Losing a Friend....

I don't think you're being selfish at all. You're trying to figure out the best thing to do for your friend. Its a wrenching thing, what your going through, and you're trying to put your own feelings aside for what is best for someone (a horse is a someone, he's family, no less) else. I might be wrong, attributing human feelings to a horse, and I must admit I have no experience with horses. I just think, if he loves you as much as you love him, he'd appreciate being settled into his new home by his "dad."

We all "personify" our animals. They don't really have emotions the same way that we do, but they do definitely have opinions on things and know who/what they like and don't like.

As much as I hate to say it, being settled into his new home by his new "mom" and "aunt" is actually a better thing than having me try to settle him in would be. I won't be happy about it, and it's going to be an utterly miserable day for me, but if I'm being totally honest, it's probably in his best interest that I stay behind and come for a visit in a couple of weeks/months rather than doing it on Saturday.

Hugs

Well for one thing you can come here and yammer all day long. :)

Do you have to attend a class at the gym to go to the gym? How about taking a drive in the other direction? Go and see a movie? Rent some movies?

Truthfully what may be the best thing is to stay home and just have a good cry and come to terms with it all. Hugs.

The "yammering" I'm likely to do on Saturday is not going to be positive, polite, happy, or friendly for the most part. I tend to turn into a real Grinch when I'm not in a good mood.

I'm skipping the class to help load him, and people know that so it would be kind of awkward to walk in later. Besides it would probably just lead to a whole lot of discussions that I'm probably really not going to want to have.

I'm thinking about maybe scheduling a massage for Saturday afternoon. I haven't had one in a couple of months and could really use one even without this stress. A 90 minute Deep Tissue massage for $85 + tip. You almost can't beat it. Then maybe pick up something I know I shouldn't have for dinner on the way home.... Full rack of ribs, mashed potatoes, mozerella stick appetizer, cheesecake for dessert and a 2 liter bottle of Coke to wash it all down.

Thanks for the thought and support. It really is appreciated.

Hugs

Well for one thing you can come here and yammer all day long. :)

Do you have to attend a class at the gym to go to the gym? How about taking a drive in the other direction? Go and see a movie? Rent some movies?

Truthfully what may be the best thing is to stay home and just have a good cry and come to terms with it all. Hugs.

The "yammering" I'm likely to do on Saturday is not going to be positive, polite, happy, or friendly for the most part. I tend to turn into a real Grinch when I'm not in a good mood.

I'm skipping the class to help load him, and people know that so it would be kind of awkward to walk in later. Besides it would probably just lead to a whole lot of discussions that I'm probably really not going to want to have.

I'm thinking about maybe scheduling a massage for Saturday afternoon. I haven't had one in a couple of months and could really use one even without this stress. A 90 minute Deep Tissue massage for $85 + tip. You almost can't beat it. Then maybe pick up something I know I shouldn't have for dinner on the way home.... Full rack of ribs, mashed potatoes, mozerella stick appetizer, cheesecake for dessert and a 2 liter bottle of Coke to wash it all down.

Thanks for the thought and support. It really is appreciated.

Now that sounds great to me.

You'll do what is best. Just know, for whatever its worth, that mine and others hearts hurt a little bit with yours for what yours going through.

I went out to the barn on Wednesday night and spent about an hour and a half with Dyre, just hanging out. I felt almost like I couldn't look him in the face. He knows something's up. Of that I am sure.

I meet up with his new owner tonight to finish signing the paperwork and get the final payment from her. I've got all of Dyre's gear in the back of my car right now. Been driving around with it in there for almost a week now. It depresses me every time I look at it. I'll turn that over to Jackie this evening as well. Then the only thing she needs to deal with tomorrow is Dyre, himself.

I dread tomorrow morning almost more than I can explain. I know this is in his best interest but I still feel like the guy who just turned his best friend in to the cops for something I did too. This is not going to be easy. Nor will it be fun. I'm going to assauge my guilt/sorrow tomorrow with a massage and probably a movie while he's headed to a new home where he doesn't really know anyone. God, a feel like such a heel.

This coming Saturday I am going to have to do one of the toughest things in the world.... Help load a great friend of mine, probably my best friend in the world, onto a trailer and watch as he moves on with a new owner.

For personal, not financial reasons, I've had to sell my 17 year old Fjord Horse gelding. I'm looking at making some major changes in my life this year and I was not confident that I could continue to do right by him if I kept him. So I put him up for sale in late November. He's being bought by a wonderful lady who will have him boarded with a quartet of Icelandic horses. The two of them get on wonderfully, and I think it's going to be a great match for both of them. That really isn't making it that much easier for me to say "goodbye" to him. His new owner has told me that I'm welcome to visit him anytime, and that she's going to try and keep me updated on how and what they're doing together as well. She seems like a marvelous lady.

