Man Spent 39 Years in Jail for Crime he didnt Commit. Now they are giving him 1 Million Dollars

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Thats right. He did 39 years in Jail. On the word of one person:

In 1975, Jackson and two of his friends, brothers Wiley and Ronnie Bridgeman, were falsely accused and convicted of the murder of Harold Franks outside a Cleveland convenience store. Jackson was 18 at the time. Wiley Bridgeman was 20, and Ronnie, now known as Kwame Ajamu, was 18.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/uva-student-from-chicago-injured-during-arrest/564344/

He's to receive close to 2 million in total but he's not bitter about jail...

"I really have to take my hat off to the prosecutors and the state for admitting their errors."

I mean...Wow

I think he should essentially be set up for the rest of his life....if the citizens, through their agents commit a wrong of this nature, then he should not have a thing to worry about for whatever time he has remaining....free medical....for him and whatever remains of his immediate family, a home....a nice home....wherever he may want to relocate, and a lot of money....tax free...for life......his kids or grandchildren should get free tuition........

You can't give those years back and a lousy 2 million is just not enough......

In 1975, Jackson and two of his friends, brothers Wiley and Ronnie Bridgeman, were falsely accused and convicted of the murder of Harold Franks outside a Cleveland convenience store. Jackson was 18 at the time. Wiley Bridgeman was 20, and Ronnie, now known as Kwame Ajamu, was 18.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/uva-student-from-chicago-injured-during-arrest/564344/

"I really have to take my hat off to the prosecutors and the state for admitting their errors."

I mean...Wow
This is a very common story. It happens all the time. It's heart-breaking to read these stories on "The Innocence Project" web site. It's far more common than most people realize. When you have a system of injustice such as we have, these things will happen. When courts allow circumstantial evidence, jailhouse snitches to testify, tainted evidence, witnesses that are coerced, forced confessions, planted evidence, lying cops and investigators, corrupt lawyers, and cherry picked jurors, false convictions are bound to happen. We see the reality of this all the time.

In America, you're guilty until by some miracle, you can prove your innocence. Our entire judicial system is a joke, and justice is just a nice sounding word with little meaning in our courts. Think about it the next time someone says our soldiers go to foreign soil to fight and die in the name of freedom.

If you're wrongfully imprisoned in the UK you're compensated roughly £6m for every year you spent behind bars. $2m for 39 years is an insult. He should get at least $100m.

In Texas you receive eighty thousand a year in compensation.
Thats pretty reasonable and would have netted the guy 3,120,000.
Still not enough in my mind but thats still a crapload of money for a guy that wouldnt likely make that much in his lifetime.

Still not enough in my mind but thats still a crapload of money for a guy that wouldnt likely make that much in his lifetime.

Why does this even merit consideration? He had 39 years of his life taken from him. That's all that counts.

I mean...Wow

You Communists constantly whine about the death penalty - isn't losing 40 years almost worse?

Uncensored, you are closer to groupthink of Marxism than anyone else on the Board.

Why does this even merit consideration? He had 39 years of his life taken from him. That's all that counts.

While I agree it sucks,he cant get those years back no matter how much money you give him.
What do you want to do,shoot the prosecutor?

While I agree it sucks,he cant get those years back no matter how much money you give him.
I am not advocating any such thing, but I believe sooner than later, especially in Texas, the figures in the DA officers are going to be ducking. Be more careful! Give the defense counsel everything that is required by law. Remember that you go home every night, while a mistake, deliberate or not, may rob an innocent person of his life.

What are the odds the guy would ever make two million bucks?
I will say it should be double that at least,and he shouldnt pay a dime in taxes for the rest of his life.

Oh bulshit.

No amount of money compensates for losing the best years of your life. There are things a 60 simply can't do that a 20 year old can. Chances are that having a family is forever denied, climbing half-dome, skiing Vale. It doesn't mean that he would have done these things, but the opportunity to live his life was denied. No settlement can change that.

Just imagine... 1 mln for spending maybe best years of his life in prison, with thugs, in appalling conditions. Great job! Maybe our police should better work lil bit harder? What do you think?

The issue is who should pay for it.
If the prosecution and judge/lawyers made this mistake,
why can't the taxpayers hold those people responsible.

What about the people who had PROTESTED the state all this time?
Why should all taxpayers have to pay for mistakes that were protested and contested,
just because those officials failed to "redress grievances and petitions"?
Why shouldn't ALL crime victims also receive compensation from the wrongdoers?

Why should taxpayers have to pay the housing, health care and other costs for people
who should have gotten help for their abuse or criminal issues BEFORE racking up these expenses.

We could pay for health care if taxpayers were reimbursed for all these costs of a failed criminal justice system run amok!

He should get nothing, he is prolly guilty of something else they didnt catch

:funnyface:

I am not advocating any such thing, but I believe sooner than later, especially in Texas, the figures in the DA officers are going to be ducking. Be more careful! Give the defense counsel everything that is required by law. Remember that you go home every night, while a mistake, deliberate or not, may rob an innocent person of his life.

Why especially in Texas? They pay more in compensation then any state I know of.
If the prosecution is caught withholding evidence or doing anything that denies someone a fair trial they should go to prison.

What are the odds the guy would ever make two million bucks?
I will say it should be double that at least,and he shouldnt pay a dime in taxes for the rest of his life.

Oh bulshit.

No amount of money compensates for losing the best years of your life. There are things a 60 simply can't do that a 20 year old can. Chances are that having a family is forever denied, climbing half-dome, skiing Vale. It doesn't mean that he would have done these things, but the opportunity to live his life was denied. No settlement can change that.

So what is your solution for compensation? You can piss and moan all you want but the fact is no amount of money will give the guy those years back.

Forum List

Back