Manafort jury is asking judge what if we can't come to consensus

It won't be hard at all to prove manafort was a foreign agent.

After he was caught he went to the government and finally complied with the law by registering as a foreign agent.

He finally complied with the law in June 2017.

So manafort himself told the government he was a foreign agent but only after he was facing possible criminal charges for the crime of not registering with the government that he was a foreign agent.

Manafort registers as foreign agent

I know the details, just saying that the jury will get to decide if the case the prosecution presents sticks.

At least some of the charges as far as money laundering are concerned, aren't against the law if you are a registered foreign agent. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear the prosecution would have to prove he was acting as an unregistered foreign agent, at the point in time when the laundering charges could apply.

Still, what you or I think about it doesn't mean squat until the jury decides.

For those who don't know the particulars, here's a breakdown of the 18 charges:
  • Four counts of failing to report foreign bank accounts.
  • Five counts of conspiracy to commit bank fraud.
  • Four counts of bank fraud.
  • Five counts of subscribing to a false income tax return.
I list them in this order because this roughly shows the order of strength of the charges, in my unexpert, peanut gallery opinion. Based on the various news reports I've seen and read, it seems to me that charges from the first two groups will be the most likely to yield guilty verdicts. The third and fourth groups seem like there is more subjective interpretation involved.
let's take the first - 4 counts of of failing to report foreign bank accounts.

can the jury find him guilty of 2 of those and not 2 others or is this an all or nothing scenario for the 4?

if this is a hung jury, do we just pick this up and do it again later?

Generally, each charge is an independent action, even if the criminal offense is identical for each act. Imagine someone is charged with four counts of murder, after a shooting spree at a local mall. Three of the counts are easy for the jury to reach a guilty consensus on, but on the fourth the evidence suggests that the victim might have been accidentally killed by a stray bullet from police responding to the incident. In Manafort's case, the evidence theoretically might be shaky as to whether he actually owned two of the bank accounts.

Chances are, if the jury convicts on most charges but hangs on one, the government will probably call it a wash. He's looking at up to 300 years as it is. Even 1/6th of that time will guarantee he dies in prison.

Just as easily, he could be looking at walking out a 'free man'. All it takes is 1 juror....Just saying.

Some are claiming its one charge....its CNN so take with grain of salt. I think he is found guilty on MOST charges,will be given life since this is a political persecution and then immediately granted a pardon by President Trump just to show these clowns in the Mueller witch hunt who is REALLY in charge in America.
That'd be a great way for Trump to look guilty.
How so ? Pardon on charges unrelated to the President.
You don't think pardoning Manafort wouldn't make it look like Trump is guilty? It'd make it look like Trump is taking care of those who kiss his ring.
agreed. we as a society need to stop demanding OUR WAY ONLY OR WE INVESTIGATE!!!

shit's long since gotten old and now no one wants to take ownership of their actions and if they are, they just whine UNFAIR.

don't care anymore. if you committed a crime, pay the time and let it go.

After he was caught he went to the government and finally complied with the law by registering as a foreign agent.

So manafort himself told the government he was a foreign agent but only after he was facing possible criminal charges for the crime of not registering with the government that he was a foreign agent.

I know the details, just saying that the jury will get to decide if the case the prosecution presents sticks.

At least some of the charges as far as money laundering are concerned, aren't against the law if you are a registered foreign agent. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear the prosecution would have to prove he was acting as an unregistered foreign agent, at the point in time when the laundering charges could apply.

The article says he retroactively registered. That he was doing the illegal things around 2012.

Yes what we all think doesn't mean anything.

We will see what the jury decides.

The article says he retroactively registered. That he was doing the illegal things around 2012.

He was very possibly also doing it at the behest of obama State Department. They were trying to bring Ukraine into the Western sphere of Influence. Even trying to get them into NATO.

But, of course, we all know that International Politics is all done in the open and on the up-and-up, right girls??

I know what the article says. You are correct we will have to wait and see what the jury decides (pretty much what I have been saying all along, thanks).

Some are claiming its one charge....its CNN so take with grain of salt. I think he is found guilty on MOST charges,will be given life since this is a political persecution and then immediately granted a pardon by President Trump just to show these clowns in the Mueller witch hunt who is REALLY in charge in America.
That'd be a great way for Trump to look guilty.
How so ? Pardon on charges unrelated to the President.
You don't think pardoning Manafort wouldn't make it look like Trump is guilty? It'd make it look like Trump is taking care of those who kiss his ring.
If Trump isn’t implicated there is no issue

I know what the article says. You are correct we will have to wait and see what the jury decides (pretty much what I have been saying all along, thanks).

That's what I've been saying since my first reply to this thread.

LMAO! Turn on Fox News....jury sent judge a note asking what happens if they can't reach consensus.....that crumbling you hear is Mueller's witch hunt collapsing.

Q. A lie ^^^ by omission, how typical is that of a 21st Century Conservative & Fox News.

A. Very typical, and to be expected. Thus, don't trust and verify:

Paul Manafort jury asks about impact of not reaching verdict on one count - CNNPolitics

Paul Manafort jury asks about impact of not reaching verdict on one count - CNNPolitics
and you're going to *verify* with CNN.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahathatssomefunnyassshittheremangbwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Well, I'm not inclined to post anything from Fox; how about WAPO:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...t-jury-suggests-it-cannot-come-to-a-consensus

or Huffington

It Sure Seems Like A Jury Is About To Convict Paul Manafort At Trial | HuffPost

LMAO! Turn on Fox News....jury sent judge a note asking what happens if they can't reach consensus.....that crumbling you hear is Mueller's witch hunt collapsing.

Q. A lie ^^^ by omission, how typical is that of a 21st Century Conservative & Fox News.

A. Very typical, and to be expected. Thus, don't trust and verify:

and you're going to *verify* with CNN.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahathatssomefunnyassshittheremangbwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Well, I'm not inclined to post anything from Fox; how about WAPO:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...t-jury-suggests-it-cannot-come-to-a-consensus

or Huffington

It Sure Seems Like A Jury Is About To Convict Paul Manafort At Trial | HuffPost
give me reuters or something like that. these "speculation" sites have got people convinced speculating is news.

Just to clarify - Your contention is that money laundering isn't again the law if you are a registered foreign agent?
I find that difficult to believe, but do appreciate your intelligent posts.

Just as easily, he could be looking at walking out a 'free man'. All it takes is 1 juror....Just saying.

Jesus Easus - You SERIOUSLY think 1 juror is gonna find NOT GUILTY on ALL 18 charges? :lol:

He was very possibly also doing it at the behest of obama State Department. They were trying to bring Ukraine into the Western sphere of Influence. Even trying to get them into NATO.

But, of course, we all know that International Politics is all done in the open and on the up-and-up, right girls??

We LOVE conspiracy theories around here .. Just ask MindWars.
Do Continue!

Why the F*CK is this a jury trial? We have 12 persons who are likely ignorant in the law, in finance and in taxation deciding if a man is guilty on 18 counts? WTF?!?!??!

The Judge should decided this.

Jesus Easus - You SERIOUSLY think 1 juror is gonna find NOT GUILTY on ALL 18 charges? :lol:
It is evident that you have a serious reading comprehension problem. At no time did I ever say 1 juror is going to find Manafort Not Guilty of all 18 charges.

Easy. My people killed Jesus. Stop bringing his name up please.

Soooo just to be clear -
"Your people" killed Jesus some 2,000 years ago, but white people are no longer responsible for slavery between 1700 and 1885?
Just wanted to clarify - Thanks

Forum List

Back