Malaysian airliner missing with 239 people on board

Was watching part of it on the news during lunchbreak today.

The media slays me. They have no idea whats out there but are already jumping to the conclusion that its the missing plane. Good Gawd.

Now we find out it could be part of a missing yacht. Hell. It could be anything. The ocean is full of stuff that the currents push all over the place.

One would think the media would get the facts before the talking heads start broadcasting. Idiots.

Here's some info about the missing schooner from a news report after they'd been in a storm and all their sailed shredded. Today's report referred to it as a "ghost schooner".

Sail-World.com : Six months later, missing schooner Nina's families just won't give up
Sail-World.com : Six months later, missing schooner Nina's families just won't give up

Was watching part of it on the news during lunchbreak today.

The media slays me. They have no idea whats out there but are already jumping to the conclusion that its the missing plane. Good Gawd.

Now we find out it could be part of a missing yacht. Hell. It could be anything. The ocean is full of stuff that the currents push all over the place.

One would think the media would get the facts before the talking heads start broadcasting. Idiots.

every time I promise myself not to get 'hooked' again and I do it anyway.

~~~~~
The Norwegian merchant ship is using lights to look for the debris.

The FBI is analyzing the data from the hard drives of the computers and the simulator.

No stone will be left unturned. I support that. I just don't think the answers will be forthcoming and it doesn't sound like that there is much that can be done to prevent something like this in the future. I read somewhere that had an $11 part been added to the black box this might have alerted air controllers or something like that. Spend the $ --if there is anything that can help. What must it be like to be an executive of Boeing or other entity involved in designing and manufacturing aircraft. By all accounts the 777 is/was a well designed plane. Not certain how anyone can predict such an insane act--

http://www.ibtimes.com/malaysia-air...ter-upgrade-could-have-provided-key-satellite

How Malaysia Airlines hopes to stay in business --that is something I would like to know. It certainly seems like this could have happened in the US--no shortage of deranged people with means and motive to come up with something like this--but knock on wood it would be more difficult. There must be a sicko out there working as we speak to come up with something worse.

Last edited:
Shouldn't they have waited until they had the 'objects' in hand before informing the press? I'm sure there's lots of junk floating around in the ocean, but it seems irresponsible to inform the global press just because you see something bobbing in the water.

No, because reporters want to be the first to report anything....and that's what they do.

Shouldn't they have waited until they had the 'objects' in hand before informing the press? I'm sure there's lots of junk floating around in the ocean, but it seems irresponsible to inform the global press just because you see something bobbing in the water.

You might think that but consider what they have to lose if they don't follow every lead. It costs a lot of money to do rescue so why do it alone if you have a lead? Are Australians responsible for the search if it isn't their plane so if we're not all in it together, why search? Why search if you don't have a lead?

It has been reported the Qantas plane used to spot her costs A$10,000 an hour to operate.[47] The total cost of the international rescue is estimated by media to be up to GB£116,000 (A$200,000)[51] or A$300,000[52] depending on source.

Abby Sunderland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next, it will turn out in my backyard...some say they saw it there :eek:

Must get great gas mileage ....it has been up there for a long time...

Looks like this guy is ready for the plane coming just dropping out of the sky...

UBnJ4-600x480.jpg

I wonder if the plane got a higher altitude whether it would give the plane a longer longitude.

Because the air is gets thinner as you go up the higher the plane the less drag and greater the possible speed. If it was higher it could have gone farther.

Again you people are up to 70 pages of nonsense and conjecture. You would be going apeshit if they did that.

The U.S. government has satellites that can read the date of a dime laying on the street, but can't find a 777 airliner. Hmmmmm!

You need to quit watching so much CSI....and Fox news.

I totally agree, the families have been put through too much if this turns out to be another false alarm.

Earlier today it was noted that the large items floating could easily be simply cargo containers that fell of of cargo ships.

I think it would of been best that the media take a deep breath and wait until something actually is confirmed

Earlier today it was noted that the large items floating could easily be simply cargo containers that fell of of cargo ships.

I think it would of been best that the media take a deep breath and wait until something actually is confirmed

For whatever reasons--perhaps security???/cannot release all details of how the fyi was obtained--they seem reasonably sure this is debris from the plane.

Someone on CNN said that '?' days ago the US had enough to discount the North Arc theory-- one reason--China's radar would have picked up anything that came near its air space. So the South Arc was the logical conclusion. Whatever they are doing--the most knowledgeable people in every field seem to be involved.

They say bad weather is coming into that area on Saturday--giving them less than 48 hrs to search--hopefully get some more fyi. The way the currents in this area are described it sounds impossible.

