Matt Taibbi

Really? So if you tell me you have a right to own a firearm I should dismiss you as someone who thinks they are an attorney?

If SCOTUS deems it a requirement that private companies have to post everything submitted and that asking a company not to post something is illegal, then I will eat crow.

As it is, your arguement is absurd.
It’s called reality.
Everyone I know with one or more firearms has to register with the police.
Any other false equivalents?

I've already answered that for another clueless member. You reading the thread or troll typing as fast as you can?

No. Just at work on my phone but running out of time. Got a solar job to do shortly.

OF COURSE the "censorship hotline" to Twitter and FB and others has been LIVE FOR YEARS. Requests were being made thru GOVT hot lines direct to the top of moderation at those places for the Russia Hoax, the Covid pandemic, and the Hunter Biden story right before the 2020 election.

Ok. So? Not only is that not illegal but it was the Trump administration right before the the election.

Everyone KNEW the govt was involved in speech suppression. Just didn't know HOW ORGANIZED and ENTRENCHED it was thru the Dept of Homeland and other Intel sections of the govt.

Requests are not speech suppression.

Claiming someone can't make a request is actually speech suppression.

And as I just told you -- SCOTUS has ruled in MANY cases that the trigger for YOUR govt to be violating the Constitution -- is "established govt cooperation" in requesting curtailing any Constitutional right,. WHICH WAS and probably STILL is happening at other cooperating media.
Then link me a case counselor.

So don't comment on guns please.

Crap. That request violated your first amendment rights. I could go to jail! Lol
I am not the only one here who think you are a moron.
I am demonstrating that one must consult an expert to know the applicable laws on any given activity and I used gun ownership as an example.

This is an interesting thread.

:eusa_think:

The reaction of the political left, to Musk, Taibbi, and the government's influence over twitter, and by these same folks that have been accusing Trump and the, maybe ill named "alt-right/MAGA folks," for the past six years of laughably being, 'fascists?'

I remember I even had friends, who were inflamed by the mass media rhetoric, who seriously felt it was morally and ethically justified to, "punch a Nazi." I distinctly remember this;

iu

AND NOW? We have folks like Slade, Marener, Catsnmeters, CurriedGoats, etc., who really don't have a clue, what real fascism is. . . . And honestly seem to be A'OK with it. :eusa_think:

73ja6o.jpg
73iges.jpg

To me? I think I can see who the real puppet masters are. We are in some serious trouble folks, and it has nothing to do with partisan politics, it really doesn't.

So Trump's FBI directed them? I don't think "directed" means to force compliance so Trumps administration did nothing illegal.

The FBI can ask Twitter to do anything they want.
No, it can't. They obviously can't ask Twitter to murder you, and they can't ask twitter to do anything that would be a constitutional violation for it to do itself.

You are the one going full Nazi claiming that people can't even ask a company not to post something.

Have you read the first amendment?
We're not just talking about anyone here. We're talking about government agencies that are required to respect the Constitution. Outsourcing their dirty work to third parties doesn't suddenly make it legal.

I am not the only one here who think you are a moron.

I'm not surprised. This site seems to lean heavy toward Trump supporters.

I'm not really into populism though so I have no issue. I don't even mind the insults, as long as the debate also moves forward.

I am demonstrating that one must consult an expert to know the applicable laws on any given activity and I used gun ownership as an example.
Well their is a lot of trump supporters in a lot of threads and this one, speaking on the same topic claiming that Biden committed a criminal act...does your standard for knowledge apply to them as well?

I look forward to seeing you lambasting Trump supporters who act like laywers and opine legal action against Biden...but oddly this would apply to most thread topics in a political forum.

Show your proof of the FBI force. Which posts didn’t the designate to be censored?

If the IRS makes a suggestion it isn’t force. But more context would need to be seen
yeah, it actually is. The taxpayer has every reason to assume that if they don't do what the IRS is suggesting that the IRS will make him pay for it.

yeah, it actually is. The taxpayer has every reason to assume that if they don't do what the IRS is suggesting that the IRS will make him pay for it.
Wonderful, can we get back to this topic? What exactly did the FBI suggest? How did they suggest it? Be specific because right now you’re dancing around and full of shit

No, it can't. They obviously can't ask Twitter to murder you, and they can't ask twitter to do anything that would be a constitutional violation for it to do itself.

Fair point on the murder request but that is requesting something illegal...Twitter posting or not posting something isn't illegal so I would figure the request itself isn't illegal.

We're not just talking about anyone here. We're talking about government agencies that are required to respect the Constitution. Outsourcing their dirty work to third parties doesn't suddenly make it legal.
Again, the government has been requesting media outlets show, post or print things forever. This is no different. They can request something not be posted but not sure the relevance to Biden, it was Trump's FBI that evidently made these requests. He was President until early 2021.

