Massive Amtrak Crash....but who cares about our highways and trains?

Amtrak loses tens of millions a year, and when it is responsible for five deaths, the response is to give them more money? This is the problem with what are essentially state funded monopolies, they have no incentive to become efficient and innovate and lower costs because they have no competition. They have perverted profit incentives where the continuation of their business is not contingent on running a profit, but on receiving and maximizing government subsidies. Whereas a fully private company that ran losses like this and had a major accident like this would go out of business, this incident could very well increase their funding. How insane is that? What needs to happen is for Amtrak to go out of business and for there to be free market competition in railway transportation
Why not? Our elected representatives complain about the People exercising their Individual Liberty when they should be fixing Standards for the Union.

While the rest of the world is investing in rail transportation as an efficient, low carbon method of moving both goods and people, the U.S. is cutting funding.
There is no cure for stupid.
Speaking of stupid....
No rail system in the world moves more goods than the NA class-I railroads, all of which are privately owned and funded.
Non-commuter passenger service in the US will never be popular because other means of travel are more attractive.

While the rest of the world is investing in rail transportation as an efficient, low carbon method of moving both goods and people, the U.S. is cutting funding.
There is no cure for stupid.
Speaking of stupid....
No rail system in the world moves more goods than the NA class-I railroads, all of which are privately owned and funded.
Non-commuter passenger service in the US will never be popular because other means of travel are more attractive.
I believe the public sector should be responsible for the physical layer of infrastructure.

If we raised taxes to 100%, we still can't pay our debts - you obviously didn't think that thru.

Prove it!

Are you really that disconnected? You aren't aware of that? You need to go back to school, my friend.

I didn't realize you were so unversed in the subject being discussed.

If you really do need a tutorial, I'll be more than happy to provide it.

In other words you are just blowing extremist rightwing smoke out of your nether regions again.
This from the piece of shit leftist who blames republicans for "speeders."

Ironic coming the poster who lacks any semblance of self control to post in a civilized manner.
Liar. I use self control when want to. Which is usually when I'm not dealing with a piece of shit like you.

In yet another curious turn in the investigation, Robert Sumwalt of the National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday that the train sped up in the last minute or so before the wreck, accelerating from 70 mph to over 100 mph.

He said it is not clear yet whether the speed was increased manually. So far, investigators have found no problems with the track, the signals or the locomotive, and the train was running on time, Sumwalt said.

Amtrak engineer was obsessed with trains as a teen - Yahoo News

more bad news for NTPP and derideo and their twisted political agenda....

More mindless speculation on your part!

What if the train malfunctioned?

What if the engineer had a seizure?

Positive Train Control would have prevented this accident.

Once again your greed and selfishness has killed Americans.

Too bad you also lack the honesty and integrity to admit the role that you have played in this tragedy.

You can have the latest greatest infrastructure in the world, but if a train operator is going to be running the train along at 106 mph in a section of track that supports half that speed, you're going to crash. Period !!

Another epic fail thread by this OP ! :biggrin:

Wrong A$$hat.

The technology exists wherein there are sensors in the tracks going into low speed corners which detect when a train is going too fast and through satellite relays, brake the train. This technology has been in existence for years and has been installed in some sections of this New York to Washington corridor, but obviously not the section where this accident occurred. The train was equipment for the satellite braking but the track hadn't been upgraded. Had the US funded the infrastructure upgrades, there would have been no derailment of this train, regardless of what caused the train to speed up.
If there had been a second operator in the cab of that train, whatever caused the train to speed up may have been noticed and prevented. Of course that costs more money so Am-Trak, which is a money-losing company, cheaped out.
Investment in infrastructure could have prevented this accident. Running a railroad to the bottom line, cost 7 people their lives.
Intentional operator error. Impossible to get past that point.

Assumes facts not in evidence!

Relevant:

Amtrak loses a ton of money each year. It doesn t have to. - The Washington Post

...best way to think of Amtrak is that it's essentially two different train systems rolled into one. One system is quite successful, the other isn't...

From the same link....

Think of the Acela Express in the Northeast, or the Pacific Surfliner between San Diego and Los Angeles. These 26 routes carry four-fifths of Amtrak's passengers, or 25.8 million riders per year. And they're growing rapidly. Taken as a whole, these shorter routes are profitable to operate — mainly because the two big routes in the Northeast Corridor earn enough to cover losses elsewhere.

In yet another curious turn in the investigation, Robert Sumwalt of the National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday that the train sped up in the last minute or so before the wreck, accelerating from 70 mph to over 100 mph.

He said it is not clear yet whether the speed was increased manually. So far, investigators have found no problems with the track, the signals or the locomotive, and the train was running on time, Sumwalt said.