One question I have--if it takes 4hrs for the planes to fly from Australia to the search area--why can't an aircraft carrier be sent to the area? Couldn't the planes land on that and not have to make the 4 hr trips. They can only search about 2 hrs. Hats off to all involved.

An oceanographer said this particular area of the ocean floor is one of the most difficult about which to gain any information.

The 'Zombie Plane' theory sounds realistic to me--some sort of gas knocked everyone out--probably due to some electrical/mechanical failure. Not much from Boeing---perhaps legal matters prohibit them from commenting.

Someone else on CNN said that some improvements on the data recorders should be forthcoming. They need to record 24 hrs rather than 2 --and to have stronger batteries which might send pings for 60 or 90 days. All of this will probably be repeated all evening.

Apparently not much success with the search for debris.

They are now investigating a phone call made by the pilot prior to takeoff.

Until conclusive results are available I prefer to believe some mechanical or electrical malfunction was the cause.

This struck me as odd at first--Malaysia is embarrassed at the possibility of terrorism--predominantly Islamic country. 'embarrassed' not the right word. Terrified of repercussions--might be closer to the truth. That adds another layer of complexity.

For whatever reasons--perhaps security???/cannot release all details of how the fyi was obtained--they seem reasonably sure this is debris from the plane.

Someone on CNN said that '?' days ago the US had enough to discount the North Arc theory-- one reason--China's radar would have picked up anything that came near its air space. So the South Arc was the logical conclusion. Whatever they are doing--the most knowledgeable people in every field seem to be involved.

They say bad weather is coming into that area on Saturday--giving them less than 48 hrs to search--hopefully get some more fyi. The way the currents in this area are described it sounds impossible.

One question I have--if it takes 4hrs for the planes to fly from Australia to the search area--why can't an aircraft carrier be sent to the area? Couldn't the planes land on that and not have to make the 4 hr trips. They can only search about 2 hrs. Hats off to all involved.

An oceanographer said this particular area of the ocean floor is one of the most difficult about which to gain any information.

The 'Zombie Plane' theory sounds realistic to me--some sort of gas knocked everyone out--probably due to some electrical/mechanical failure. Not much from Boeing---perhaps legal matters prohibit them from commenting.

Someone else on CNN said that some improvements on the data recorders should be forthcoming. They need to record 24 hrs rather than 2 --and to have stronger batteries which might send pings for 60 or 90 days. All of this will probably be repeated all evening.
I'd like to see the carrier that could launch and land a 'PA' LOLOLOL!!!!! The search planes which are equiped to hunt subs are HUGE! compared to the largest aircraft which are routinely launched and landed from a carrier. BTW, a C130 once landed on a carrier. It only landed though.
Re. the post about high attitude flying. Yes the hifgher a plane flies the less drag BUT less drag means less atmoshere means less air to past over the wings means means less lift means the plane must fly faster to compensat. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

I'd like to see the carrier that could launch and land a 'PA' LOLOLOL!!!!! The search planes which are equiped to hunt subs are HUGE! compared to the largest aircraft which are routinely launched and landed from a carrier. BTW, a C130 once landed on a carrier. It only landed though.
Re. the post about high attitude flying. Yes the hifgher a plane flies the less drag BUT less drag means less atmoshere means less air to past over the wings means means less lift means the plane must fly faster to compensat. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

a C130 once landed on a carrier. It only landed though.

a c-130 can both land and takeoff from a carrier

C-130 Carrier Landing without Hook | Military.com

Last edited by a moderator:

so--the planes being used in the search are too big to land/takeoff from carriers?

Every passenger seat is designed to be a floatation device. Each seat is stamped with the serial number of the plane it's put in and an ID # showing what part of the plane the seat was installed. There is no way some of those seats didn't end up floating after a crash into the ocean. They are designed to easily come loose from the seat frame at about fifty feet under water b/c they are only held in place with Velgro.
Some day and tourist on a beach somewhere will find one or more washed up. And the mystery of where the plane went down approximately will be solved.

so--the planes being used in the search are too big to land/takeoff from carriers?

That C130 was landed and took off basically empty of fuel and anything aboard other than the equipment needed to fly the plane. The carrier was close enough to an airbase so that the plane could safely divert to a shore runway if the pilots chose to. The plane took off into a forty knot wind. No catapult was used b/c the C130's front wheel assembly would have been torn off during the launch do to the plane's weight....even empty.
It was an experiment and althouh it succeded the Navy/Airforce did not go forward with any plans to postion C130s on carriers.
'Sub-hunter' planes used aboard carriers are not capable of long duration flights.
Considering the size of the area that needs searching having a carrier sending out small sub hunters is not as efficient as having a PA search a very large area even though the search time a PA has, in this case, is only a couple of hours.

I believe we are using P-3s for the most part, and yes....too big for carriers.

i dont know which they are

but i would say yes

the c-130 is a totally different cat

it is meant to land heavy on short runways and take off light on short distances

Forum List

Back