Maybe it is the scary looking gun

Maybe we can't see the forest for the trees.

Maybe one of the unfortunate reasons "assault style weapons" are used in many gun violence circumstances is the style. If video games and movies can be blamed for gun violence, why not the 'style' of weaponry? Are violent criminals drawn to the menacing look of these weapons more than the technical aspects of firing systems and round speed and lethality of sporting style weapons? Could similar cultural aspects attract those who watch violent movies and play violent video games to violent looking weapons?

Is it just cooler to carry a gun with a long magazine projecting from it? A gun that's all black and blinded up with military styling?

Gun lovers would agree that other sporting style weapons are just as, or more, deadly? Yet we don't see that many mass shootings committed with those sporting style weapons. If they are just as effective for self defense and a military style weapon, why have the military style weapon around?

As gun violence increased, could a corollary be seen in the increase of popularity of military style weapons, the "scary looking" guns?

I may be wrong, but I never heard this point of view proffered.

I see where you're comming from...but I would argue that the federal ban in 1994 is ...if not the cause...a significant contributing factor.

AR15's were a niche weapon owned by veterans and a limited number of firearm aficionados before the ban.

The ban made them the forbidden fruit.

And those lacking knowledge of firearms, ammunition and balistics assume the government wouldn't ban them simply based on cosmetic characteristic (which is exactly what they did). They assume (wrongly) that they are more dangerous/deadly/reliable than other weapons.

You know Cruz stopped shooting, not because he was stopped by an outside force...but because his rifle jammed. For the uninitiated, this means it either failed to eject a spent cartridge, failed to feed a round, double fed, failed to fire (dud), etc.

Happens all the time when dealing with large magazines...the larger the mag, the more likely a malfunction, because the spring is very, very tight on a full magazine...putting much more pressure on round one and two...and very loose at the end of the magazine.

In fact...one of the first things a new soldier is taught is the acronym SPORTS...when the weapon jams, Slap the magazine, Pull the charging handle, Observe the chamber, Release the charging handle, Tap the forward assist, Squeeze the trigger. It is so ingrained, it springs to mind instantly 20 years since I wore a uniform.

Had Cruz had a weapon he was more familiar with...or one that is more resistant to jamming (I have semi-auto pistols that have NEVER jammed through thousands of rounds)...the death toll could have been much higher. Especially in light of the fact the police were ordered not to enter the school.
Perhaps then if the high capacity magazines are both the least reliable way to shoot and the most aesthetically attractive way to misuse these guns, we could kill two birds (pardon the expression) with one stone and ban them.

FYI a 30 round magazine is not "high capacity" in fact that size magazine can be considered standard for many rifles
Just as the 15 round magazine is standard for many handguns
Could a gun, be it pistol or long gun, be just as effective for sport and defense by way of a five round clip as opposed to a,fifteen round magazine?

When you have to explain this, all hope is lost with them.

Maybe one of the unfortunate reasons "assault style weapons" are used in many gun violence circumstances is the style. If video games and movies can be blamed for gun violence, why not the 'style' of weaponry? Are violent criminals drawn to the menacing look of these weapons more than the technical aspects of firing systems and round speed and lethality of sporting style weapons? Could similar cultural aspects attract those who watch violent movies and play violent video games to violent looking weapons?

Is it just cooler to carry a gun with a long magazine projecting from it? A gun that's all black and blinded up with military styling?

Gun lovers would agree that other sporting style weapons are just as, or more, deadly? Yet we don't see that many mass shootings committed with those sporting style weapons. If they are just as effective for self defense and a military style weapon, why have the military style weapon around?

As gun violence increased, could a corollary be seen in the increase of popularity of military style weapons, the "scary looking" guns?

Why have the military stylist weapon around? Because I want to. That’s really more explanation then is needed.
If the style of the weapon excites and motivates a killer, what makes your desire to have one a valid position? Does your simple sense of aesthetics trump public safety? How much more selfish could you get?

That's bullshit

The AR frame has been the most popular rifle in the US for many years and it's been used in less than 2% of all murders

If the way these guns looked inspired people to kill then there would be millions more people dead

I'll tell you jc456,

The premise of this thread is about the style, the 'scary' look k of these weapons and if that influences mass shooters.

Why would I ask that question? If violent movies and video games can be cited as influencing gun violence, what about the aesthetics of the gun itself? And if it can be shown that the look of the gun is a motivating factor, what practical use is that style? Couldn't guns look more like sporting weapons if only that means someone won't be so horny to shoot up a school, church, night club or concert?

The reason the AR frame rifle is used is because it happens to be the single most popular rifle in the country.

If you ban it then the second most popular semiauto 5.56 rifle will be used instead.

