Maid

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
This is a Netflix limited series based on the true story of author Stephanie Land. Single mother Alex turns to housecleaning to make ends meet as she escapes an abusive relationship and overcomes homelessness to create a better life for her daughter, Maddy. This type of story has been told many times, but rarely so effectively. Of course, this is not for everyone. At times the story is heartbreaking, poignant, funny, but definitely inspiring. Margaret Qualley as Alex and Andie MacDowell as Paula, the mother are excellent.

Last edited:
Looks good.
And goes to show you my struggles in getting rid of Netflix.
They do something that makes me angry and wanting to unsubscribe, but FOMO keeps me subscribed like this. They have some really good limited series.
Loved Queens Gambit.

Looks good.
And goes to show you my struggles in getting rid of Netflix.
They do something that makes me angry and wanting to unsubscribe, but FOMO keeps me subscribed like this. They have some really good limited series.
Loved Queens Gambit.
Agreed, With 3,600+ movies and more than 1,800 TV shows available to subscribers, Netflix is one of the world's most popular streaming services and there is good reason. First their website is better than most streaming services with previews readily available, a list for noting future watching, multiple profiles for family members, and unlike man streaming services, everything is free except your monthly membership.

While some streaming services rely mostly on TV reruns to satisfy the demand for series, Netflix has many original series, some junk but most better than TV offerings such as Queens Gambit, Maid, The Crown, Ozarks, Witcher, etc.... Plus some pretty respectable movies such as Power of Dog.

Usually not my kind of show, but got hooked into it while the wife watched it.
Ozark I got immediately hooked on.
Just watched The Adam Project, and found that to be an entertaining movie.

Usually not my kind of show, but got hooked into it while the wife watched it.
Ozark I got immediately hooked on.
Just watched The Adam Project, and found that to be an entertaining movie.
Ozarks -yes
Maid - yes
Adam Project - OK but I've seen other with this same theme, time traveler goes back in time to meet himself when he was young which of course creates the distinct opportunity for a paradox.

Ozarks -yes
Maid - yes
Adam Project - OK but I've seen other with this same theme, time traveler goes back in time to meet himself when he was young which of course creates the distinct opportunity for a paradox.
Just watched Against the Ice, about a Greenland expedition early 1900's.
Was a good movie.

Watched the 2nd episode, I was troubled about the story. It didn't seem right to me that this is what would happen.
And I was right.
The mother did not lose her child for 2 weeks,
She DID call the police on her boyfriend and successfully employed a total restraining order against him including the child. So Netflix changed that.
She, herself, amended the restraint to include allowing the father to see his daughter.
Why would Netflix change that? I think we know.

And she never stayed in an abuse center
Netflix has caught flak for changing the story so much, there answer was "we wanted to make the show more accurately portray the "feeling" of the book, the book was about a lonely person, so we wanted to isolate her to give the audience the feeling of loneliness"

Yeah... bullshit. They changed everything to make her a victim of not only the boyfriend, but the justice system and the whole world against her.
And he never punched a hole in the wall beside her face.
In the book she only stated he was emotionally abusive, never physical.
He hit their front door and a window pane fell out. Stupid... but not like punching a wall next to her face.

Netflix has caught flak for changing the story so much, there answer was "we wanted to make the show more accurately portray the "feeling" of the book, the book was about a lonely person, so we wanted to isolate her to give the audience the feeling of loneliness"

Yeah... bullshit. They changed everything to make her a victim of not only the boyfriend, but the justice system and the whole world against her.
He hit their front door and a window pane fell out. Stupid... but not like punching a wall next to her face.
This series was inspired by the book Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive. It is not a true story although it does follow the book fairly well. The characters are fictitious. Netflix doesn't say the series is based on a true story in the heading, trailer or credits. It has said that the series is inspired by the book.

When a movie or series says inspired by a book, it means the story idea comes from the book. How much it relies on true events is up to scriptwriter and the director. Remember their goal is to attract views and score high marks with critics, not to produce an accurate recount of events.

This series was coproduced by Warner Brothers and Netflix. It was made by Warner Bros. Apparently Netflix bought the distribution rights.

Like most of what you see on Netflix, the rights to stream the material are purchased by Netflix. A Netflix Original means either Netflix has produced or coproduced the show or they purchase exclusive international rights to stream it.

Netflix is a distributor, like Columbia or Sony except instead of licensing theater chains to show the programs, Netflix streams them. They don't make movies but they do invest in them.

Netflix has a complex formula they use to select tv shows and movies. They look at what their viewers are watching but they go a lot deeper from there. The typical viewer is a woman who lives in the suburbs, has some or no college education. The average user is also more likely to identify as liberal or a moderate, not republican. You can probably guess that from Netflix programing. However keep in mind when it comes to entertainment, even hardcore politicos have been known to cross party lines for a good program or movie. Although I consider myself a liberal, I watch Blood Bloods on TV and enjoy a lot of John Wayne's movies and even watch Fox News occasionally.

Last edited:

Netflix did not change the story. The series was made by Warner Bros. Molly Smith Metzler, a screenwriter and playwright created the story and script and sold it to Warner.

The movie has a very common theme; the protagonist who is facing a desperate situation achieves success despite almost insurmountable odd. Audiences love this theme. The more emotion in it the better. Ever since Charles Perrault created Cinderella, playwriters and screenwriters have been creating offshoots of this basic theme because audience love to see the undog win.

This production certainly has been a success. It has won and been nominated for a many awards. Reception by critics has been good. Rotten Tomatoes commented, "Maid takes great care with its sensitive subject matter to craft a drama that is not always easy to watch, but undeniably powerful, grounded by an outstanding performance by Margaret Qualley." They rated it 94%.

