll have to decide what's more important to me - Company Location or Manufacturing locstion.

UPDATE:

My wife and I went th of the Auto Show on Saturday, hoping to complete our research on vehicles. Thankfully we had free entrance coupons because the $4.00 I had to pay for the parking was more than our 35 minute lap through the limited available offerings at the show was worth. Probably the worst laid out trade show I've ever seen.

So, since we still hadn't gotten a chance to get a good look at the Ford Escape, we left the show and went to a,local Ford dealer. The vehicle handled nicely, comes with most of the options we/she want (in the Titanium model) and as my brother works for a Ford dealer in upstate NY, we can get Family and Friends pricing.

We then went back to the Jeep dealer and test drove a Cherokee again. Just for good measure.

We're both in agreement on the Escape. We're probably going to end up with options I don't think we need, but my wife really likes. Likely to be a $33,000 sticker price vehicle. Now to get the taxes done and see what the bank will give us in terms of a loan.

Fun (NOT) times to come.

For anyone who might be wondering, the Ford Escape is manufactured in Louisville, KY and has been for at least 5 or 6 years.

Avoid the dual-clutch transmission (called "Power Shift" by Ford)...it has been quite problematic.

$33,000 for a compact SUV. Ye fucking gods. You can get a Grand Cherokee Laredo for that!

Avoid the dual-clutch transmission (called "Power Shift" by Ford)...it has been quite problematic.

$33,000 for a compact SUV. Ye fucking gods. You can get a Grand Cherokee Laredo for that!

No Power Shift on the Escape.

$32,500 is the sticker for the escape Titanium (leather and mist if the gadgets) with navigation. Including tax and fees, I should be able to get out the door at about $29,400.

Grand Cherokee with similar equipment would be $5-7,000 more. Cherokee similarly equipped is $2,500-4,000 more.

Look at the Honda CRV. Made in Ohio.

They last forever, ride like a bigger vehicle, handle like a champ, and have more room inside than you think.

AWD is available. Resale value is excellent.

He won't.

Sticker on a Laredo (I recall nav is standard) is under $31k.

Honestly...for 30 large...screw an suv, gimme a hemi Charger!

Forum List

Back