Tell me if red Mustangs were used as getaway cars in more bank robberies than any other car would you want to ban red Mustangs so as to reduce the number of bank robberies?

I see where you're comming from...but I would argue that the federal ban in 1994 is ...if not the cause...a significant contributing factor.

AR15's were a niche weapon owned by veterans and a limited number of firearm aficionados before the ban.

The ban made them the forbidden fruit.

And those lacking knowledge of firearms, ammunition and balistics assume the government wouldn't ban them simply based on cosmetic characteristic (which is exactly what they did). They assume (wrongly) that they are more dangerous/deadly/reliable than other weapons.

You know Cruz stopped shooting, not because he was stopped by an outside force...but because his rifle jammed. For the uninitiated, this means it either failed to eject a spent cartridge, failed to feed a round, double fed, failed to fire (dud), etc.

Happens all the time when dealing with large magazines...the larger the mag, the more likely a malfunction, because the spring is very, very tight on a full magazine...putting much more pressure on round one and two...and very loose at the end of the magazine.

In fact...one of the first things a new soldier is taught is the acronym SPORTS...when the weapon jams, Slap the magazine, Pull the charging handle, Observe the chamber, Release the charging handle, Tap the forward assist, Squeeze the trigger. It is so ingrained, it springs to mind instantly 20 years since I wore a uniform.

Had Cruz had a weapon he was more familiar with...or one that is more resistant to jamming (I have semi-auto pistols that have NEVER jammed through thousands of rounds)...the death toll could have been much higher. Especially in light of the fact the police were ordered not to enter the school.
Perhaps then if the high capacity magazines are both the least reliable way to shoot and the most aesthetically attractive way to misuse these guns, we could kill two birds (pardon the expression) with one stone and ban them.

Again your solution is to punish people who use the weapons properly and responsibly in the vain hope that it will somehow limit a nutjob from going on a spree.

And as usual any proposal by gun control people along these lines will contain a few extra "goodies" to further their desire for a gun free civilian populace.
Could not the same things be said about censoring violent movies and video games? Those are a donvienent whipping boy to blame gun violence. Is it the aesthetic value of military style weapons that makes them so attractive to nutjobs?

I understand and appreciate the argument that guns are fun and customizing guns makes them even more fun. But should they be styled in such a way to make them appear as military weapons or the toys used in games and movies?
Asking should they be styled this way utterly misses the entire problem and places the cart before the horse. The AR may APPEAL to those that want to perpetrate a mass shooting but its appeal factor is utterly irrelevant because it does not make executing that mass shooting more likely. If the only guns that were left were hot pink and covered in floral patterns that is not going to dissuade a mass murderer from going on a killing spree.

Yet again, you are asking a question to seek a specific outcome rather than actually asking that question with the intent of forming real debate or solutions.
Could you dismiss any and all potential effects from video games and movies? If the aesthetics of that media can be blamed, should it be that easy to dismiss a violent looking weapon?
Violent looking?

Weapons are not violent they cannot be violent

You are delusional, an ar15 is just a sporting rifle nothing more nothing less. Only fool like yourself thinks the firearm has anything to with criminal behavior, firearms have zero control over people. We have no criminal control in this country... and an open southern border
Do you place any blame for gun violence on media? Are violent video games and movies culpable?

If so, is it easy to excuse a gun that looks like the ones used in video games and violent movies?
No, Firearms have no control over people
Do movies and video games?
no

You are hell bent on banning something (anything) aren't you?

Why have the military stylist weapon around? Because I want to. That’s really more explanation then is needed.
If the style of the weapon excites and motivates a killer, what makes your desire to have one a valid position? Does your simple sense of aesthetics trump public safety? How much more selfish could you get?

No. Not really. Mostly because it’s a cheap ass vermin blaster that shoots garbage ammunition that will penetrate a hog or similar sized vermin from the back end to the front as well as both sides. It’s also real easy to fix if I break it. Matter of fact, the one I have now was sent to the bottom of the trinity for a day or two and still runs like a top. Honestly, I don’t even like to shoot the noisey piece of crap.
Would it piss you off it it had a wooden stock, no pistol grip, no flash suppressor and a five round clip instead of a twenty round magazine?

I got a five on it with a bullet button now. And trust me, there is nothing on the end of the barrel that suppresses any flash. But na, I could live without it. As for wood, it’s pretty but all but one gun in my house is stocked in synthetic material simply because it won’t rot, wood does. Look at a nice wooden stock with a busted toe and you will see what I mean.

[Q

I have built over 100 AR-15s. I also own a couple of dozen factory ARs.

As a range officer and firearms instructor I help people with their new firearms, including ARs. You would be surprised at the number of guys that have never shot an AR but buy one and take it out to the range and don't how to shoot it or maintain it.

An off the shelf budget AR is may not that reliable, especially with inexpensive ammo.

