Many Muslims can recite the Qur'an by age 12

How is this person tested to see if he really can recite the entire Quran?
They actually have a Hafiz testing certification boards.

Where anyone can be tested by being asked to recite random verses.

Also, throughout the Islamic world there are Quran reciting contests.

People get on stage and recite verses in front a large audience and a table of judges.

Top Quran reciters are famous and household names because of how perfectly and beautifully they recite the Quran. ... :cool:

Man, that takes me back. I remember the 'Bible drills' in Sunday School when I was a girl.

How is this person tested to see if he really can recite the entire Quran?
They actually have a Hafiz testing certification boards.

Where anyone can be tested by being asked to recite random verses.

Also, throughout the Islamic world there are Quran reciting contests.

People get on stage and recite verses in front a large audience and a table of judges.

Top Quran reciters are famous and household names because of how perfectly and beautifully they recite the Quran. ... :cool:

Sounds kinda fun and frivolous. Another thing I didn't know about Muslims. :)

The ability to memorize is still highly valued in the Middle East.

I remember reading about Iranian people setting around a camp fire and playing a game of reciting various lines of poetry by Rumi.

One person would say one line from a poem......and someone would say the next line.......and then another person the following line.

Keep in mind that Rumi wrote thousands of poems.

And one of his poems was composed of 6,000 lines. ... :cool:

I think it's rather sad that Western civilization has left memorization in the past. We should memorize more things.

I think it's rather sad that Western civilization has left memorization in the past. We should memorize more things.

Had an interesting role reversal along these lines helping Mom shop yesterday. Until recently, I was the family propeller-head. But while shopping, my paper list in hand I noted her list being on a tablet sorta device. :)

Always found that an admirable ability. But then there's only about 77k words in the Qur'an, and 774k in the Bible (Old and New Testament.) So our inability to do similarly isn't anything to be embarassed over. :)

For some comparison:

number of words in the Gettysburg address: 272
... US Constitution: 7652
... English language: about a million
... Arabic: about 250k

I don't know how admirable that really is. If I was cooped up in a madrassa chanting verses from the Koran 12 hours a day every day of my life till there was nothing else left in my head I would probably be eager to blow myself up by the age of 12 too......

Always found that an admirable ability. But then there's only about 77k words in the Qur'an, and 774k in the Bible (Old and New Testament.) So our inability to do similarly isn't anything to be embarassed over. :)

For some comparison:

Memorizing and reciting the Koran (in Arabic), by children, has absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

For one thing, this is strictly an exercise in memorization and 'pronunciation' as a status symbol. Its not like these kids have a clue as to actually knowing what they are reciting - or even how the words were pronounced a millennium ago.

Its a farce.

The only benefit memorization had was back before the Koran was written down....so that it would not be lost....now that it has been written down, of what use is memorization?

I remember reading about Iranian people setting around a camp fire and playing a game of reciting various lines of poetry by Rumi.

One person would say one line from a poem......and someone would say the next line.......and then another person the following line.

Wow! Sounds awesome!!! When are you going? Need help packing? (not fudge, I'll leave that to you obsessed muslims). :cool:

Memorising the quran parrot fashion, with no other education to contradict it is nothing but brain washing.

For some comparison:

Are you flirting with becoming a Muslim?

For some comparison:

Are you flirting with becoming a Muslim?

Well, Muslim women are pretty hot. I mean did you see the ankles on that one? wow:)

Thankfully, many are much, much shorter.

Did you know he was the inventor of airplane seats with lots of space?

For some comparison:

many muslims can recite the koran because they can't read. of course, many are also misled about what the book says because they can't read it for themselves.

kind of like the pretend constitutionalists who haven't a clue about constitutional constriction or the history of the document.

For some comparison:

many muslims can recite the koran because they can't read. of course, many are also misled about what the book says because they can't read it for themselves.

kind of like the pretend constitutionalists who haven't a clue about constitutional constriction or the history of the document.

Im sure many more can read it than you think.

And I agree that progressives should actually read the Constitution instead of pretending to be constitutionalists while undermining it.

Forum List

Back