Massive Amtrak Crash....but who cares about our highways and trains?

The reasonable action would be to keep the profitable, get rid of the rest. Use the profits to maintain the integrity of the system that remains.

Yes, that would be reasonable.

But who would suffer if the unprofitable lines were abandoned?

Those rural districts who elect Republicans, right?

So they would turn on their representatives and replace them, right?

Seems to me that those that are slashing spending on Amtrak are the ones who haven't thought this through.

What slashing?
The House passed an increase in funding.

The House just slashed Amtrak funding by $250 million.

That bill passed the House Committee.
House committee passes bill that cuts Amtrak funding - CNNPolitics.com
It still needs to be voted on by the House and then the Senate.

While you ignore that the House passed an increase in funding in March of this year.

"In March, the House approved legislation that would authorize Amtrak to pump more money into the Northeast Corridor route but that measure has yet to muscle its way through the Senate."

That is not an "increase in funding". The actual funding was cut.

Not yet- only the committee passed the bill, it now goes to the House floor for a vote.
The funding will not be cut until the House passes the bill.

Yes, that would be reasonable.

But who would suffer if the unprofitable lines were abandoned?

Those rural districts who elect Republicans, right?

So they would turn on their representatives and replace them, right?

Seems to me that those that are slashing spending on Amtrak are the ones who haven't thought this through.

What slashing?

While you ignore that the House passed an increase in funding in March of this year.

"In March, the House approved legislation that would authorize Amtrak to pump more money into the Northeast Corridor route but that measure has yet to muscle its way through the Senate."

Not yet- only the committee passed the bill, it now goes to the House floor for a vote.

Do you support the funding cut?

What slashing?

What has that got to do with your claim that the bill had already been passed for the cuts when it hasn't?

What has that got to do with your claim that the bill had already been passed for the cuts when it hasn't?

Where did I claim that the bill had been passed?

You said " The actual funding was cut" in post 520.
Add that to your post # 514
The bill still needs to pass the House floor.

Add that to your post # 512
They don't mind lying to themselves if it means they can mindlessly attack the GOP.
:dunno:

That was in reference to committee!

You said the House not the committee.

Post 514 - " The House just slashed Amtrak funding by $250 million".
Where is the word House Committee?

i don't support all tax cuts and i don't support malfeasance. you're an idiot for blaming me.

are you denying the engineer bears responsibility for being over twice the posted allowable speed?

where is that proof that spending cuts by the gop was responsible for this crash jakey jr?

Which tax cuts and spending cuts don't you support?

You obviously do support the cuts that just cost 8 Americans their lives.

So yes, their blood is still on your hands.

nice dodge of my question.

still waiting for that proof.....you keep claiming that budget cuts were at fault, but can't cite a single thing to support that claim. how much are you paying jakey for this lesson?

you must have already forgotten that i said the recent budget cuts by the pubs was dumb, you even thanked the post.....but yeah....their blood is on my hands and the engineer is totally not at fault. :rolleyes:

So you agreed with all of the prior tax cuts and spending cuts that resulted in Amtrak not having sufficient funding to fully implement PTC which would have prevented this accident therefore you do bear your share of responsibility for the blame.

Too bad you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own greed and selfishness.

i have honesty and integrity. you're the one being dishonest by claiming i am at fault and blaming spending with no proof, no citations, no evidence. if you were honest and had integrity, you would answer my question about the engineer and provide evidence of your claims.

instead, you're just a spiteful partisan hack who makes wild ass claims that have no basis in reality.

You were given the opportunity to state which tax cuts and spending you opposed. Since you did not state that you opposed prior spending cuts to Amtrak that prevented it from installing PTC that means that you supported them ergo you bear partial responsibility for the accident.

And yes, you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own role. But that is your problem, not mine.

nope. you refuse to answer my questions or provide proof, so you don't get to ask me questions until you start to reciprocate. i've answered other questions you have, now man up and do the same....unless of course you have something to hide.

If we raised taxes to 100%, we still can't pay our debts - you obviously didn't think that thru.

Prove it!

Are you really that disconnected? You aren't aware of that? You need to go back to school, my friend.

I didn't realize you were so unversed in the subject being discussed.

If you really do need a tutorial, I'll be more than happy to provide it.

You made a claim and Derideo is asking you to prove it. Stop shuffling your pixels around and do it.

why doesn't derideo prove his claims? why don't you?

