Losing weight doesn’t actually improve health biomarkers, and thin people aren't healthier

This is not a co-incidence.

d733d3fe06937c3ace0eba997e42d68ffc7c7d33.jpg

BTW, I'm betting that no one actually read the study linked on the Slate page. Here is an important fact.

Across the 21 trials, the average amount of weight loss maintained among participants in diet conditions from baseline to follow-up was 0.94kg. Participants in the diet conditions averaged a weight loss of 1.49kg more than that of participants in the control groups.​

IOW, in the study, the difference between those who dieted and those who did not was a loss of 3 - count 'em, 1, 2, 3 - pounds.

So, of course, if the difference is 3 pounds, you won't see much difference in health outcomes.

What the article states is that dieting does not lead to healthier outcomes, and that is probably true, since people do not maintain that diet once they're finished. Yo-yo dieting does not work. But living a healthier lifestyle does. Eating less, eating better and exercise is better for you.

There were some interesting things in that article, such as this

Likewise, we don’t fully understand the relationship between weight and overall mortality. Many of us assume it’s a linear relationship, meaning the higher your BMI, the higher your risk of early death. But Katherine Flegal, an epidemiologist with the CDC, has consistently found a J-shaped curve, with the highest death rates among those at either end of the BMI spectrum and the lowest rates in the “overweight” and “mildly obese” categories.​

People will look at this and might think "Ah, I'm overweight and middle-aged, therefore my mortality rate is lower than someone who is also middle-aged and a bit underweight. Therefore, I should maintain my current heavy weight."

There is some evidence that it's good for older people to be a bit overweight because the extra weight helps during when they are in the hospital. Most people experience health problems later in life. The extra weight for an older person may help them sustain life in times when their bodies are under stress, thus extending their life spans.

But the extra weight is almost certainly bad for the 45 year-old man.

Also, if people are really skinny because they've deprived themselves of critical nutrients throughout their lives, it wouldn't be a surprise if they live shorter lives.

"Studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention repeatedly find the lowest mortality rates among people whose body mass index puts them in the “overweight” and “mildly obese” categories. And recent research suggests that losing weight doesn’t actually improve health biomarkers such as blood pressure, fasting glucose, or triglyceride levels for most people.
"So why, then, are we so deeply invested in treatments that not only fail to do what they’re supposed to—make people thinner and healthier—but often actively makes people fatter, sicker, and more miserable?"

"“Maintaining weight loss is not a lifestyle,” she says. “It’s a job.” It’s a job that requires not just time, self-discipline, and energy—it also takes up a lot of mental real estate. People who maintain weight loss over the long term typically make it their top priority in life. Which is not always possible. Or desirable."

"Obese patients with heart disease, heart failure, diabetes, kidney disease, pneumonia, and many other chronic diseases fare better and live longer than those of normal weight."

Diets do not work The thin evidence that losing weight makes you healthier.

very telling that you would post something like this, have another krispy kreme donut

Is this thread an attempt by koshergrl to excuse why she is so fat?

Oh boy. Gotta disagree with this. First off, it isn't maintaining weight loss. It's maintaining a healthy weight. I've seen lots of old people, none of them are make it to 90 if they are overweight. If you want to make it to 80 you can be a little overweight but if you are constantly "dieting" you are doing something wrong. Eat what you need to sustain health.

I'd also argue that many or most diseases are preventable with a healthy diet, food your body needs, not what you crave. Food is fuel and food is good medicine!
Except what you're saying..it's not true. It's the modern meme..and none of it is true.
It is true. Where are all the fat old people?

There are lots of fat old people, silly.

Oh boy. Gotta disagree with this. First off, it isn't maintaining weight loss. It's maintaining a healthy weight. I've seen lots of old people, none of them are make it to 90 if they are overweight. If you want to make it to 80 you can be a little overweight but if you are constantly "dieting" you are doing something wrong. Eat what you need to sustain health.

I'd also argue that many or most diseases are preventable with a healthy diet, food your body needs, not what you crave. Food is fuel and food is good medicine!
Except what you're saying..it's not true. It's the modern meme..and none of it is true.
It is true. Where are all the fat old people?

There are lots of fat old people, silly.

Show us one over 100

CDC is wrong. My blood pressure and triglycerides both improved when I lost weight.
Probably because you were exercising.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

I will tell you, though, that there are 8-10 of us at work who've all gone on various diets or lifestyle changes since the beginning of the year, and we've all lost weight and we've all improved our biometrics to some extent.

I have cycled 25-35 miles a week for the better part of the last decade, and have stepped it up even more recently, but whenever I've focused on eating better - and less - I've seen my blood pressure decline significantly from pre-hypertension levels to normal.

Last edited:
How retarded do you have to be to post something like this?

No, for real, scale of 1 to 10?

Dont you have any life experience ?

Know people? Etc?

I have trained people who their health vitals go from zero to hero almost instantaneously through eating well and the exercise.

Its far too many to be anecdotal.

Op is dumb as rocks.

CDC is wrong. My blood pressure and triglycerides both improved when I lost weight.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

I will tell you, though, that there are 8-10 of us at work who've all gone on various diets or lifestyle changes and lifestyle changes since the beginning of the year, and we've all lost weight and we've all improved our biometrics to some extent.

I have cycled 25-35 miles a week for the better part of the last decade, and have stepped it up even more recently, but whenever I've focused on eating better - and less - I've seen my blood pressure decline significantly from pre-hypertension levels to normal.
It's the exercise. Not the weight. Anybody who is overweight will tell you that just walking a couple of miles a day improves their bP and other vitals significantly...though they haven't lost any weight at all.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

I will tell you, though, that there are 8-10 of us at work who've all gone on various diets or lifestyle changes and lifestyle changes since the beginning of the year, and we've all lost weight and we've all improved our biometrics to some extent.

Being healthy is 25% exercise, 75% diet. Thats probably why.

Know people? Etc?

I have trained people who their health vitals go from zero to hero almost instantaneously through eating well and the exercise.

Op is dumb as rocks.

Exercise.

Sorry, you apparently don't understand how science works. The information in the OP is based on actual scientific data and studies. Try, try again, loon.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

It's the exercise. Not the weight. Anybody who is overweight will tell you that just walking a couple of miles a day improves their bP and other vitals significantly...though they haven't lost any weight at all.
If they started walking from not walking yet didnt lose any weight - its because they gained muscle but decreased stored fat.

Thats what exercise does.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

No, being SKINNY is 25% exercise, 75 percent diet. There's no evidence that being skinny is more healthy than being fat, or that skinny people live longer or more healthily.

Sowwy.

So, now koshergrl likes the federal government :lol:

They're not right about anything, but now that they're giving her the ok to be a fat ass, they're all good :thup:

:rofl:
What on earth are you talking about, psycho?
The cdc is a federal entity. You're a conservative; so, naturally, you hate the federal govt and don't trust them to do anything right. But now that you think the cdc is saying it's ok to be obese, you're all up in their shit singing their praises. Did you really need that explained to you?

Know people? Etc?

Op is dumb as rocks.

Exercise.

Sorry, you apparently don't understand how science works. The information in the OP is based on actual scientific data and studies. Try, try again, loon.
I can find 8 million studies that will show you how a healthy diet improves all health vitals

But with your selective inclination to self justify being a fat ass.....why not just tell you to...........DO THE FUCKING RESEARCH YOURSELF.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

No, being SKINNY is 25% exercise, 75 percent diet. There's no evidence that being skinny is more healthy than being fat, or that skinny people live longer or more healthily.

Sowwy.
So, when will your episode of My 600 lb Life be airing?

Forum List

Back