Man Smokes, Dies Of Cancer, Wife Sues Tobacco Company, Gets Rich

$25 BILLION she won, because the tobacco company are somehow responsible for her idiot husband smoking himself to death. Apparently, the company didn't tell smokers that smoking can kill you.

And now the floodgates have opened, people...

A CIGARETTE giant in the US has vowed to fight a jury verdict ordering the company to pay $25.5 billion in punitive damages to Cynthia Robinson, the widow of a longtime smoker who died of lung cancer.

Yesterday, a Florida jury ordered tobacco company RJ Reynolds to pay the sum, in addition to more than $17 million in compensation to the estate of Michael Johnson Sr, after 15 hours of deliberations. It’s the largest verdict for a plaintiff in state history and sends a strong message to Big Tobacco that could open the floodgates for further claims.

During the four-week trial lawyers for Cynthia Robinson argued RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company was negligent in informing consumers of the dangers of consuming tobacco and thus led to her late husband Johnson contracting lung cancer from smoking cigarettes. They said Johnson had become “addicted” to cigarettes and failed multiple attempts to quit smoking.

RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company ordered to pay Cynthia Robinson $25 billion in damages after husband dies of lung cancer | News.com.au

How about some personal responsibility, folks? Its been known for years that smoking is dangerous, yet people continue to do it!

Smoking doesn't cause cancer. For that to be true, every smoker would develop cancer yet less than 40% do according to CDC. It's contributes almost certainly, but then so does just about everything else. From marichino cherries, to the brown food coloring in colas, to all the eletromagnetic energy in a modern society. What factor pushed a person over and they developed cancer is impossible to know though.

But every smoker knows it's bad for you. Except pipe smoking, studies show pipe smokers live longer than non-smokers. :) We're more relaxed and less stressed out than people who think if they don't smoke they're gonna live forever only to realize eventually that's not true and getting bummed out about it. :)

CaféAuLait;9486637 said:
Hell, even high times states there is potential , although low for addiction to marijuana. I guess they are lying too.

I know people can get addicted to pot. I know a person who hurt me immensely because of his addiction to marijuana. He ruined so much and lost so much because he needed to "wake and bake" daily and continued smoking till midnight, near daily, then rinse, lather repeat. His father had him in one rehab after another- all expensive ones because they had money. He never got better, he stole from relatives homes, me and he stole from work ( losing 2 jobs that I know of for theft) to feed his addiction and he did no other drugs. Jesus, he took my car and traded it for pot! No joke! I was able to recover it. It was a hell of a time in my life. He was addicted, period and a freaking asshole.

That's a compulsion, not an addiction. Regardless what crutch he might have wanted to lean on to dispatch his own responsibility, the physicological fact is his body DID NOT require him to continue his stoner subsistence; that was HIS choice, each and every time. That he may try to ditch his own responsibility with a lame excuse of "woe is me, I'm addicted" is just more avoidance bullshit. One more manifestation of somebody refusing to take responsibility for one's own behaviour. Which is the same irresponsibility that got him into that compulsive condition in the first place, so that's entirely consistent within his asshole personality. Entirely.

Don't enable these losers by validating their bullshit; it's his doing. He made his choices, every time. This bullshit of "oh, I'm addicted" or "I don't remember a thing, I was drunk" is just not an excuse. Ever.

(/offtopic)

CaféAuLait;9486592 said:
No, it's not. There are no physical effects whatsoever.

Well, of course. Every study which has ever come out and stated there is a potential for addiction or people have become addicted is wrong. GMAB. Again, reread my post. addiction does not have to be physical, it can be compulsive behavior. And there are those who have as I said above experienced withdraw symptoms.

I know people who can pick up cigarettes and smoke only when out socially or every once in awhile. I never understood it, but they can and do. No, addiction. I also know some who used to do the same with cocaine, use it every once in awhile. Just because a drug has a potential for addiction does not mean everyone will become addicted. And just because Marijuana only has a potential for low addiction does not mean people don't become addicted.

