Man was never to eat of the tree of life.

GreatestIam

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2012

I do not think man was ever intended to eat of the tree of life and you will note that nowhere in scriptures is it’s lose bemoaned.

We came out of Eden being as Gods and knowing all that he knows. God’s own words in this myth. They have become as Gods.

We are then denied the ability to have that knowledge live forever as it would make man stagnate at whatever level of knowledge he had then, or even now if we extrapolate the story to where we are all Adams. Our knowledge continues to evolve.

The archetypal God in this myth does not want man to idolize his own knowledge as that would stifle progress. We are to perpetually raise the bar and not make an unchangeable immortal idol of what we know. We are to deny ourselves the immortality of our ideas and knowledge. They, like man, are to evolve forever.

I bet you never thought of this myth that way.

Can you see it?

Regards
DL

except man ate freely from it before the fall and will again after He is redeemed

except man ate freely from it before the fall and will again after He is redeemed

That's not supported by Scripture. Unless it's in BoM?

21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
- Genesis 3

Why did god create free will and sin if everything is predetermined? God knows all and made this all happen, why the games?

Why did god create free will and sin if everything is predetermined? God knows all and made this all happen, why the games?

Dunno, when I asked something similar my rabbi stopped talking to me. :) Asked why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed before the giving of Torah and the Law at Mt. Sinai. :)

I would love to see footage of a mass of B-52s dropping napalm on Mecca in HD, during the "Hajj' Muslims want a war with the west? Let's give to them.

our actions are not predetermined.....they are our choices......God's foreknowledge of our actions do not cause our actions......our choices trigger his knowledge.....in order for his knowledge to cause our actions we would have to be privy to that which he knows......

That's not supported by Scripture. Unless it's in BoM?

21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
- Genesis 3

Those who are busy making up their own theology do not care about what is biblical or not.

Regards
DL

Yes. It makes us look like his make work project and makes him look like a bored God playing tyrant in some game.

No wonder some think we live in some kind of matrix.

Regards
DL

I would love to see footage of a mass of B-52s dropping napalm on Mecca in HD, during the "Hajj' Muslims want a war with the west? Let's give to them.

Now now. Do not think like a Christian would. That is mean.

Regards
DL

Just because God knows what our decisions will be that doesn't mean we don't control them. God is outside of time- duh..........

And you know this how? Duh.
You cannot know this as a fact Duh.

If you do, Duh, show how.

Regards
DL

I do not think man was ever intended to eat of the tree of life and you will note that nowhere in scriptures is it’s lose bemoaned.

We came out of Eden being as Gods and knowing all that he knows. God’s own words in this myth. They have become as Gods.

We are then denied the ability to have that knowledge live forever as it would make man stagnate at whatever level of knowledge he had then, or even now if we extrapolate the story to where we are all Adams. Our knowledge continues to evolve.

The archetypal God in this myth does not want man to idolize his own knowledge as that would stifle progress. We are to perpetually raise the bar and not make an unchangeable immortal idol of what we know. We are to deny ourselves the immortality of our ideas and knowledge. They, like man, are to evolve forever.

Can you see it?

Regards
DL

That is certainly one interesting interpretation of it, and who knows? You may be partially or completely right. I take the Garden of Eden story a bit more pragmatically as an allegorical story to show how everything that exists, God created it/caused it to happen. It shows how humankind is superior or designated overlords over all other creatures on Earth--God had Adam give the animals their names--and to describe God's creation as a perfect creation and a Utopia for the humans that God created. But because humankind was also given free will, humankind had the ability to disobey God and that introduced sin into the world along with the consequences for it. So sin, original sin, began when Adam and Eve disobeyed God.

As the story continues with Cain and Abel, sin then spread into the family, and in the story of Noah into the community and in the story of Babel throughout the world. IMO this section of Genesis is a compilation of manuscripts using allegory, symbolism, and metaphor to describe a recurring pattern of creation, sin, judgment, rescue/redemption

Can you see it?

Regards
DL

That is certainly one interesting interpretation of it, and who knows? You may be partially or completely right. I take the Garden of Eden story a bit more pragmatically as an allegorical story to show how everything that exists, God created it/caused it to happen. It shows how humankind is superior or designated overlords over all other creatures on Earth--God had Adam give the animals their names--and to describe God's creation as a perfect creation and a Utopia for the humans that God created. But because humankind was also given free will, humankind had the ability to disobey God and that introduced sin into the world along with the consequences for it. So sin, original sin, began when Adam and Eve disobeyed God.

As the story continues with Cain and Abel, sin then spread into the family, and in the story of Noah into the community and in the story of Babel throughout the world. IMO this section of Genesis is a compilation of manuscripts using allegory, symbolism, and metaphor to describe a recurring pattern of creation, sin, judgment, rescue/redemption

Yes, your typical hero theme. Obviously made up.

You know the Christian version of man's fall but did you know that the originators of that myth, the Jews, never saw it as a fall but instead saw Eden as where man was elevated?

2. Orthodox Judaism The Garden of Eden

Consider that people will pay more to be helped up than they will if they do not think they need help to be raised.

Now wonder what Christianity had in mind when they reversed the moral of the myth.

Regards
DL

Can you see it?

Regards
DL

You know the Christian version of man's fall but did you know that the originators of that myth, the Jews, never saw it as a fall but instead saw Eden as where man was elevated?

Consider that people will pay more to be helped up than they will if they do not think they need help to be raised.

Now wonder what Christianity had in mind when they reversed the moral of the myth.

Regards
DL

I simply don't interpret it, or what Christianity had in mind, as you do. Your link to Orthodox Judaism seems to agree with my perception far more than it agrees with yours. As for the fall of man, I don't necessarily agree with that author's interpretation of what Christians believe, but it does illustrate the Jewish belief that the Law was given to rescue the Jews from their own transgressions and it is in the keeping of the Law in which the Jews will find their salvation. The Jews did not expect the Messiah to be a Jesus--the orthodox Jews still don't--but that is what makes Christianity different from orthodox Judaism.

Can you see it?

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

I think I follow the Jewish thinking fairly closely. Gnostic Christian, being Universalists, cannot see God being the knowledge denying prick that Christianity has invented.

Jesus said seek and ye shall find meanwhile the O.T. God punishes A & E for seeking.

Regards
DL

Forum List

Back