Losing weight doesn’t actually improve health biomarkers, and thin people aren't healthier

I think i see where lil derp brain is confused.

This article REALLY breaks it down for you in lamens terms koshergrl.

Hopefully youll learn something and lose the neck on your necks.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/0...-death-risk-for-the-overweight.html?referrer=

From your link, retard:

" The report on nearly three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight..."

"...those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people."

"... experts also suggested that concepts of fat be refined.
“Fat per se is not as bad as we thought,” said Dr. Kamyar Kalantar-Zadeh, professor of medicine and public health at the University of California, Irvine."

"... overweight or somewhat obese people are less likely to die..."

"The study did find that people 65 and over had no greater mortality risk even at high obesity.
“There’s something about extra body fat when you’re older that is providing some reserve,” Dr. Eckel said."
And studies on specific illnesses, like heart and kidney disease, have found an “obesity paradox,” that heavier patients are less likely to die."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/0...h-risk-for-the-overweight.html?referrer=&_r=0

I think i see where lil derp brain is confused.

This article REALLY breaks it down for you in lamens terms koshergrl.

Hopefully youll learn something and lose the neck on your necks.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/0...-death-risk-for-the-overweight.html?referrer=

From your link, retard:

" The report on nearly three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight..."

"...those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people."

"... experts also suggested that concepts of fat be refined.
“Fat per se is not as bad as we thought,” said Dr. Kamyar Kalantar-Zadeh, professor of medicine and public health at the University of California, Irvine."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/0...h-risk-for-the-overweight.html?referrer=&_r=0
Of course you didnt read the article for context.

Who woulda guessed!!

I knew youd get confused koshergrl. It wasnt a matter of if, it was when.

"Obese people had the greater mortality risk overall"

Same story.

Same page

The two somehow come from the same study.

I can see why a really really stupid pretentious fatass might get confooo00ozed.

Ask yourself this:

How many really old fat people do you see?

Good grief, that's a retarded argument. You loons know that, right?

"There is more evidence that people who are overweight tend to live longer than people who are underweight, normal weight, or obese."

Study Overweight People Live Longer
I've been studying people for a long time and the older they are the thinner they are.

That's just anecdotal and completely irrelevant.
Only if you go through life with blinders on. It's obviously heavy people don't live as long, it's stupid to even argue the point.

Carrying extra weight is bad for your knees and ankles. It's also just been reported obese patients have more post-operative infections. A simple formula is if you want a treat you have to pay for it with extra exercise. A doughnut means an extra 15 minutes of sweat...pay now or pay later.
animated-fat-smiley-image-0003.gif

"
Compared to people who fell into the normal-weight category:
  • Those classified as underweight were 73% more likely to die.
  • Those classified as extremely obese with BMI of 35 or greater were 36% more likely to die.
  • Those classified as obese with BMI 30-34.9 had about the same risk of death.
  • Those classified as overweight with BMI 25-29.9 were 17% less likely to die."
If you want to argue, argue with the study, not by calling me names and saying 'wait I don't know any fat people therefore the CDC is full of shit!"

Because you're just embarrassing yourselves.

if you paid attention to your own "WebMD" link (now there's a medical journal for ya!) it says that obesity and extreme underweight are still linked to earlier death.

not quite sure what your problem is.

it isn't healthy to be fat. that is different from having a few extra pounds ... which they do say helps as you get older.

"
Compared to people who fell into the normal-weight category:
  • Those classified as underweight were 73% more likely to die.
  • Those classified as extremely obese with BMI of 35 or greater were 36% more likely to die.
  • Those classified as obese with BMI 30-34.9 had about the same risk of death.
  • Those classified as overweight with BMI 25-29.9 were 17% less likely to die."
If you want to argue, argue with the study, not by calling me names and saying 'wait I don't know any fat people therefore the CDC is full of shit!"

Because you're just embarrassing yourselves.

if you paid attention to your own "WebMD" link (now there's a medical journal for ya!) it says that obesity and extreme underweight are still linked to earlier death.

not quite sure what your problem is.

it isn't healthy to be fat. that is different from having a few extra pounds ... which they do say helps as you get older.

No, it says EXTREME obesity.

And they say it IS healthy to be fat. Just not EXTREMELY fat. You should read more.

CDC is wrong. My blood pressure and triglycerides both improved when I lost weight.
Probably because you were exercising.

Exercise DOES matter.
I lost 40 lbs with hardly any exercize. Diet is 80% of weight loss.

Previous generations didn't have gym memberships, obesity is a fairly recent epidemic.

Its food related.
I never said any different.

The premise of the article in the OP is that the current diatribe that being overweight is unhealthy in and of itself is not true, based on the statistics which show that overweight people tend to live longer and enjoy better health than their skinny counterparts.

Yeah, but if you read the article you linked, they aren't sure why, and they leave open false causality from the study, i.e. correlation (overweight) isn't causation (longer lives).

The article states that one reason why people who are overweight live longer may be because they receive more aggressive medical attention as they are more likely to have health problems. Therefore, if people of normal weight aren't treated as aggressively or misdiagnosed, they might live shorter lives. Though we don't know, this is intuitively logical as studies routinely and consistently show that those things which make us fatter are unhealthy.

I also get that really skinny people may not live as long, but there is ample evidence that those who restrict calories over their lifetimes live longer lives.

Forum List

Back