Yes, it does mean physical. If compulsion meant the same thing we wouldn't need two terms to mean the same thing. That's slovenly language. It's trying to stretch a term far beyond its own boundaries. Don't start changing definitions in midstream; addiction means addiction, not compulsion; compulsion means compulsion, not addiction. Period. Cut the BS.

You're wrong. Addiction is compulsion and physical addiction, both of which are possible for those who smoke weed.

Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health. Users may not be aware that their behavior is out of control and causing problems for themselves and others

Addiction | Psychology Today

High Times also agrees there is a possibility for people to become physically addicted to pot, however small, it is still a possibility. I have no clue why this seems to be an issue for you. But whatever.

From High Times rebutting an article about potent pot being addicting, admits that pot is addictive:

It is important to consider the facts. Recent statistics from the National Institute on Drug Abuse find that marijuana addiction is a rarity. In fact, less than nine percent of those who use cannabis are at risk for addiction. Compare that to the 15 percent who enjoy a drink were destined to become alcoholics and the 32 percent using tobacco who become hooked for life.

More Potent Pot Leading to Addiction? | High Times

Those whining about the verdict are being ridiculous and naïve.

Big Tobacco had its day in court, it was well represented by the best lawyers money could buy, and the jury came to its conclusion in good faith and in accordance with the law.

:banghead:

>> Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one&#8217;s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death. << -- Definition from the American Society of Addiction Medicine
(emphasis added)

"Biological/physiological" above means physical. If you get hooked on heroin, or alcohol, you experience physical effects when the supply is interrupted. Not just psychological-- physical. Throwing a hissyfit because you lost your pot just ain't the same thing.

It is impossible to die or become disabled (see end of definition) either from ingesting cannabis or from lack thereof. Nor will there be any physical effects even if you smoked every day for a thousand years and then one day it was gone.

What you're trying to do is bend a word into a its metaphorical meaning and claim it's literal. "I'm addicted to this game" is a figure of speech; it's not an addiction. That matters if you're talking about a literal addiction.

Once again, those with weak character who slide into self-destructive habits -- not addictions but habits -- seek an "out" by calling their own failing an "addiction". Because if I have a self-destructive habit, that's on me, but if I have an "addiction" --- presto changeo, I'm no longer responsible.

I don't buy that. Never did. Matter of fact when I quit smoking (tobacco) 32 years ago one of the best tools I had was to rethink the activity as a habit rather than an addiction. An addiction is a master with control over you; a habit is something you own, and can change. Buying into the 'pot addiction' mythology is just enabling those with a problem to go on with it and shirk all responsibility. Because there's no such thing.

:banghead:

>> Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death. << -- Definition from the American Society of Addiction Medicine
(emphasis added)

"Biological/physiological" above means physical. If you get hooked on heroin, or alcohol, you experience physical effects when the supply is interrupted. Not just psychological-- physical. Throwing a hissyfit because you lost your pot just ain't the same thing.

It is impossible to die or become disabled (see end of definition) either from ingesting cannabis or from lack thereof. Nor will there be any physical effects even if you smoked every day for a thousand years and then one day it was gone.

What you're trying to do is bend a word into a its metaphorical meaning and claim it's literal. "I'm addicted to this game" is a figure of speech; it's not an addiction. That matters if you're talking about a literal addiction.

Once again, those with weak character who slide into self-destructive habits -- not addictions but habits -- seek an "out" by calling their own failing an "addiction". Because if I have a self-destructive habit, that's on me, but if I have an "addiction" --- presto changeo, I'm no longer responsible.

I don't buy that. Never did. Matter of fact when I quit smoking (tobacco) 32 years ago one of the best tools I had was to rethink the activity as a habit rather than an addiction. An addiction is a master with control over you; a habit is something you own, and can change. Buying into the 'pot addiction' mythology is just enabling those with a problem to go on with it and shirk all responsibility. Because there's no such thing.