Too bad you also lack the honesty and integrity to admit the role that you have played in this tragedy.

just posting what the investigators say happened you ignorant fool.

still waiting for that proof btw....but i see you're nothing but a jr. jakestarkey who never gives proof or evidence of his claims.

what role did i play? are you clinically insane? the engineer, who was driving the train is faultless to you, but me, who was not involved in any of this is at fault. :lol:

Prove it!

Are you really that disconnected? You aren't aware of that? You need to go back to school, my friend.

In other words you are just blowing extremist rightwing smoke out of your nether regions again.
This from the piece of shit leftist who blames republicans for "speeders."

Ironic coming the poster who lacks any semblance of self control to post in a civilized manner.
Liar. I use self control when want to. Which is usually when I'm not dealing with a piece of shit like you.

rofl_logo.jpg

Oh the irony!!!

still waiting for that proof btw....but i see you're nothing but a jr. jakestarkey who never gives proof or evidence of his claims.

what role did i play? are you clinically insane? the engineer, who was driving the train is faultless to you, but me, who was not involved in any of this is at fault. :lol:

Are you denying that you support the tax cuts and spending cuts malfeasance of the GOP now?

Are you denying that you support the tax cuts and spending cuts malfeasance of the GOP now?

i don't support all tax cuts and i don't support malfeasance. you're an idiot for blaming me.

are you denying the engineer bears responsibility for being over twice the posted allowable speed?

where is that proof that spending cuts by the gop was responsible for this crash jakey jr?

I agree with the OP for once.

What needs to happen is........progressives need to foot the bill for new US infrastructure. Since so many trillions of $$ have gone to their failed causes in the past 50 years, they should be responsible and step up and open up their wallets!! THEY pay the fucking taxes on this!!:rock::rock::up: When policies you support ruin a whole race, its reparations time. THEY foot the bill and provide blacks the jobs = winning.

Yeah, and conservatives not allowed on them.......and then you'll be whining that it is unfair......typical conservative whiner.

Last time I mentioned our crumbling infrastructure I was derided for sounding like a broken record. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and 140 injured. So six people dead and....

Not to mention that all train traffic between Phila and NYC has been stopped since last night at 9:30. You shut down NYC and the country will come to a halt, too.

i don't support all tax cuts and i don't support malfeasance. you're an idiot for blaming me.

are you denying the engineer bears responsibility for being over twice the posted allowable speed?

where is that proof that spending cuts by the gop was responsible for this crash jakey jr?

Which tax cuts and spending cuts don't you support?

You obviously do support the cuts that just cost 8 Americans their lives.

So yes, their blood is still on your hands.

nice dodge of my question.

still waiting for that proof.....you keep claiming that budget cuts were at fault, but can't cite a single thing to support that claim. how much are you paying jakey for this lesson?

you must have already forgotten that i said the recent budget cuts by the pubs was dumb, you even thanked the post.....but yeah....their blood is on my hands and the engineer is totally not at fault. :rolleyes:

nice dodge of my question.

still waiting for that proof.....you keep claiming that budget cuts were at fault, but can't cite a single thing to support that claim. how much are you paying jakey for this lesson?

you must have already forgotten that i said the recent budget cuts by the pubs was dumb, you even thanked the post.....but yeah....their blood is on my hands and the engineer is totally not at fault. :rolleyes:

So you agreed with all of the prior tax cuts and spending cuts that resulted in Amtrak not having sufficient funding to fully implement PTC which would have prevented this accident therefore you do bear your share of responsibility for the blame.

Too bad you lack the honesty and integrity to admit to your own greed and selfishness.

$825 million .... where do you propose we get it? What program are you willing to cut?

Raise taxes to what they were before St Redink Ronnie started running up the national debt.

If we raised taxes to 100%, we still can't pay our debts - you obviously didn't think that thru.

Prove it!

You made a claim and Derideo is asking you to prove it. Stop shuffling your pixels around and do it.

$825 million .... where do you propose we get it? What program are you willing to cut?

Raise taxes to what they were before St Redink Ronnie started running up the national debt.

Prove it!

You made a claim and Derideo is asking you to prove it. Stop shuffling your pixels around and do it.
Only a complete moron would think that at a 100% tax rate anyone will work at all.

Relevant:

Amtrak loses a ton of money each year. It doesn t have to. - The Washington Post

...best way to think of Amtrak is that it's essentially two different train systems rolled into one. One system is quite successful, the other isn't...

From the same link....

Think of the Acela Express in the Northeast, or the Pacific Surfliner between San Diego and Los Angeles. These 26 routes carry four-fifths of Amtrak's passengers, or 25.8 million riders per year. And they're growing rapidly. Taken as a whole, these shorter routes are profitable to operate — mainly because the two big routes in the Northeast Corridor earn enough to cover losses elsewhere.

The reasonable action would be to keep the profitable, get rid of the rest. Use the profits to maintain the integrity of the system that remains.

Forum List

Back