Mark Twain

You don't think there is anything profound about his social commentary on chivalry in "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?" Many scholars remark about how he used the book to explore both capitalism and communism, and outline the strengths, and weaknesses, of both.

But what do I know, I never studied literature, I just read good books.

You are pissed off at me for doing exactly what Twain suggests in the statement you quoted: I am not going along with the crowd.

So, how effective are his words on you? Not profoudly, apparently.

First, I am not pissed off at you, I am sneering at your psuedo intellectual posturing for thinking you evolved beyond reading his work.

I have evolved beyond reading his work; there is nothing psuedo about it.

Sneering or pissed off, it makes no difference. You posted a statement that says if one finds oneself agreeing with the majority, one should step back and reconsider. Mark Twain is very popular in America; I would say most likely the majority of people in the US consider him one of the great writers and thinkers in American letters, even if they barely remember him from reading Huck Finn in high school and are most likely only familiar with him through the movies of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. Many people say Twain is one of our great writers, so people believe it. Thus, whether you are sneering or po'd, it is the same thing: I don't have the great admiration for Twain you do; he doesn' take my breath away: therefore, according to you, I am worthy of name calling and told I am "posturing."

I suppose it doesn't occur to you that there are many great minds more worthy of my admiration than Twain. Is it really necessary for me to include him among those I highly value and admire, otherwise I am a 'psuedo intellectual, 'a pompous ass,' and am "posturing."

I believe one thing Twain may have respected, and that is intellectual honesty. Perhaps you need to check yours.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back