I'm not quite sure what was wrong with my link from Psychology Today defining addiction, but, hey, Ill play along.

From YOUR LINK which you relied on to define addiction:

Addiction is characterized by:
a.Inability to consistently Abstain;
b.Impairment in Behavioral control;
c.Craving; or increased “hunger” for drugs or rewarding experiences;
d.Diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships; and
e.A dysfunctional Emotional response.

And:

In addiction there is a significant impairment in executive functioning, which manifests in problems with perception, learning, impulse control, compulsivity, and judgment. People with addiction often manifest a lower readiness to change their dysfunctional behaviors despite mounting concerns expressed by significant others in their lives; and display an apparent lack of appreciation of the magnitude of cumulative problems and complications

And

Features of addiction include aspects of a person’s behaviors, cognitions, emotions, and interactions with others, including a person’s ability to relate to members of their family, to members of their community, to their own psychological state, and to things that transcend their daily experience.

------ And? :dunno:

The point remains, without the physical, physiological, biological aspect, you don't have addiction. At the least you have the inconvenience of one's plans thwarted; at worst you have a temper tantrum.

The point remains, without the physical, physiological, biological aspect, you don't have addiction. At the least you have the inconvenience of one's plans thwarted; at worst you have a temper tantrum.

Your link does not state that and neither does mine from Psychology Today. You seem to be making up your own definition of what addition is, to try and make a point which is wrong.

Pot can be a "physical, physiological, biological" addiction as well as gambling and sex addiction. Addiction can include one of those aspects or all of them.

See your own link as well as mine.

Cigarettes can be just a habit or compulsive behavior, or it can be a physiological or psychological addiction too.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9491512 said:

Your link does not state that and neither does mine from Psychology Today. You seem to be making up your own definition of what addition is, to try and make a point which is wrong.

Sigh... I shall repost again what I already did above:

>> Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. <<

See the word "biological"? See the word "physiological"? See the word "and"?

But wait -- there's more --- now how much would you pay...

>> The word addiction is used in several different ways. One definition describes physical addiction. This is a biological state in which the body adapts to the presence of a drug so that drug no longer has the same effect, otherwise known as a tolerance. Because of tolerance, the biological reaction of withdrawal occurs the drug is discontinued. Another form of physical addiction is the phenomenon of overreaction by the brain to drugs (or to cues associated with the drugs). An alcoholic walking into a bar, for instance, will feel an extra pull to have a drink because of these cues.

However, most addictive behavior is not related to either physical tolerance or exposure to cues. People compulsively use drugs, gamble, or shop nearly always in reaction to being emotionally stressed, whether or not they have a physical addiction. <<

-- and by the way that's from your own link, Psych Today. Note the distinction between "addiction" and "addictive behavior".

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9491512 said:

>> Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. <<

Sure, social and spiritual manifestations".

Your definition in full states ( which you keep omitting):

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

Ya cant just pick and choose words completely taking the definition out of context.

Sex addiction has "biological, psychological" aspects, gambling meets biological, psychological aspects, pot meets biological, psychological aspects, as well as cigarettes, etc.

Addiction can meet all of those traits or just some. It does not have to be all. Just as your article states and mine did.

This is as stupid if a headline read: "Man Sits on Gas Can Playing with Matches...Sues the Match Company."

CaféAuLait;9491719 said:
CaféAuLait;9491512 said:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one&#8217;s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

Ya cant just pick and choose words completely taking the definition out of context.

Sex addiction has "biological, psychological" aspects, gambling meets biological, psychological aspects, pot meets biological, psychological aspects, as well as cigarettes, etc.

Addiction can meet all of those traits or just some. It does not have to be all. Just as your article states and mine did.

Yes, it does; that's why I pointed out the word "and". "And" is not "or". "And" means ALL are included.