Which brings me to my dillema..... I have the opportunity to drive the two hours between the farm where I currently board the horse and where he's going on Saturday and see that he gets settled into the new place. My roommate (who is much more horse-savy than I am) has suggested that I not do that due to the emotions. Part of me really wants to, though. I've seen the new place. The horse is gonna love it there. It's a great place.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or input on whether it's a good idea to just let him get on the trailer and "ride off into the sunset", or to go and see him get settled in at his new home?

Follow your heart

Can you spend the night with Dyre?

Not really. At least not at this time of year. I'll be there for his loading tomorrow morning, so I'll have another chance to say "goodbye". It'll probably be April or May before I get up to Maine to see him. By then he should be well adjusted to the new place and his new "mom". It's just going to be a long and painful weekend.

Can you spend the night with Dyre?

Not really. At least not at this time of year. I'll be there for his loading tomorrow morning, so I'll have another chance to say "goodbye". It'll probably be April or May before I get up to Maine to see him. By then he should be well adjusted to the new place and his new "mom". It's just going to be a long and painful weekend.

Take care of "dad" as well as you would take care of Drye. You know how to calm him dont you? Do the same thing for you. :)

do you have pics of him that you would care to share?

Take care of "dad" as well as you would take care of Drye. You know how to calm him dont you? Do the same thing for you. :)

I'm working on that. I'm gonna stop and pick up some comfort food on the way home tonight. I've got a 90 minute hot stone massage and maybe some shopping or a movie scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, then more comfort food on the way home.

do you have pics of him that you would care to share?

Sure....

WhatchaDoin2.jpg

DyreGrazing.jpg

Well, He's gone.

He loaded pretty nicely onto the trailer this morning and was off to his new home at about 8:20am. That means he should be there in about an hour. I feel like Judas Iscariot right now. It's a terrible feeling. I know that he'll be better off there, but it really doesn't make me feel much better right now.

Well, He's gone.

He loaded pretty nicely onto the trailer this morning and was off to his new home at about 8:20am. That means he should be there in about an hour. I feel like Judas Iscariot right now. It's a terrible feeling. I know that he'll be better off there, but it really doesn't make me feel much better right now.

(((hugs)))

Well, He's gone.

I'm very sorry for your pain. Being a responsible parent means putting your beloved's welfare before your own. You did the right and honorable thing. That you stayed behind and allowed your horse to begin the bonding period now, simply shows how much you do love him. Well done. *Many warm hugs your way today.. Do something nice for yourself and most of all, be good to you.

Thanks folks.

He arrived at his new home in Southern Maine just before noontime today. I have been told that he unloaded beautifully, and went right out onto a drylot adjacent to the one that the four Icelandic Horses who aleady live there are in. Both of the mares came over to introduce themselves, though the two boys were much less interested in Dyre. Apparently he's settling in nicely and without a fuss. That makes me feel a lot better, though it doesn't take all the pain away.

I had a nice hot stone massage this afternoon and a couple hour ride around Central Massachusetts to clear my head. I stopped at a local chain steakhouse for dinner, and that's when things got a little odd. I was by myself, and when I asked for a take-away box for the remnants of my dinner and the for the check, I was told that someone at another table had already paid for my dinner. I don't know anyone who was at any of the tables (my waitress only knew what area of the restaurant the party was in, not which table specifically). I walked out through that area and I don't know a single person who was sitting over there. I don't know if it was Karma or what, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks folks.

He arrived at his new home in Southern Maine just before noontime today. I have been told that he unloaded beautifully, and went right out onto a drylot adjacent to the one that the four Icelandic Horses who aleady live there are in. Both of the mares came over to introduce themselves, though the two boys were much less interested in Dyre. Apparently he's settling in nicely and without a fuss. That makes me feel a lot better, though it doesn't take all the pain away.

I had a nice hot stone massage this afternoon and a couple hour ride around Central Massachusetts to clear my head. I stopped at a local chain steakhouse for dinner, and that's when things got a little odd. I was by myself, and when I asked for a take-away box for the remnants of my dinner and the for the check, I was told that someone at another table had already paid for my dinner. I don't know anyone who was at any of the tables (my waitress only knew what area of the restaurant the party was in, not which table specifically). I walked out through that area and I don't know a single person who was sitting over there. I don't know if it was Karma or what, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Hugs. I am glad someone saw your pain.. :) I hope it made you smile.

Hugs. I am glad someone saw your pain.. :) I hope it made you smile.

I have no idea what the impetus for this individual's Random Act of Kindness was. At first it shocked me. I've done that for others I didn't know in the past, and had it done for me by people I know; but never by a complete and total stranger. It made me smile, but it also perplexed me a little bit. I'm not generally the sort of person who you would expect to get that type of reaction from anyone. I'm not complaining, but it's gonna have me scratching my head for a while.

Forum List

Back