See, we knew you were blowing smoke out your sizable ass.

how is the fact you and derideo fail to support your claims, whereas i have, mean i'm blowing smoke?

you two are just trolling this thread and doubling down on stupid. they could find the engineer 100% at fault and you two hacks would still blame republicans.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gee, I made a mistake. Mea culpa!

The failure of Amtrak in effect a product of state intervention a and monopolization. Amtrak has no profit incentive to innovate or to find ways to lower cost to improve their infrastructure. If there were a free market there would be competition amongst companies to provide the lowest cost product at the greatest quantity.

You're not making any sense. How can Amtrak, or any company for that matter cut costs and improve infrastructure at the sametime.

If cutting costs is your only path to success "by choice,"and therefore profitability, it is in fact a recipe for disaster and will soon enough lead to the company's demise.

the guy has no clue what he is talking about in this thread....heck, he blamed me personally for the crash

:lol:

Which tax cuts and spending cuts don't you support?

You obviously do support the cuts that just cost 8 Americans their lives.

So yes, their blood is still on your hands.

still waiting for that proof.....you keep claiming that budget cuts were at fault, but can't cite a single thing to support that claim. how much are you paying jakey for this lesson?

you must have already forgotten that i said the recent budget cuts by the pubs was dumb, you even thanked the post.....but yeah....their blood is on my hands and the engineer is totally not at fault. :rolleyes:

So you agreed with all of the prior tax cuts and spending cuts that resulted in Amtrak not having sufficient funding to fully implement PTC which would have prevented this accident therefore you do bear your share of responsibility for the blame.

Too bad you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own greed and selfishness.

i have honesty and integrity. you're the one being dishonest by claiming i am at fault and blaming spending with no proof, no citations, no evidence. if you were honest and had integrity, you would answer my question about the engineer and provide evidence of your claims.

instead, you're just a spiteful partisan hack who makes wild ass claims that have no basis in reality.

You were given the opportunity to state which tax cuts and spending you opposed. Since you did not state that you opposed prior spending cuts to Amtrak that prevented it from installing PTC that means that you supported them ergo you bear partial responsibility for the accident.

And yes, you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own role. But that is your problem, not mine.

nope. you refuse to answer my questions or provide proof, so you don't get to ask me questions until you start to reciprocate. i've answered other questions you have, now man up and do the same....unless of course you have something to hide.

You keep on deflecting because you lack both honesty and integrity.

That much is obvious to everyone reading your posts.

And yes, that is your problem, not mine!

You keep on deflecting because you lack both honesty and integrity.

That much is obvious to everyone reading your posts.

And yes, that is your problem, not mine!

so your refusal to back up any of your claims, answer my question put you....is me deflecting?

troll on!

the guy has no clue what he is talking about in this thread....heck, he blamed me personally for the crash

More proof of your dishonesty.

I asked you to accept responsibility for supporting tax cuts and spending cuts that prevented Amtrak from fully implementing PTC that would have prevented this crash.

That you have to distort what I actually posted is typical of someone who lacks integrity.

I asked you to accept responsibility for supporting tax cuts and spending cuts that prevented Amtrak from fully implementing PTC that would have prevented this crash.

That you have to distort what I actually posted is typical of someone who lacks integrity.

i asked you if the engineer has any responsibility for the crash. i asked you to provide proof that spending cuts were responsible.

you refuse to answer and refuse to provide proof.

what did i distort?

are you jakestarkey's sock puppet?

The engineer was not competent, promoted for political reasons, it's apparent. But now a days I wonder about fellow drivers, the stupidity and incompetence of people operating motor vehicles. Our standards of knowledge and integrity are so lax, this society on a slippery slope to chaos. Standards discriminate. Damn straight they do, against ignorance and stupidity.

i asked you if the engineer has any responsibility for the crash. i asked you to provide proof that spending cuts were responsible.

you refuse to answer and refuse to provide proof.

what did i distort?

are you jakestarkey's sock puppet?

Read and learn!

This Is Why Amtrak Funding Is So Difficult For Congress

In Washington Amtrak s funding has long been under threat MSNBC

He proposed putting a second Asst Engineer in the cab to help with the workload and to double check each other.

Sounds like a good idea, but installing the PTC will probably take care of the problem. The question is, will Amtrak have enough money to do it by Dec 2015 now that Republicans have voted to cut their funding even more.

Rail News - Sound Transit to install PTC equipment on trains. For Railroad Career Professionals

I thought railroads charged passengers to ride on their trains. They need to raise the price of a ticket and get more customers. How many airlines or bus companies get subsidized year after year?

Forum List

Back