Maybe it is the scary looking gun

Maybe we can't see the forest for the trees.

Maybe one of the unfortunate reasons "assault style weapons" are used in many gun violence circumstances is the style. If video games and movies can be blamed for gun violence, why not the 'style' of weaponry? Are violent criminals drawn to the menacing look of these weapons more than the technical aspects of firing systems and round speed and lethality of sporting style weapons? Could similar cultural aspects attract those who watch violent movies and play violent video games to violent looking weapons?

Is it just cooler to carry a gun with a long magazine projecting from it? A gun that's all black and blinded up with military styling?

Gun lovers would agree that other sporting style weapons are just as, or more, deadly? Yet we don't see that many mass shootings committed with those sporting style weapons. If they are just as effective for self defense and a military style weapon, why have the military style weapon around?

As gun violence increased, could a corollary be seen in the increase of popularity of military style weapons, the "scary looking" guns?

I may be wrong, but I never heard this point of view proffered.
You are delusional, an ar15 is just a sporting rifle nothing more nothing less. Only fool like yourself thinks the firearm has anything to with criminal behavior, firearms have zero control over people. We have no criminal control in this country... and an open southern border
Do you place any blame for gun violence on media? Are violent video games and movies culpable?

If so, is it easy to excuse a gun that looks like the ones used in video games and violent movies?
I place gun violence on the parents, the lack of parenting. the leftist removal of corporal punishment from the home and no discipline from a father figure in the home. That's what the statistics will tell you.
[Q

Mine, a Bushi XM-15 has gone over a year shooting Lake City Green tip trash and shoots just fine.

Was that made in the old Bushmaster Windham Maine factory before they sold out? Those were good rifles. I have a couple of them and they are very reliable.

The new ones with the Bushmaster name on them are not so good.

You can buy some pretty shoddy budget ARs nowadays.

Think it was 2011. It’s sloppy, loose and ugly as hell, but it will go round for round next to anything build on a spikes or better lower and has. 2” give or take at a hundred yards. Awesom vermin plaster, truck gun set up with a bullet button and f round mag so I can be bositive it’s legal in hunting season here In Texas.

If you bought it in 2011 then it was made at the Bushmaster facility in Windham and it is probably a very good AR.

By the way, the workers at the Windham factory bought the Bushmaster equipment and are making ARs under the name "Windham Weaponry" and they are GTG ARs.

The same group that bought DPMS also bought the Bushmaster name and the rifles that are put out nowadays are not very good.

[Q

the care and so forth of the AR is why i sold my DPSM and just got an "American" AK47.

I use to have several AKs but got rid of them.

They have terrible iron sights and are not good scope platforms.

If I am going to have something to shoot 7.62 X 39 I will go with a VZ-58. Much better rifle.

Maybe one of the unfortunate reasons "assault style weapons" are used in many gun violence circumstances is the style. If video games and movies can be blamed for gun violence, why not the 'style' of weaponry? Are violent criminals drawn to the menacing look of these weapons more than the technical aspects of firing systems and round speed and lethality of sporting style weapons? Could similar cultural aspects attract those who watch violent movies and play violent video games to violent looking weapons?

Is it just cooler to carry a gun with a long magazine projecting from it? A gun that's all black and blinded up with military styling?

Gun lovers would agree that other sporting style weapons are just as, or more, deadly? Yet we don't see that many mass shootings committed with those sporting style weapons. If they are just as effective for self defense and a military style weapon, why have the military style weapon around?

As gun violence increased, could a corollary be seen in the increase of popularity of military style weapons, the "scary looking" guns?

Maybe one of the unfortunate reasons "assault style weapons" are used in many gun violence circumstances is the style.

nope it is because it has been highly over rated by anti gun nutz

the ar is really nothing more then a sooped up 22

sure it can pump out the rounds but then again any semi auto can

most of my rifles are far more deadly then the ar
You're missing the point. If non military style guns are just as, if not more effective, why are the ARs so prevalent?

You're missing a point. AR is not military style gun. It just looks like it is.

Now that we cleared that up, if there are guns just as, if not more effective, why gun grabbers are pursuing to ban ARs? Shouldn't they go after those more effective first?

Maybe one of the unfortunate reasons "assault style weapons" are used in many gun violence circumstances is the style.

You're missing the point. If non military style guns are just as, if not more effective, why are the ARs so prevalent?

Now that we cleared that up, if there are guns just as, if not more effective, why gun grabbers are pursuing to ban ARs? Shouldn't they go after those more effective first?
Lol
Gun grabbers are like cats and laser pointers, Once they get something in their mind there’s no getting rid of it. They’re pretty stupid all around.

A gun that a third grader could point to and say "that's an army gun" and see the difference between Daddy's hunting rifle and a cool looking gun like the movie guy.

