Losing weight doesn’t actually improve health biomarkers, and thin people aren't healthier

CDC is wrong. My blood pressure and triglycerides both improved when I lost weight.
Probably because you were exercising.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

I will tell you, though, that there are 8-10 of us at work who've all gone on various diets or lifestyle changes and lifestyle changes since the beginning of the year, and we've all lost weight and we've all improved our biometrics to some extent.

I have cycled 25-35 miles a week for the better part of the last decade, and have stepped it up even more recently, but whenever I've focused on eating better - and less - I've seen my blood pressure decline significantly from pre-hypertension levels to normal.
Being healthy is 25% exercise, 75% diet. Thats probably why.
No, being SKINNY is 25% exercise, 75 percent diet. There's no evidence that being skinny is more healthy than being fat, or that skinny people live longer or more healthily.

Sowwy.
Umm...theres actually a fuck ton of evidence for JUST that.

For example, men holding excess weight n their stomachs greatly increase their risk for heart attacks and heart disease.

Do you need more, or no?

Would it all be lost on you?

Oh boy. Gotta disagree with this. First off, it isn't maintaining weight loss. It's maintaining a healthy weight. I've seen lots of old people, none of them are make it to 90 if they are overweight. If you want to make it to 80 you can be a little overweight but if you are constantly "dieting" you are doing something wrong. Eat what you need to sustain health.

I'd also argue that many or most diseases are preventable with a healthy diet, food your body needs, not what you crave. Food is fuel and food is good medicine!
Except what you're saying..it's not true. It's the modern meme..and none of it is true.
It is true. Where are all the fat old people?

There are lots of fat old people, silly.

Show us one over 100

In fairness, there's a saying that "To live to 80, you need a good lifestyle. To live to 100, you need good genes."

CDC is wrong. My blood pressure and triglycerides both improved when I lost weight.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

I will tell you, though, that there are 8-10 of us at work who've all gone on various diets or lifestyle changes and lifestyle changes since the beginning of the year, and we've all lost weight and we've all improved our biometrics to some extent.

I have cycled 25-35 miles a week for the better part of the last decade, and have stepped it up even more recently, but whenever I've focused on eating better - and less - I've seen my blood pressure decline significantly from pre-hypertension levels to normal.
It's the exercise. Not the weight. Anybody who is overweight will tell you that just walking a couple of miles a day improves their bP and other vitals significantly...though they haven't lost any weight at all.
If they started walking from not walking yet didnt lose any weight - its because they gained muscle but decreased stored fat.

Thats what exercise does.

I'm sorry you can't, or won't, read.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

No, being SKINNY is 25% exercise, 75 percent diet. There's no evidence that being skinny is more healthy than being fat, or that skinny people live longer or more healthily.

Sowwy.

For example, men holding excess weight n their stomachs greatly increase their risk for heart attacks and heart disease.

Do you need more, or no?

You should contest the points of the information I provided in the OP specifically. Not just blather mindlessly.

So, now koshergrl likes the federal government :lol:

They're not right about anything, but now that they're giving her the ok to be a fat ass, they're all good :thup:

:rofl:
What on earth are you talking about, psycho?
The cdc is a federal entity. You're a conservative; so, naturally, you hate the federal govt and don't trust them to do anything right. But now that you think the cdc is saying it's ok to be obese, you're all up in their shit singing their praises. Did you really need that explained to you?
What is with you loons thinking you have the authority to tell me what I think?

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

Sowwy.

Do you need more, or no?

You should contest the points of the information I provided in the OP specifically. Not just blather mindlessly.
Theres nothing mindless about it.

Diet is extremely important for your health. To deny that is the height of retardation.

You can sit there and try and wish away the negative effects of a poor diet.....but sawwy, the data is in. All you need to do is try your fat fingers out on some google.

"Studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention repeatedly find the lowest mortality rates among people whose body mass index puts them in the “overweight” and “mildly obese” categories. And recent research suggests that losing weight doesn’t actually improve health biomarkers such as blood pressure, fasting glucose, or triglyceride levels for most people.
"So why, then, are we so deeply invested in treatments that not only fail to do what they’re supposed to—make people thinner and healthier—but often actively makes people fatter, sicker, and more miserable?"

"“Maintaining weight loss is not a lifestyle,” she says. “It’s a job.” It’s a job that requires not just time, self-discipline, and energy—it also takes up a lot of mental real estate. People who maintain weight loss over the long term typically make it their top priority in life. Which is not always possible. Or desirable."

"Obese patients with heart disease, heart failure, diabetes, kidney disease, pneumonia, and many other chronic diseases fare better and live longer than those of normal weight."

