Looking Forward To The Day I Can Get A Greenhouse

ActionJackson

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2023
Utah
It seems a bit out of reach under the current economic circumstances but I hope to get a cabin in the wilderness some day soon and build my own greenhouse. I like the idea of growing my own veggies using natural, heirloom seeds. I never know if the veggies I buy in grocery stores are GMO or not. Many will say they're "non-GMO" but can I trust anything on today's food labels? Not sure.

In the meantime, I have seen some interesting ways of growing vegetable in a small, cramped space:

iu

They have some decent kits out there that give you good options. Like being able to open it up during the summer and for ease of access.

My brother is making pretty good money just growing certain herbs in his garage. And no, it isn't pot, but some homeopathic type high quality stuff he sells in the local markets and online. He makes his own hydroponic systems and blends his own soil. He was an ag business major at A&M so that sort of thing is up his alley, but yes, as others have said there is a lot of stuff on the market these days that are sustainable and affordable for even working class incomes out there. And, no pesticides or weird alien mutant seeds needed either.

I have a huge truck garden but am seriously considering going into indoor farming using my barn and going with a vertical drip system and other types. I've been checking out some companies that sell gardening options in used shipping containers for ideas. I can build what I need myself but need to look into stuff like lighting systems and pumps and air conditioning systems they use for that. They can be used year round, not just during the spring and summer months.

Last edited:
My brother is making pretty good money just growing certain herbs in his garage. And no, it isn't pot, but some homeopathic type high quality stuff he sells in the local markets and online. He makes his own hydroponic systems and blends his own soil. He was an ag business major at A&M so that sort of thing is up his alley, but yes, as others have said there is a lot of stuff on the market theses days that are sustainable and affordable for even working class incomes out there. And, no pesticides or weird alien mutant seeds needed either.

I have a huge truck garden but am seriously considering going into indoor farming using my barn and going with a vertical drip system and other types. I've been checking out some companies that sell gardening options in used shipping containers for ideas. I can build what I need myself but need to look into stuff like lighting systems and pumps and air conditioning systems they use for that. They can be used year round, not just during the spring and summer months.

What I see being done as far as gardening is amazing. Tiny spaces providing volume food.

Hazard Fraught has you covered.

7thjyo.jpg

lol I have neighbors who are suckers for that sort of stuff. They could do better by just walking around a Home Depot once in awhile and buy a few cheap hand tools, but they won't for some reason, they need instant gratification I guess.

What I see being done as far as gardening is amazing. Tiny spaces providing volume food.

Those vertical farms in New York City come to mind; if they're not lying about the costs and yields, yes, they are amazing.

This pic is something along the lines I want to build in my barn.

indoor-farm-2.png

It seems a bit out of reach under the current economic circumstances but I hope to get a cabin in the wilderness some day soon and build my own greenhouse. I like the idea of growing my own veggies using natural, heirloom seeds. I never know if the veggies I buy in grocery stores are GMO or not. Many will say they're "non-GMO" but can I trust anything on today's food labels? Not sure.

In the meantime, I have seen some interesting ways of growing vegetable in a small, cramped space:

iu
I bought packaged seeds at a Dollar General this year. None of them sprouted. I ended up buying a couple tomato plants from Albertsons. Garden fail this year.

I bought packaged seeds at a Dollar General this year. None of them sprouted. I ended up buying a couple tomato plants from Albertsons. Garden fail this year.
That's partially why I like the idea of a greenhouse. Temps, light, and humidity can be controlled to place the plants in optimum growing conditions. But I would buy my seeds from a reputable, anti-GMO grower who would sell guaranteed heirloom seeds.

Try this company. I have had great results with their seeds.

Seed selling has turned into a real criminal racket these days. I try and buy local if I can, from neighbors who already grow their own stuff. I have a few small seed beds already dug and set up for different types of crops. It's pain in the ass but once you get them up the first time its easy form then on, low maintenance and a few barrows of manure or straw and certain additives deoending on what you're planting. My local soil isn't very good quality so I bring in a few truckloads from better spots every couple of years or so.

Seed selling has turned into a real criminal racket these days. I try and buy local if I can, from neighbors who already grow their own stuff. I have a few small seed beds already dug and set up for different types of crops. It's pain in the ass but once you get them up the first time its easy form then on, low maintenance and a few barrows of manure or straw and certain additives deoending on what you're planting. My local soil isn't very good quality so I bring in a few truckloads from better spots every couple of years or so.
Is it true that epsom salt works in the soil? I keep reading that online.

I have MANY heirloom seeds...from tomatoes to corn to garlic.

But after 20 years of looking...just today...I FINALLY have heirloom CHERRY TOMATO seeds! (great timing of your thread)!

I planted nothing last year due to heart surgery...but a cherry tomato plant grew on its own.

Last fall I thunked...if I save seed and it grows next year and I get cherry tomatoes...I know it's heiroom and I will finally have the seed I've been trying to find.

Welp, it's next year now...the plant is growing and I picked the first 2 cherry tomatoes off it today.

Now if the end of the world strikes tomorrow I will STILL have heirloom cherry tomato seed to plant in future years :yes_text12:
:banana:

I have MANY heirloom seeds...from tomatoes to corn to garlic.

But after 20 years of looking...just today...I FINALLY have heirloom CHERRY TOMATO seeds! (great timing of your thread)!

I planted nothing last year due to heart surgery...but a cherry tomato plant grew on its own.

Last fall I thunked...if I save seed and it grows next year and I get cherry tomatoes...I know it's heiroom and I will finally have the seed I've been trying to find.

Welp, it's next year now...the plant is growing and I picked the first 2 cherry tomatoes off it today.

Now if the end of the world strikes tomorrow I will STILL have heirloom cherry tomato seed to plant in future years :yes_text12:
:banana:

It is the little things that will sustain us.

iu

There's nothing wrong with GMO seeds. In many cases they are far superior to the original plant.

Forum List

Back