It's not that complicated.

Now I understand where the lefties are getting their ideas... from third graders. Their reasoning is also at the same level.

Here is an army gun.

eamgrc.jpg

If the looks are the appeal then you have blasted your own position.

If it is a matter of style and look then banning such things is irrelevant - a mass shooter is not suddenly going drop their plans because the gun does not look right.

How long before lefties start banning gun shaped pop tarts or finger pointing, because it looks like a gun?

Oh, wait...

[Q

the care and so forth of the AR is why i sold my DPSM and just got an "American" AK47.

If I am going to have something to shoot 7.62 X 39 I will go with a VZ-58. Much better rifle.
i'm too lazy to properly care for an AR and don't shoot the AK enough to have it matter on the facts you speak of. :)

Although I do think gun nuts are impressed by the looks, they are deadlier than most other guns. To say they aren'tv is just stupid.

No to say that the AR 15 that shoots a 5.56 mm cartridge is more deadly than any other rifle that shoots the same cartridge is stupid

OK, so if the ability to shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger with a large capacity magazine is as good as a single shot that shoots the same caliper.

You people are sooooooooooooooo smart.

You'll note I have never said military assault weapon in this thread.

I've called them military style weapons.

The premise is the style and its effect on lunatic assailants in this discussion.

I've called them military style weapons.

and you are still willfully ignorant

the military style of the rifle has a select fire

the ones on the store do not

but hey remain ignorant that is your fault and that of no one else
I'd wager BB guns produced in a military style outsell BB guns made to look like a hunting rifle or skeet gun.
and i'd wager if they made it LOOK mean you'd want it banned also.

we have proof.

Shannon Watts Shows Ignorance, Completely Embarrasses Herself with this Tweet - GunsAmerica Digest

a bolt action .22 and she's "up in arms" it exists.
thanks for posting that

i knew the ignorance of is astonishing

but WOW

Typical gun nerd move . Harp on the details in order to nerd bully people with gun minutia.

What is the weapon designed for ? Cause like in this thread, y’all fake spin like an AR is a deer hunting rifle with a scary clip . It is not .

When you mention AR and clip in the same sentence... you might sound like an expert.

I'm afraid you're missing the point.

My argument is that perhaps the very styling of the gun is what makes it more attractive as a weapon with which to commit a gun massacre.

If other weapons are just as effective in terms of rate of fire and lethality of round trajectory, why aren't those weapons used as often as the military style weapons?

If cultural aspects like video games and movies can bear blame, why not cultural aspects like the style of the weapon itself?

It seems that there are unfortunate people much more interested in protecting guns than protecting the public against lunatic gunmen.

[Q

i'm too lazy to properly care for an AR and don't shoot the AK enough to have it matter on the facts you speak of. :)

Understand. Peace Brother.

Although I do think gun nuts are impressed by the looks, they are deadlier than most other guns. To say they aren'tv is just stupid.

No to say that the AR 15 that shoots a 5.56 mm cartridge is more deadly than any other rifle that shoots the same cartridge is stupid

OK, so if the ability to shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger with a large capacity magazine is as good as a single shot that shoots the same caliper.

You people are sooooooooooooooo smart.
then what is your answer?

limit the mag to 10 rounds? make it a fixed mag that can't be swapped out?

great. they have speed loaders that will reload the fixed mag faster than swapping the mag to begin with.

and it's caliber unless you're working on your brakes. it's kinda a good idea to be correct when insulting peoples intelligence.

My argument is that perhaps the very styling of the gun is what makes it more attractive as a weapon with which to commit a gun massacre.

If other weapons are just as effective in terms of rate of fire and lethality of round trajectory, why aren't those weapons used as often as the military style weapons?

If cultural aspects like video games and movies can bear blame, why not cultural aspects like the style of the weapon itself?

It seems that there are unfortunate people much more interested in protecting guns than protecting the public against lunatic gunmen.
no. people get your point.

it will just never fly, this banning a gun on the looks. it just seems you're out to take away the nasty looking gun and demonize the owners vs. understand the actual problem at hand.

tag. you're it.

Last edited:

no. people get your point.

it will just never fly, this banning a gun on the looks. it just seems you're out to take away the nasty looking gun and demonize the owners vs. understand the actual problem at hand.

tag. you're it.
The notion that nothing should be done because nothing is 100% effective is short sighted. The notion that nothing should be done because doing anything could make nconvienence someone who absolutely needs to get a gun today, not later this week betrays an intransigent attitude.

Surely we know that no single effort can be a panacea. Surely we have passed other laws that have never completely prevented the crime they were written to punish. And surely there are solutions to what we all must recognize as our uniquely American obsession with guns NSA and gun violence.

Can the gun lovers pitch in and help divine some answers?

Forum List

Back