Mastercard, Visa suspend operations in Russia after invasion

I honestly have no idea how to end this mess. I don't think Putin's actions have the support of 10% of the Russian people, but we're pushing them all into a corner.

Sometimes DECISIVE war is better than sanctions. But you don't go to war with a nuclear superpower easily.

The US and Russia have options when it comes to openly fighting each other with their respective military forces, but only if such a war remained conventional—non-nuclear. Our governments, ours and Russia's, are perhaps the most selfish and psychotic in human history. The way our American leaders see it, if they cannot run America then America should no longer exist. If Russian or Chinese forces invaded the lower 48 our own government would nuke itself, if it thought for one moment the enemy was about to win.

But that's all academic because any war fought between the US and Russia will go nuclear, either at the outset of hostilities or shortly thereafter. Russia cannot win a conventional air or land war against both the United States and NATO's combined power. So, when Russia started to lose such a war, Putin would absolutely resort to nuclear weapons and then it's game over for most of the human race.

You're right—we cannot directly fight the Russians and win; there's just no feasible way. If we try to topple Putin's government with extreme sanctions or by backing Ukrainian guerillas, and Putin thinks we are succeeding, he will go nuclear. What we want or should want is for the Russian government to remain as stable and in control as possible. A cornered animal will not only fight to the death but also try to take its attackers down to hell with it.

He's a FAR better American than you'll ever be.

You leftists are like this. You can't accept that there are decent people who simply disagree with you. YOU are what makes you a nazi
Excuse me, but I did not say, as that poster did, that he wishes Putin was President of the United States. Yea, he said that, proudly, and without any ambiguity.

Hell, you might agree with him.

Looks like the whole world is trying to back them into a corner. I wonder if they'll get the response they are hoping for?
back a dog in the corner, dog fights.

look like we're going to remember what a war is all about.

Mastercard, Visa suspend operations in Russia after invasion

NEW YORK (AP) — Mastercard and Visa are suspending their operations in Russia, the companies said Saturday, in the latest blow to the country's financial system after its invasion of Ukraine.

Mastercard said cards issued by Russian banks will no longer be supported by its network and any card issued outside the country will not work at Russian stores or ATMs.

“We don't take this decision lightly,” Mastercard said in a statement, adding that it made the move after discussions with customers, partners and governments.

Visa said it's working with clients and partners in Russia to cease all Visa transactions over the coming days.

"We are compelled to act following Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, and the unacceptable events that we have witnessed,” Visa Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Al Kelly said in a statement.

Many other companies around the world have also made moves to increase the financial pressure on Russia and its people because of its attack on Ukraine.

"This war and the ongoing threat to peace and stability demand we respond in line with our values," Kelly said.

This sounds ominous. Is the West hellbent on pushing Russia into WW3? Most checking account debit cards are one of these two—Visa or Mastercard. Seems like bad times ahead for the average Russian citizen. Have credit card companies dropped entire nations in the past?
Pre-cursor to what they will do against any political opponents. Social Credit System is here now.

back a dog in the corner, dog fights.

look like we're going to remember what a war is all about.
This is why Trump is infinitely better than the Vegetable. Tough TALKING Democrats will talk us into a nuclear war.

Trump handles the mad dogs so much better. Who cares if the war-mongers on the left accuse a much smarter president Trump of being in bed with dictators.

Wonder if they must still pay debt.
No....that's why it's a stupid move...

Its like chopping off your own hand to throw it at somebody. Pure virtue signaling devoid of any real consequence.

I refuse to think that the Russian economic advisors didn't see almost all of this coming. It's the reason Putin spent a month talking to China just before all of this began. As we remove all of the Western institutions from Russian entanglement one by one they will be replaced with bigger and better Chinese institutions. Russia will survive the entire impact of the economic warfare and later on morph into something completely independent of all Western ties. We're actually making them stronger.

Last edited:
No....that's why it's a stupid move...

Its like chopping off your own hand to throw it at somebody. Pure virtue signaling devoid of any real consequence.

I refuse to think that the Russian economic advisors didn't see almost all of this coming. It's the reason Putin spent a month talking to China just before all of this began. As we remove all of the Western institutions from Russian entanglement one by one they will be replaced with bigger and better Chinese institutions. Russia will survive the entire impact of the economic warfare and later on morph into something completely independent of all Western ties. We're actually making them stronger.
all this virtue signaling that in the end, no one but the fucker giving the signal cares about. and they only do cause they think they "gain" from it.

those days are done. we're about to flip quick to the other extreme, as these things do.

all this virtue signaling that in the end, no one but the fucker giving the signal cares about. and they only do cause they think they "gain" from it.

those days are done. we're about to flip quick to the other extreme, as these things do.
I'm sure there are some things that csught Russia by surprise but most of what the West is throwing at them now they were ready for. What would otherwise have taken a decade will now be accomplished in a matter of months as China, Russia, Iran, North Korea and several others erect a monetary system in direct competition with the dollar.

I guess all those russians with a lot of cc debt are relieved.

Thanks for showing you seldom read what I say. I hate the republican party, just that the democrats are even worse.
Republicans want to use financial institutions to steal your money while the Democrats want the Government to rob you blind.

There's no difference between the two...only the methods they use.

This is a corporation war against Russia.
Pure and simple.
Ukraine has a resource that the World Corporations want (it's people) and Russia is destroying them.

But Russia isn't an Empire...it's an Oligarchy with Putin claiming leadership of the Oligarchy. (Tail wagging the Dog)

The Oligarchs are rapidly changing their tune as the EU is seizing their assets and confiscating their bank accounts (even the Swiss ones)

So I don't see this working out for any of them. Especially with the US and EU having a free for all asset grab.

That's gotta be bugging Putin and the Oligarchs.

This is a corporation war against Russia.
Pure and simple.
Ukraine has a resource that the World Corporations want (it's people) and Russia is destroying them.

But Russia isn't an Empire...it's an Oligarchy with Putin claiming leadership of the Oligarchy. (Tail wagging the Dog)

The Oligarchs are rapidly changing their tune as the EU is seizing their assets and confiscating their bank accounts (even the Swiss ones)

So I don't see this working out for any of them. Especially with the US and EU having a free for all asset grab.

That's gotta be bugging Putin and the Oligarchs.
Yeah, what will they do about it?

Yeah, what will they do about it?
Through market manipulation and asset denial they will starve Russia into shirt tail poverty and starvation. All the while they will urge, bribe, and even threaten government leadership to do their bidding.

Through market manipulation and asset denial they will starve Russia into shirt tail poverty and starvation. All the while they will urge, bribe, and even threaten government leadership to do their bidding.
No, what will Russia do about it?

No, what will Russia do about it?
That's a very good question...
One I don't have an answer to.

And it's going to depend on the Oligarchs. Would they rather be the KING of a trash dump instead of a Lord of a fine house?

Some people simply want to be a King...they don't want to be a lord. And don't care about the results or means of getting there.

Cards will continue to work on Russian territory, the bank said, because all payments in Russia are made through a national system and don't depend on foreign systems.
Since 2015, the Russian government has required all domestic payment transactions in the country be processed there. This followed similar suspensions of operations by Visa and Mastercard in Crimea, following its annexation.
Several Russian banks suggested that they would start issuing cards that use the Chinese UnionPay system, coupled with Russia's Mir payment network, to avoid any impact for consumers.

Forum List

Back