If you don't know how to clean it and keep it maintained then it is possible to have problems with it

If the receiver and the BCG are not well lubed you are going to have jams with sustained rapid fire and magazine dumps.

Another thing these Moon Bats don't understand. Real life is not Hollywood. It takes training and range time to be effective with an AR with offhand shooting.

The shooter in LV was able to do a lot of damage because of his elevated position shooting down into a crowd of tens of thousands. Sandy Hook and the church shooting in Texas were confined spaces where nobody could escape. Any weapon would have been effective in those situations.

[Q

img_1370-tm-tfb.jpeg

I built one like that for my niece. She loves it.

I'll tell you jc456,

The premise of this thread is about the style, the 'scary' look k of these weapons and if that influences mass shooters.

Why would I ask that question? If violent movies and video games can be cited as influencing gun violence, what about the aesthetics of the gun itself? And if it can be shown that the look of the gun is a motivating factor, what practical use is that style? Couldn't guns look more like sporting weapons if only that means someone won't be so horny to shoot up a school, church, night club or concert?
so you think mass shooters are scared of the weapon, therefore, need to use said weapon to commit mass murder because the gun is scary looking? huh? Because, that's what you just wrote.

You are delusional, an ar15 is just a sporting rifle nothing more nothing less. Only fool like yourself thinks the firearm has anything to with criminal behavior, firearms have zero control over people. We have no criminal control in this country... and an open southern border
Do you place any blame for gun violence on media? Are violent video games and movies culpable?

If so, is it easy to excuse a gun that looks like the ones used in video games and violent movies?
I place gun violence on the parents, the lack of parenting. the leftist removal of corporal punishment from the home and no discipline from a father figure in the home. That's what the statistics will tell you.

Although I do think gun nuts are impressed by the looks, they are deadlier than most other guns. To say they aren'tv is just stupid.

[Q

As a range officer and firearms instructor I help people with their new firearms, including ARs. You would be surprised at the number of guys that have never shot an AR but buy one and take it out to the range and don't how to shoot it or maintain it.

An off the shelf budget AR is may not that reliable, especially with inexpensive ammo.

If you don't know how to clean it and keep it maintained then it is possible to have problems with it

If the receiver and the BCG are not well lubed you are going to have jams with sustained rapid fire and magazine dumps.

Another thing these Moon Bats don't understand. Real life is not Hollywood. It takes training and range time to be effective with an AR with offhand shooting.

The shooter in LV was able to do a lot of damage because of his elevated position shooting down into a crowd of tens of thousands. Sandy Hook and the church shooting in Texas were confined spaces where nobody could escape. Any weapon would have been effective in those situations.

Mine, a Bushi XM-15 has gone over a year shooting Lake City Green tip trash and shoots just fine.

Although I do think gun nuts are impressed by the looks, they are deadlier than most other guns. To say they aren'tv is just stupid.

Show us the science behind that.

[Q

Mine, a Bushi XM-15 has gone over a year shooting Lake City Green tip trash and shoots just fine.

Was that made in the old Bushmaster Windham Maine factory before they sold out? Those were good rifles. I have a couple of them and they are very reliable.

The new ones with the Bushmaster name on them are not so good.

You can buy some pretty shoddy budget ARs nowadays.

No, Firearms have no control over people
Do movies and video games?
no

You are hell bent on banning something (anything) aren't you?
if only it were himself from intelligent discussion.

by what manner is a .223 AR more deadly than:
HECKLER & KOCH MODEL 630 OR HK-630 SEMI-AUTO .223 REM. SPORTING RIFLE WITH SCOPE MOUNT.

No to say that the AR 15 that shoots a 5.56 mm cartridge is more deadly than any other rifle that shoots the same cartridge is stupid

I place gun violence on the parents, the lack of parenting. the leftist removal of corporal punishment from the home and no discipline from a father figure in the home. That's what the statistics will tell you.
[Q

Was that made in the old Bushmaster Windham Maine factory before they sold out? Those were good rifles. I have a couple of them and they are very reliable.

The new ones with the Bushmaster name on them are not so good.

You can buy some pretty shoddy budget ARs nowadays.

Think it was 2011. It’s sloppy, loose and ugly as hell, but it will go round for round next to anything build on a spikes or better lower and has. 2” give or take at a hundred yards. Awesom vermin plaster, truck gun set up with a bullet button and f round mag so I can be bositive it’s legal in hunting season here In Texas.

No to say that the AR 15 that shoots a 5.56 mm cartridge is more deadly than any other rifle that shoots the same cartridge is stupid
They get their information from Hollywood movies made by the child molesting Hollywood types....

[Q

the care and so forth of the AR is why i sold my DPSM and just got an "American" AK47.

Forum List

Back