Massive Amtrak Crash....but who cares about our highways and trains?

Raise taxes to what they were before St Redink Ronnie started running up the national debt.

If we raised taxes to 100%, we still can't pay our debts - you obviously didn't think that thru.

Prove it!

Are you really that disconnected? You aren't aware of that? You need to go back to school, my friend.

I didn't realize you were so unversed in the subject being discussed.

If you really do need a tutorial, I'll be more than happy to provide it.

You made a claim and Derideo is asking you to prove it. Stop shuffling your pixels around and do it.
Only a complete moron would think that at a 100% tax rate anyone will work at all.

Since Spare_Change is the one that suggested a 100% tax rate are you calling him a "complete moron" now?

Amtrak loses tens of millions a year, and when it is responsible for five deaths, the response is to give them more money? This is the problem with what are essentially state funded monopolies, they have no incentive to become efficient and innovate and lower costs because they have no competition. They have perverted profit incentives where the continuation of their business is not contingent on running a profit, but on receiving and maximizing government subsidies. Whereas a fully private company that ran losses like this and had a major accident like this would go out of business, this incident could very well increase their funding. How insane is that? What needs to happen is for Amtrak to go out of business and for there to be free market competition in railway transportation

actually, guy, most European railroads are subsidized by the government and have been for years.

The problem with AmTrak is that Congress insists it run like a business and ALSO insists that it serve regions that are underserved.

For instance, AmTrak runs the Zephyr that runs from Chicago to San Francisco, at a cost of $112 Million, but only had 376,000 riders last year.
Amtrak loses tens of millions a year, and when it is responsible for five deaths, the response is to give them more money? This is the problem with what are essentially state funded monopolies, they have no incentive to become efficient and innovate and lower costs because they have no competition. They have perverted profit incentives where the continuation of their business is not contingent on running a profit, but on receiving and maximizing government subsidies. Whereas a fully private company that ran losses like this and had a major accident like this would go out of business, this incident could very well increase their funding. How insane is that? What needs to happen is for Amtrak to go out of business and for there to be free market competition in railway transportation

actually, guy, most European railroads are subsidized by the government and have been for years.

The problem with AmTrak is that Congress insists it run like a business and ALSO insists that it serve regions that are underserved.

For instance, AmTrak runs the Zephyr that runs from Chicago to San Francisco, at a cost of $112 Million, but only had 376,000 riders last year.
It's nice to have a public rail system across the continent, particularly when America provides for their defense under Nato. European nations are not a a shining example of fiscal solvency.

If Amtrak were a business, it wouldn't be I'm business and would have gone bankrupt a long time ago.

Only 112 million? Looks like 112 million down the tube that could have been more efficiently allocated according to market demand. But instead it goes towards a unprofitable train people dont use that much. That's lost jobs and investment in more efficient sectors.

Relevant:

Amtrak loses a ton of money each year. It doesn t have to. - The Washington Post

...best way to think of Amtrak is that it's essentially two different train systems rolled into one. One system is quite successful, the other isn't...

From the same link....

Think of the Acela Express in the Northeast, or the Pacific Surfliner between San Diego and Los Angeles. These 26 routes carry four-fifths of Amtrak's passengers, or 25.8 million riders per year. And they're growing rapidly. Taken as a whole, these shorter routes are profitable to operate — mainly because the two big routes in the Northeast Corridor earn enough to cover losses elsewhere.

The reasonable action would be to keep the profitable, get rid of the rest. Use the profits to maintain the integrity of the system that remains.

Yes, that would be reasonable.

But who would suffer if the unprofitable lines were abandoned?

Those rural districts who elect Republicans, right?

So they would turn on their representatives and replace them, right?

Seems to me that those that are slashing spending on Amtrak are the ones who haven't thought this through.

If we raised taxes to 100%, we still can't pay our debts - you obviously didn't think that thru.

Prove it!

Are you really that disconnected? You aren't aware of that? You need to go back to school, my friend.

You made a claim and Derideo is asking you to prove it. Stop shuffling your pixels around and do it.
Only a complete moron would think that at a 100% tax rate anyone will work at all.

Since Spare_Change is the one that suggested a 100% tax rate are you calling him a "complete moron" now?
He said "if." You do know what "if" means don't you? Or do I need to educate you on even two letter words now?

Relevant:

Amtrak loses a ton of money each year. It doesn t have to. - The Washington Post

...best way to think of Amtrak is that it's essentially two different train systems rolled into one. One system is quite successful, the other isn't...

From the same link....

Think of the Acela Express in the Northeast, or the Pacific Surfliner between San Diego and Los Angeles. These 26 routes carry four-fifths of Amtrak's passengers, or 25.8 million riders per year. And they're growing rapidly. Taken as a whole, these shorter routes are profitable to operate — mainly because the two big routes in the Northeast Corridor earn enough to cover losses elsewhere.

The reasonable action would be to keep the profitable, get rid of the rest. Use the profits to maintain the integrity of the system that remains.

Seems to me that those that are slashing spending on Amtrak are the ones who haven't thought this through.
Amtrack should be funded by the people who use it, not by the people who don't need or want it.

just posting what the investigators say happened you ignorant fool.

still waiting for that proof btw....but i see you're nothing but a jr. jakestarkey who never gives proof or evidence of his claims.

what role did i play? are you clinically insane? the engineer, who was driving the train is faultless to you, but me, who was not involved in any of this is at fault. :lol:

Are you denying that you support the tax cuts and spending cuts malfeasance of the GOP now?

i don't support all tax cuts and i don't support malfeasance. you're an idiot for blaming me.

are you denying the engineer bears responsibility for being over twice the posted allowable speed?

where is that proof that spending cuts by the gop was responsible for this crash jakey jr?

