Majority in US wants gov't to regulate prescription costs

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Who says money paid to Congress doesn't work?

Poll: Majority in US wants gov't to curb prescription costs | KSL.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — Regardless of political affiliation, Americans strongly support government action to control prescription drug costs, according to a poll released Thursday.
While the 2016 presidential candidates continue to debate President Barack Obama's 5-year-old law expanding coverage for the uninsured, the latest Kaiser Family Foundation survey suggests the public is shifting to other health care issues.

<more>

from hufferpufferingpaint? We can move right into living like Venezuela . they are out of toilet paper on their store shelves. Lets get it on give total control that gumberment

WASHINGTON (AP) — Regardless of political affiliation, Americans strongly support government action to control prescription drug costs, according to a poll released Thursday.
While the 2016 presidential candidates continue to debate President Barack Obama's 5-year-old law expanding coverage for the uninsured, the latest Kaiser Family Foundation survey suggests the public is shifting to other health care issues.

<more>
Ya, get the federal government more involved. That always helps!!
What A bunch of dumbass morons, the federal government is an banana republic no Doubt

<more>
News Headline: People Want Free Shit.

Seriously. How dumb can people be?

I pay more for food than prescription drugs...the government should regulate the prices of those too...all of them, I mean, you need food to live too, right? We'll just regulate our way to cheap food.

It worked everywhere else didn't it?

0000ywag.jpg

we should be allowed to negotiate a bulk discount for Medicare prescripts, as ALL OTHER NATIONS DO, with Pharma....

THAT IS THE FREE MARKET.....

instead we have republicans writing law that RESTRICTS the free market and does not allow us to negotiate a bulk discount with them....

that's simply wrong, wrong, and wrong.

so the majority wants this then I guess they should want to vote for Trump. This is one opinion of the argument against this.

snip:

Trump: I’ll save $300 billion a year making Medicare negotiate on drug prices
posted at 12:01 pm on January 26, 2016 by Ed Morrissey
  • 27 SHARES

If people want some insight into the Donald Trump phenomenon, this issue might make for a good starting point. Trump’s positions on health care have not exactly hewn to Republican or conservative orthodoxy, to be sure, but the polling frontrunner has refused to back down from them. Last night in New Hampshire, Trump stuck to his government-as-arbiter guns, demanding that Medicare leverage its market presence to force pharmaceutical companies to negotiate on price — an option expressly prohibited in the 2003 Plan D program passed by Republicans.

Note how the Associated Press frames this, too:
Trump told an enthusiastic crowd of about 1,000 people packed into a high school gymnasium Monday night in Farmington, N.H., that Medicare could “save $300 billion” a year by getting discounts as the biggest buyer of prescription drugs.

Said Trump: “We don’t do it. Why? Because of the drug companies.”

Companies generally can set the prices for approved drugs because the US government doesn’t regulate medicine prices, as other countries do. The powerful pharmaceutical lobby has repeatedly fended off such proposals that would cut into profits.

Conservative and Republican doctrine on this is that Medicare’s pressure will produce irrational results in a market where consumers already have aggregate power to push prices downward. Ten years ago, Heritage senior fellow Dr. Robert Moffit offered a good overview of this doctrine and an explanation of why consumers should worry about Medicare’s intervention:

When the program started, Medicare officials projected that the average monthly premium would be $37; in fact, it declined to less than $24. Private health plans are securing serious discounts, benefits are generous (especially for poor seniors), and eight out of 10 seniors say they’re satisfied. Private-sector negotiators are doing a good job, and the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office doesn’t think the Medicare bureaucracy would do better.

all of it here:

we should be allowed to negotiate a bulk discount for Medicare prescripts, as ALL OTHER NATIONS DO, with Pharma....

instead we have republicans writing law that RESTRICTS the free market and does not allow us to negotiate a bulk discount with them....

Then why didn't Obama and the Democrat Super Majority address this during the passage of Obamacare?

so the majority wants this then I guess they should want to vote for Trump. This is one opinion of the argument against this.

snip:

• 27 SHARES

If people want some insight into the Donald Trump phenomenon, this issue might make for a good starting point. Trump’s positions on health care have not exactly hewn to Republican or conservative orthodoxy, to be sure, but the polling frontrunner has refused to back down from them. Last night in New Hampshire, Trump stuck to his government-as-arbiter guns, demanding that Medicare leverage its market presence to force pharmaceutical companies to negotiate on price — an option expressly prohibited in the 2003 Plan D program passed by Republicans.

Trump told an enthusiastic crowd of about 1,000 people packed into a high school gymnasium Monday night in Farmington, N.H., that Medicare could “save $300 billion” a year by getting discounts as the biggest buyer of prescription drugs.

Companies generally can set the prices for approved drugs because the US government doesn’t regulate medicine prices, as other countries do. The powerful pharmaceutical lobby has repeatedly fended off such proposals that would cut into profits.

Conservative and Republican doctrine on this is that Medicare’s pressure will produce irrational results in a market where consumers already have aggregate power to push prices downward. Ten years ago, Heritage senior fellow Dr. Robert Moffit offered a good overview of this doctrine and an explanation of why consumers should worry about Medicare’s intervention:

When the program started, Medicare officials projected that the average monthly premium would be $37; in fact, it declined to less than $24. Private health plans are securing serious discounts, benefits are generous (especially for poor seniors), and eight out of 10 seniors say they’re satisfied. Private-sector negotiators are doing a good job, and the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office doesn’t think the Medicare bureaucracy would do better.

all of it here:
hmmmm, maybe he is a Democrat in disguise?

Democrats have wanted to negotiate with pharma for over a decade now!!!

Then why didn't Obama and the Democrat Super Majority address this during the passage of Obamacare?

You can't ask that. :eusa_shhh:

obamacare is not MEDICARE....

I'm sorry...did Obamacare not expand Medicaid?

I'm pretty sure it did. So why didn't they fix this? They had a super majority.

(Stephanie beat me to the punch here...Trump is promising to do this very thing)

snip:

• 27 SHARES

all of it here:
hmmmm, maybe he is a Democrat in disguise?

Democrats have wanted to negotiate with pharma for over a decade now!!!
again, why didn't they pass this when they had the super majority they knew they were sticking us with ObamaCare?

(Stephanie beat me to the punch here...Trump is promising to do this very thing)
medicare is not medicaid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/washington/18cnd-medicare.html?_r=0

Bill to Let Medicare Negotiate Drug Prices Is Blocked
By ROBERT PEARAPRIL 18, 2007

Continue reading the main story Share This Page
WASHINGTON, April 18 — A pillar of the Democratic political program tumbled today when Republicans in the Senate blocked a proposal to allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices for millions of older Americans, a practice now forbidden by law.

medicare is not medicaid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/washington/18cnd-medicare.html?_r=0

Bill to Let Medicare Negotiate Drug Prices Is Blocked
By ROBERT PEARAPRIL 18, 2007

Continue reading the main story Share This Page
WASHINGTON, April 18 — A pillar of the Democratic political program tumbled today when Republicans in the Senate blocked a proposal to allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices for millions of older Americans, a practice now forbidden by law.

that's not exactly an unbiased article from the nyslimes. and the Democrats had a super majority for two years. Republican couldn't do anything

You do know that Medicaid and Medicare are two different things, right?

Forum List

Back