That said, I admit, I can't stand Trump but I support his administrations right to request Twitter to post something or not.

Fair point on the murder request but that is requesting something illegal...Twitter posting or not posting something isn't illegal so I would figure the request itself isn't illegal.
Censorhip isn't legal for the government to do.

Again, the government has been requesting media outlets show, post or print things forever.

What has the government asked media outlets to post or print?

This is no different. They can request something not be posted but not sure the relevance to Biden, it was Trump's FBI that evidently made these requests. He was President until early 2021.
Wrong. Asking a media outlet not to print something is a First Amendment violation, especially when the request is not public.

That said, I admit, I can't stand Trump but I support his administrations right to request Twitter to post something or not.

That is so big of you when Twitter demonstrated no inclination to comply with such requests.

I'm not surprised. This site seems to lean heavy toward Trump supporters.

I'm not really into populism though so I have no issue. I don't even mind the insults, as long as the debate also moves forward.

Well their is a lot of trump supporters in a lot of threads and this one, speaking on the same topic claiming that Biden committed a criminal act...does your standard for knowledge apply to them as well?

I look forward to seeing you lambasting Trump supporters who act like laywers and opine legal action against Biden...but oddly this would apply to most thread topics in a political forum.
I understand why you wouldn’t want Trump; you probably use trespassers to do your work.

Censorhip isn't legal for the government to do.

That is a poor choice of words. The government censors a lot of stuff.

To the point of this thread though, the government asking for something to be posted or not posted violates no laws.

If they try to force the same, then yes, it violates the first amendment.

Also, be careful. Indeependent is not a fan of non-lawyers taking legal stances. You may hear from him/her.

What has the government asked media outlets to post or print?

You ever hear of the FCC?

Wrong. Asking a media outlet not to print something is a First Amendment violation, especially when the request is not public.

No it's not. Asking someone, government or not, is not a first amendment violation. As a matter of fact, I would argue telling someone they are not allowed to ask violates the first amendment...but we have already been through this I think.

That is so big of you when Twitter demonstrated no inclination to comply with such requests.
But the point is the requests were made and both Biden and Trump have/had a right to ask.

You don't have to be an expert on first amendment case law to know Twitter can post and not post whatever they want or that people can make a request for something to be posted or not.

When the government tries to compel by force, Twitter to post or not post something, then I will be right there at your side decrying the abuse of power regardless of what party it is.

Until then, this whole thread is a circle jerk nothingburger full of people who don't understand the first amendment.
I agree.

The same rules apply to Twitter as for rightwing radio and Fox TV, and for Trump’s own “Real Truth” platform.

Trump himself is absolute dictator of “Real Truth” — he doesn’t have to “take orders” from the RNC or anyone else to block whatever he wants. His managers have banished liberals and independents who criticize him.

This Twitter stuff is really all old news. Twitter today is run by “the richest man in the world” Elon Musk, who openly bragged “We will coup whoever we want!” He can legally “censor” or “exile” any piece of news and anyone he wishes from Twitter today, tomorrow or next year.

Sorry folks, but that is just the way it is … and has been for ages. There is a Constitutional right to “free speech” and protection for a “free press” … for those who can afford to own one.

Today these rules apply to large and small “private platforms” in the new media as well, and probably will remain this way for the foreseeable future.

I get it that Trump supporters are pissed off. The Democrats played hardball with them over the Hunter Biden “scandal,” which they expected to use to win a close election. Dems refused to play patsy and let them make hay out of this new scandal as they did with Hillary’s stolen emails. Welcome to hardball American politics — your side plays the same game.

Now Trump supporters and Repubs are stuck in the past, and Trump has ruined his “brand” with his manic talk about “terminating” the Constitution. All the hearings Repubs hold in Congress over Hunter Biden’s laptop and Twitter consulting with the FBI will change nothing, and seem just like more “Benghazi!” posturing.

Ultimately, although I hope the pathetic Hunter Biden gets what’s coming to him, my guess is at very best the only charges to stick will be “tax fraud” and a piddling gun charge.

Nobody knows the future for certain, but Repubs will almost certainly now need to get rid of the Trump albatross to win in 2024. “Trumpism without Trump” [DeSantis] may work, but only if the real Trump doesn’t drag his cult followers (and the whole Republican Party) down the drain with him.

As for Trump’s deluded cult followers who actually dream of “terminating” the Constitution, they are already proto-fascists and seditionists. They will be dealt with mercilessly if they act on their fantasies.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back