Last edited:
Netflix did not change the story. The series was made by Warner Bros. Molly Smith Metzler, a screenwriter and playwright created the story and script and sold it to Warner.

The movie has a very common theme; the protagonist who is facing a desperate situation achieves success despite almost insurmountable odd. Audiences love this theme. The more emotion in it the better. Ever since Charles Perrault created Cinderella, playwriters and screenwriters have been creating offshoots of this basic theme because audience love to see the undog win.

This production certainly has been a success. It has won and been nominated for a many awards. Reception by critics has been good. Rotten Tomatoes commented, "Maid takes great care with its sensitive subject matter to craft a drama that is not always easy to watch, but undeniably powerful, grounded by an outstanding performance by Margaret Qualley." They rated it 94%.
And unrealistic.
Again, as I was watching the 2nd episode, I kept having trouble with what was happening.
Knowing this is not what would happen in this situation, or that situation.
It wasn't believable.
And now I know why - they made it up.
They may have been "inspired" by the book - sure - the inspiration was to change everything to make the situation harder for the character than it actually was.
You my say - well yeah, that wouldn't be the first time to make the story more interesting.
I say bullshit - they did it to basically say "look how the whole world is against abused women".
The book wasn't about the abuse, wasn't about losing her child to the abuser (she never did) it was about her struggles as a single mother working a thankless job with no one in her life but her child.
Netflix wanted to change that to make it about something else.

Example - the social worker.
Netflix story - she is turned down, no one will help her - Fuck off with your little baby.
Real life - in an interview she said she not only received money from the government when she left, but other private agencies.
Now why would Netflix change that.
Basically everything we saw in the first two episodes is totally opposite of what happened... completely opposite. And - oh - just by chance all of the things they changed made it look like a young woman with child is a horrible experience. Gee... I wonder what is/was going on in politics lately that might make them want to do that? Hmmm
Also - she wasn't a young woman. She had the baby at 29 years old.

And unrealistic.
Again, as I was watching the 2nd episode, I kept having trouble with what was happening.
It wasn't believable.
They may have been "inspired" by the book - sure - the inspiration was to change everything to make the situation harder for the character than it actually was.
You my say - well yeah, that wouldn't be the first time to make the story more interesting.
I say bullshit - they did it to basically say "look how the whole world is against abused women".
The book wasn't about the abuse, wasn't about losing her child to the abuser (she never did) it was about her struggles as a single mother working a thankless job with no one in her life but her child.
And unrealistic.
It wasn't believable.
Of course the creator made it up. It's is a work of fiction inspired by the book. And yes the story is written to dramatize the escape of an abused women from her marriage and how she surmounted obstacles to realize her dream. It's not exactly a new idea but this one was done very well.

I suspect that movies about abused women escaping their marriage are not your favorites.

Of course the creator made it up. It's is a work of fiction inspired by the book. And yes the story is written to dramatize the escape of an abused women from her marriage and how she surmounted obstacles to realize her dream. It's not exactly a new idea but this one was done very well.

I suspect that movies about abused women escaping their marriage are not your favorites.
Doesn't bother me at all if it is marginally realistic.
What is not my favorite is movies that insult your intelligence
And this one does it every 2 minutes.

Courtroom scene where judge treats her like gutter trash - didn't happen. She won in court.

Social services being snarky and not giving a crap about her plight - didn't happen. She received help immediately. In an interview she said she received both private and government assistance.

She is a young girl, who chose to keep the baby and is paying a very high price for making that choice. (Netflix ultimate message they are sending) causing her to lose everything and become homeless. - Didn't happen. The real woman was 29 when she had the baby.

I can go on and on.

I don't appreciate your inference. It is a ridiculous assumption. You are better than that.
I don't like political messaging in movies, especially when the dramatically change reality to make it - whatever kind of movie it is

It got me because I am "pro-life within reason"
The majority of pro-lifers.
Exceptions for the usual, rape-incest, unusual health risks etc.
Netflix made this movie in the middle of the RvW arguments due to conservative judge appts.
The overtly exaggerated and completely unrealistic circumstances they present showing a VERY clear message - "you are young and find yourself pregnant - look at how much pain you will go thru if you choose to have the child - no on will care about you, the courts are against you - you will be all alone.
That is an outright lie.

It got me because I am "pro-life within reason"
The majority of pro-lifers.
Exceptions for the usual, rape-incest, unusual health risks etc.
Netflix made this movie in the middle of the RvW arguments due to conservative judge appts.
The overtly exaggerated and completely unrealistic circumstances they present showing a VERY clear message - "you are young and find yourself pregnant - look at how much pain you will go thru if you choose to have the child - no on will care about you, the courts are against you - you will be all alone.
That is an outright lie.
The simple fact is people are attracted to movies where the protagonist has suffered due to an abusive spouse, a racist employer, uncaring government employees, an insurance company denying life saving treatments’ a corrupt cop railroading an innocent person, an unfair judge etc… Audiences naturally will feel sympathy for the protagonist but the director needs more than sympathy. He needs feelings of angry, hatred. and rage. In order to get that level of emotional evolvement from the audience, he needs to dramize well beyond realism.

How realist was Norma Ray standing above hundreds factory workers pleading for their support and understanding with the bosses and police doing nothing It wasn’t realist but it won an academy award and made tons of money. And this is what Hollywood is all about. Money.

The industry is not loyal to liberalism — or any ideology, nor is it loyal to truth and realism for that matter. It is loyal to creating popular stories that make money. These stories tend to be “liberal,” in the shallowest sense of the word, because sex, drugs, partying, unfair treatment of the innocent, discrimination, and social injustice sells.

Forum List

Back