Diets do not work The thin evidence that losing weight makes you healthier.

My thinking would be people trying to stay below some weight are correspondingly more stressed out about it and other things resulting in poorer health. Whereas people who become 'nicely filled in' are less-stressed and consequently healthier across the board.

It's not just the CDC:

"UCLA sociologist Abigail Saguy, author of What’s Wrong With Fat?, says people are often invested in their own thin privilege. “They want to think they’ve earned it by working hard and counting calories, and they cling to it,” she says.
"There’s a lot of money at stake in treating obesity. The American Medical Associationagainst the recommendations of its own Committee on Science and Public Health—recently classified obesity as a disease, and doctors hope insurers will start covering more treatments for obesity. If Medicare goes along with the AMA and designates obesity as a disease, doctors who discuss weight with their patients will be able to add that diagnosis code to their bill, and charge more for the visit."

It says right in the OP's fucking article that disease is usually "attributable to what we eat."

Heres the kicker

If your not eating the shit foods that cause disease, youre losing weight, or gaining muscle.

Bmi's are thrown by persons with muscle mass.

A muscular person in the "short" category, for instance, would typically have a bmi reading "obese" and can have not a shred of body fat on him or her.

Exercise DOES matter.

It certainly does.

Sowwy.

Do you need more, or no?

It's actually even more so as you get older. I've exercised fairly consistently through my life, and have found that it's primarily diet that affects my weight. But one's metabolism slows down when they get older, so it becomes more difficult to burn calories, which is why watching what you eat gets more important.

I was a garbage can when I was younger. I could eat almost anything and not put on any, or at least much, weight, and all my biometrics were good. But as I got older, that started to change as I got heavier and my blood pressure got worse. The best thing is to not put it on in the first place.

I've lost 15 pounds in two months primarily by slashing my carbs and exercising more. I've also seen my blood pressure drop by 15/5 points.

Some of the guys at my office have seen even more dramatic improvements. One recently went to his doctor for his annual and he was shocked to see the results. His systolic blood pressure went from 150 to 107.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
It certainly does.

Sowwy.

Do you need more, or no?

Diet is extremely important for your health. To deny that is the height of retardation.

You can sit there and try and wish away the negative effects of a poor diet.....but sawwy, the data is in. All you need to do is try your fat fingers out on some google.

Who denied the importance of diet?

You're arguing a different topic. Focus.

Sowwy.

Do you need more, or no?

Your idiocy is fine with me....

I know its about weight.

Problem is, fat people arent dieting right and exercising numb nuts.

And the thing cites bmi, which is a flawed measurement because it doesnt account for density.

You can derp derp all day on this topic, youre still a deluxe level moron for posting this.

Sowwy.

Do you need more, or no?

Your idiocy is fine with me....

I know its about weight.

Problem is, fat people arent dieting right and exercising numb nuts.

And the thing cites bmi, which is a flawed measurement because it doesnt account for density.

You can derp derp all day on this topic, youre still a deluxe level moron for posting this.

Yeah, cuz knowledge and science is bad.

It's not just the CDC:

"UCLA sociologist Abigail Saguy, author of What’s Wrong With Fat?, says people are often invested in their own thin privilege. “They want to think they’ve earned it by working hard and counting calories, and they cling to it,” she says.
"There’s a lot of money at stake in treating obesity. The American Medical Associationagainst the recommendations of its own Committee on Science and Public Health—recently classified obesity as a disease, and doctors hope insurers will start covering more treatments for obesity. If Medicare goes along with the AMA and designates obesity as a disease, doctors who discuss weight with their patients will be able to add that diagnosis code to their bill, and charge more for the visit."

So, you trust the opinions of liberal colleges too? Wow. You're gonna lose your Teabagger credentials if you keep this up.

You can be skinny and have an absurdly fast metabolism. Eat like shit and youll still get the negative side effects.

Or, you can be a fat guy and eat like shit. Now there, youre at a higher disadvantage than said freak natured metabolic skinny guy, because holding excess fat puts extra stress on your heart.

And yes, science says so.

It's not just the CDC:

So, you trust the opinions of liberal colleges too? Wow. You're gonna lose your Teabagger credentials if you keep this up.

Wow I knew you guys were stupid, but today you're exceeding even my expectations of stupidity...

You can be skinny and have an absurdly fast metabolism. Eat like shit and youll still get the negative side effects.

That's me. But the metabolism has slowed, so I can't eat like shit any more.
One of those guys huh

You fucker. Lol.

I.always had to work harder the worse i wanted to binge eat

Forum List

Back