And no, the interruptions of habits of sex, gambling or cannabis -- none of those interruptions produce biological effects. That's why they're not addictions.

If you're going to stretch the word addiction to describe anything done regularly, then you strip the word of its entire meaning.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9491719 said:

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

Yes, it does; that's why I pointed out the word "and". "And" is not "or". "And" means ALL are included.

And no, the interruptions of habits of sex, gambling or cannabis -- none of those interruptions produce biological effects. That's why they're not addictions.

If you're going to stretch the word addiction to describe anything done regularly, then you strip the word of its entire meaning.

You are wrong again. There are sex addictions, and gambling addiction ( it is not just something "done regularly", come on Pogo, you are a pretty smart guy and I know you know that) and they certainly does present biological effects. In fact both are mentioned in when defining the word addiction. Why do you keep accusing me of stretching the word, when the definition comes directly from psychologists? Here it is again:

Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health. Users may not be aware that their behavior is out of control and causing problems for themselves and others.

You can read about the biological effects of gambling addiction here and the physiological effects of withdraw from gambling addition:

The Biopsychosocial Consequences of Pathological Gambling

Pathological Gambling: Biological and Clinical Considerations

Cancer is a scary thing. I hope I never get that, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Main reason why I don't smoke anymore. I love Mary Jane but I love my body more.

You don't have to smoke to enjoy the wonders of MJ.

:D

I know! Aside from the wondrous culinary possibilities, using vaporizors or taking solar hits also provide a means to smoke without holding a torch to it.

But I used to love rolling blunts. Nothing like a fat blunt of some White Widow. OG Kush. Sour Deisel. Etc. Cherry blunt wraps.

I will smoke again on occasion but not like I used to. I'd wakeNbake... head off to class high as Hell... smoke a joint in my Impala during break... go back to class... smoke a fat bowl when I got home. Go to work blazed. Hit the bong when I get back. Walk to the gym while I smoked a blunt. Stash another blunt outside before I exercise. Workout stoned. Smoke a blunt on the way back. Then blaze it up with friends before crashin' out!

Damn we would go through so much weed! And Las Vegas has nothin' but high quality herb...

Last edited:
That reward is ridiculous, but the tobacco should be sued. I have a friend with COPD from second hand smoke. He should sue the smokers & tobacco companies. The smokers that caused his illness are all dead now, but their estates should pay, along with the tobacco companies & Congress members who protected them. Just imagine how much this is costing us through our healthcare system.

Aww come on now...The COPD person had every opportunity to avoid things they deemed hazardous.
Plus, your friend has a very steep climb to the level of "burden of proof"..

No, he didn't have opportunities to avoid second hand smoke or flame retardants. When he was under a year old the court mandated he live in a house full of smokers. Then the only available jobs were full of smokers. Then his wife got addicted to smoking.

Cigarette companies made their products addictive.

Cigarette companies got laws passed mandating cancer causing flame retardants in furniture, carpet & clothes. Cigarette companies are a top health hazard to nonsmokers & smokers alike.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;9492359 said:
CaféAuLait;9491719 said:

You are wrong again. There are sex addictions, and gambling addiction ( it is not just something "done regularly", come on Pogo, you are a pretty smart guy and I know you know that) and they certainly does present biological effects. In fact both are mentioned in when defining the word addiction. Why do you keep accusing me of stretching the word, when the definition comes directly from psychologists? Here it is again:

Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health. Users may not be aware that their behavior is out of control and causing problems for themselves and others.

You can read about the biological effects of gambling addiction here and the physiological effects of withdraw from gambling addition:

The Biopsychosocial Consequences of Pathological Gambling

Pathological Gambling: Biological and Clinical Considerations

Obviously this is about semantics. You like to play loosely with terms and I believe in definitions that don't just get up and wander around. That's why you're a liberal and I'm an archconservative.

Linguistically speaking of course...

Forum List

Back