Man Who Shot Bystander Granted Immunity Under Stand Your Ground Laws

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
I don't like this. If you shoot someone, it better be the one threatening you.

http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/11/the-gun-report-october-11-2013/?_r=1

October 11, 2013, 11:12 am

A man charged with killing a bystander in Columbia, S.C., has been granted immunity from prosecution after citing the state’s Stand Your Ground Act. In the early morning hours of April 17, 2010, an S.U.V. filled with teenage boys had been threatening Shannon Scott’s 15-year-old daughter, driving by their home and firing a gun. Shortly after, Darrel Niles, 17, a high school basketball player, drove by, and mistakenly believing Niles was involved with the earlier menacing, Scott, 33, shot him in the head with a .380 bullet, killing him instantly.

“He ascertained the threat and he reacted,” said Todd Rutherford, who is both Scott’s lawyer and the Democratic state representative who helped write the law in 2006. When questioned about a conflict of interest in his defense of Scott, Rutherford replied, “Who better to defend the law than someone who helped to write it?”

Rutherford’s view of events was challenged by 5th Circuit Assistant Solicitor April Sampson. “If this law were to be applied the way (Scott) wants to apply it,” she said, “he could shoot a 4-year-old playing in her front yard and still be immune from prosecution.” South Carolina would turn into “the Wild, Wild West” if fearful people can go around shooting just about anyone, she added.

• Banned
I don't know or care about the races of shooter or victim. In this case, the shooter should have been charged with at least manslaughter.

Police shoot innocent bystanders all the time and never get charged because of immunity laws connected to their job. Considering how trained they are and are the only ones professional enough to carry guns why aren't they be held to a higher standard when plugging some unfortunate citizen instead of the calls for this guy's head?

I don't like this. If you shoot someone, it better be the one threatening you.

http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/11/the-gun-report-october-11-2013/?_r=1

October 11, 2013, 11:12 am

A man charged with killing a bystander in Columbia, S.C., has been granted immunity from prosecution after citing the state’s Stand Your Ground Act. In the early morning hours of April 17, 2010, an S.U.V. filled with teenage boys had been threatening Shannon Scott’s 15-year-old daughter, driving by their home and firing a gun. Shortly after, Darrel Niles, 17, a high school basketball player, drove by, and mistakenly believing Niles was involved with the earlier menacing, Scott, 33, shot him in the head with a .380 bullet, killing him instantly.

“He ascertained the threat and he reacted,” said Todd Rutherford, who is both Scott’s lawyer and the Democratic state representative who helped write the law in 2006. When questioned about a conflict of interest in his defense of Scott, Rutherford replied, “Who better to defend the law than someone who helped to write it?”

Rutherford’s view of events was challenged by 5th Circuit Assistant Solicitor April Sampson. “If this law were to be applied the way (Scott) wants to apply it,” she said, “he could shoot a 4-year-old playing in her front yard and still be immune from prosecution.” South Carolina would turn into “the Wild, Wild West” if fearful people can go around shooting just about anyone, she added.

The parents of the victim will now own the shooter's house, car, retirement, etc.....as they should.

I get why the guy took action, but because he took the life of an innocent person still, I would not let him get away with it...even if he is sorry. That boy is not here anymore.

God bless you and him and the boy's family always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, other things could have been done to the boy instead of shooting him, especially if there was no proof that he was a part of that threatening gang.

• Banned
Police shoot innocent bystanders all the time and never get charged because of immunity laws connected to their job. Considering how trained they are and are the only ones professional enough to carry guns why aren't they be held to a higher standard when plugging some unfortunate citizen instead of the calls for this guy's head?

Yeah - cops love to conduct drug raids and frequently invade the wrong house and shoot people and nothing is ever done to the cops! That's wrong too.

I've read about ten articles on this incident and there aren't enough consistent facts to make a determination on it.

Forum List

Back