Which tax cuts and spending cuts don't you support?

You obviously do support the cuts that just cost 8 Americans their lives.

So yes, their blood is still on your hands.

nice dodge of my question.

still waiting for that proof.....you keep claiming that budget cuts were at fault, but can't cite a single thing to support that claim. how much are you paying jakey for this lesson?

you must have already forgotten that i said the recent budget cuts by the pubs was dumb, you even thanked the post.....but yeah....their blood is on my hands and the engineer is totally not at fault. :rolleyes:

So you agreed with all of the prior tax cuts and spending cuts that resulted in Amtrak not having sufficient funding to fully implement PTC which would have prevented this accident therefore you do bear your share of responsibility for the blame.

Too bad you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own greed and selfishness.

i have honesty and integrity. you're the one being dishonest by claiming i am at fault and blaming spending with no proof, no citations, no evidence. if you were honest and had integrity, you would answer my question about the engineer and provide evidence of your claims.

instead, you're just a spiteful partisan hack who makes wild ass claims that have no basis in reality.

Prove it!

He said "if." You do know what "if" means don't you? Or do I need to educate you on even two letter words now?

Another semantic quibble because you can't defend your own inanities?

:rofl:

$825 million .... where do you propose we get it? What program are you willing to cut?

Raise taxes to what they were before St Redink Ronnie started running up the national debt.

Prove it!

why doesn't derideo prove his claims? why don't you?

just posting what the investigators say happened you ignorant fool.

still waiting for that proof btw....but i see you're nothing but a jr. jakestarkey who never gives proof or evidence of his claims.

what role did i play? are you clinically insane? the engineer, who was driving the train is faultless to you, but me, who was not involved in any of this is at fault. :lol:

Are you denying that you support the tax cuts and spending cuts malfeasance of the GOP now?

i don't support all tax cuts and i don't support malfeasance. you're an idiot for blaming me.

are you denying the engineer bears responsibility for being over twice the posted allowable speed?

where is that proof that spending cuts by the gop was responsible for this crash jakey jr?

still waiting for that proof.....you keep claiming that budget cuts were at fault, but can't cite a single thing to support that claim. how much are you paying jakey for this lesson?

you must have already forgotten that i said the recent budget cuts by the pubs was dumb, you even thanked the post.....but yeah....their blood is on my hands and the engineer is totally not at fault. :rolleyes:

So you agreed with all of the prior tax cuts and spending cuts that resulted in Amtrak not having sufficient funding to fully implement PTC which would have prevented this accident therefore you do bear your share of responsibility for the blame.

Too bad you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own greed and selfishness.

It's just sheer stupidity more than anything else. The I-95 corridor is the busiest in the country, connecting D.C. to Boston with Phila and NYC in between. It's a no-brainer since 9/11 when people used to commute by regional air. But now no one wants to spend 5 hours getting someplace when it takes 2 hours by train. Especially when everyone who travels Amtrak Acela KNOWS the damn thing goes over 90 mph most of the time.

And you don't have to take off your shoes or even show an I.D. to board.

Relevant:

From the same link....

What slashing?
The House passed an increase in funding.

Prove it!

why doesn't derideo prove his claims? why don't you?

See, we knew you were blowing smoke out your sizable ass.

i have honesty and integrity. you're the one being dishonest by claiming i am at fault and blaming spending with no proof, no citations, no evidence. if you were honest and had integrity, you would answer my question about the engineer and provide evidence of your claims.

instead, you're just a spiteful partisan hack who makes wild ass claims that have no basis in reality.

You were given the opportunity to state which tax cuts and spending you opposed. Since you did not state that you opposed prior spending cuts to Amtrak that prevented it from installing PTC that means that you supported them ergo you bear partial responsibility for the accident.

And yes, you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own role. But that is your problem, not mine.

Relevant:

From the same link....

What slashing?

The House just slashed Amtrak funding by $250 million.

Another semantic quibble because you can't defend your own inanities?

:rofl:
No, another explanation of why you're incapable of holding a conversation with an adult.

From the same link....

What slashing?

Tissue?

You were given the opportunity to state which tax cuts and spending you opposed. Since you did not state that you opposed prior spending cuts to Amtrak that prevented it from installing PTC that means that you supported them ergo you bear partial responsibility for the accident.

And yes, you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own role. But that is your problem, not mine.
^ Troll

The failure of Amtrak in effect a product of state intervention a and monopolization. Amtrak has no profit incentive to innovate or to find ways to lower cost to improve their infrastructure. If there were a free market there would be competition amongst companies to provide the lowest cost product at the greatest quantity.

From the same link....

What slashing?

That bill passed the House Committee.
House committee passes bill that cuts Amtrak funding - CNNPolitics.com
It still needs to be voted on by the House and then the Senate.

While you ignore that the House passed an increase in funding in March of this year.

From the same link....

What slashing?

That bill passed the House Committee.
House committee passes bill that cuts Amtrak funding - CNNPolitics.com
It still needs to be voted on by the House and then the Senate.

While you ignore that the House passed an increase in funding in March of this year.

"In March, the House approved legislation that would authorize Amtrak to pump more money into the Northeast Corridor route but that measure has yet to muscle its way through the Senate."

That is not an "increase in funding". The actual funding was cut.

Forum List

Back