Maybe it is the scary looking gun

Maybe we can't see the forest for the trees.

Maybe one of the unfortunate reasons "assault style weapons" are used in many gun violence circumstances is the style. If video games and movies can be blamed for gun violence, why not the 'style' of weaponry? Are violent criminals drawn to the menacing look of these weapons more than the technical aspects of firing systems and round speed and lethality of sporting style weapons? Could similar cultural aspects attract those who watch violent movies and play violent video games to violent looking weapons?

Is it just cooler to carry a gun with a long magazine projecting from it? A gun that's all black and blinded up with military styling?

Gun lovers would agree that other sporting style weapons are just as, or more, deadly? Yet we don't see that many mass shootings committed with those sporting style weapons. If they are just as effective for self defense and a military style weapon, why have the military style weapon around?

As gun violence increased, could a corollary be seen in the increase of popularity of military style weapons, the "scary looking" guns?

I may be wrong, but I never heard this point of view proffered.
One, gun violence has decreased and two, please define military assault weapon. I understand many are confused by appearances.
A gun that a third grader could point to and say "that's an army gun" and see the difference between Daddy's hunting rifle and a cool looking gun like the movie guy.

It's not that complicated.

Maybe one of the unfortunate reasons "assault style weapons" are used in many gun violence circumstances is the style. If video games and movies can be blamed for gun violence, why not the 'style' of weaponry? Are violent criminals drawn to the menacing look of these weapons more than the technical aspects of firing systems and round speed and lethality of sporting style weapons? Could similar cultural aspects attract those who watch violent movies and play violent video games to violent looking weapons?

Is it just cooler to carry a gun with a long magazine projecting from it? A gun that's all black and blinded up with military styling?

Gun lovers would agree that other sporting style weapons are just as, or more, deadly? Yet we don't see that many mass shootings committed with those sporting style weapons. If they are just as effective for self defense and a military style weapon, why have the military style weapon around?

As gun violence increased, could a corollary be seen in the increase of popularity of military style weapons, the "scary looking" guns?

Maybe it's also the Rambo mentality that comes with it - and that invincible feeling of power.

Yeah, I bought mine to go all Rambo on wild hogs. You folks are fucking idiots.

Wild hogs could never be culled by any other weapon? My God! Are wild hogs the Americanelephant, only to be taken with a particular gun. Are they vampires needing special ammunition to drop them?

No other weapon can deliver the fire power necessary to take on a wild hog?

i know people who shoot them with their bows but so what

personally i like to fck up prairie dogs with my ar(s)

although i have been known to evaporate a few with my 308
Smaller critters evaporate with a .223 hollow point, but for hogs I prefer a 300 blackout with a can. Little quieter and more range. Also have gone after coyotes from a heli with a 308. Love living in big sky country.

i love the big sky too

if you dont mind what part of the big sky you living under

i am from South Dakota

Smaller critters evaporate with a .223 hollow point

indeed i was just making a point to the anti

Maybe it's also the Rambo mentality that comes with it - and that invincible feeling of power.

Wild hogs could never be culled by any other weapon? My God! Are wild hogs the Americanelephant, only to be taken with a particular gun. Are they vampires needing special ammunition to drop them?

Can you kill prairie dogs with any other gun, or is the AR just so cool you couldn't

One, gun violence has decreased and two, please define military assault weapon. I understand many are confused by appearances.
A gun that a third grader could point to and say "that's an army gun" and see the difference between Daddy's hunting rifle and a cool looking gun like the movie guy.

how about this one

this is an "army gun"

M870-Mk.1-left-1.png

if by now if anyone is calling an ar a military assault weapon they are either willfully ignorant or simply incapable of learning
You'll note I have never said military assault weapon in this thread.

I've called them military style weapons.

The premise is the style and its effect on lunatic assailants in this discussion.

Can you kill prairie dogs with any other gun, or is the AR just so cool you couldn't

can you at least try and make sense

Clearly you know nothing about wild hogs, they travel in big herds, a neighbor caught 35 in one frame of a game camera and they tear the hell out of the ground everywhere they go. They are one of the few animals you can use a high capacity magazine on.

if by now if anyone is calling an ar a military assault weapon they are either willfully ignorant or simply incapable of learning

The premise is the style and its effect on lunatic assailants in this discussion.

and you are still willfully ignorant

the military style of the rifle has a select fire

the ones on the store do not

but hey remain ignorant that is your fault and that of no one else

So you want to rely on children and their opinions to create law. Sigh...

Try again kid.

I see where you're comming from...but I would argue that the federal ban in 1994 is ...if not the cause...a significant contributing factor.

AR15's were a niche weapon owned by veterans and a limited number of firearm aficionados before the ban.

The ban made them the forbidden fruit.

And those lacking knowledge of firearms, ammunition and balistics assume the government wouldn't ban them simply based on cosmetic characteristic (which is exactly what they did). They assume (wrongly) that they are more dangerous/deadly/reliable than other weapons.

You know Cruz stopped shooting, not because he was stopped by an outside force...but because his rifle jammed. For the uninitiated, this means it either failed to eject a spent cartridge, failed to feed a round, double fed, failed to fire (dud), etc.

Happens all the time when dealing with large magazines...the larger the mag, the more likely a malfunction, because the spring is very, very tight on a full magazine...putting much more pressure on round one and two...and very loose at the end of the magazine.

In fact...one of the first things a new soldier is taught is the acronym SPORTS...when the weapon jams, Slap the magazine, Pull the charging handle, Observe the chamber, Release the charging handle, Tap the forward assist, Squeeze the trigger. It is so ingrained, it springs to mind instantly 20 years since I wore a uniform.

Had Cruz had a weapon he was more familiar with...or one that is more resistant to jamming (I have semi-auto pistols that have NEVER jammed through thousands of rounds)...the death toll could have been much higher. Especially in light of the fact the police were ordered not to enter the school.
Perhaps then if the high capacity magazines are both the least reliable way to shoot and the most aesthetically attractive way to misuse these guns, we could kill two birds (pardon the expression) with one stone and ban them.

He used ten round magazines.
The functional problem with magazines has been explained. Are they too impractical, yet seductive to the frazzled mind to be on the market?

I'd wager BB guns produced in a military style outsell BB guns made to look like a hunting rifle or skeet gun.

Perhaps then if the high capacity magazines are both the least reliable way to shoot and the most aesthetically attractive way to misuse these guns, we could kill two birds (pardon the expression) with one stone and ban them.

The large capacity magazines are the least reliable...for people unfamiliar with their use. there are ways to make them much more reliable, but non-gun people just don't know them. They think guns are magic.

But...I'll play devil's advocate.

In all honesty, if I thought it would help, I'd be all for it. but the fact is...10 or 20 or 30...it's just a matter of convenience, not deadliness, when facing no armed resistance.

There is just so much to know about firearms and ammunition and what works and what doesn't, and what can be done, and what can't...it's too much to share in a post...and I doubt if it is a good idea to share them.

Suffice it to say that because of the Geneva Conventions prohibition on expanding bullets...and most folks inexperience with high-cap magazines and clearing jammed weapons...a shooter choosing an AR15 at close range may actually be the best outcome.

So you want to rely on children and their opinions to create law. Sigh...

Try again kid.
Commonality. Recognizability. Common consent.

Or are military style weapons just that cool?

Thanks for making my point.

I see where you're comming from...but I would argue that the federal ban in 1994 is ...if not the cause...a significant contributing factor.

AR15's were a niche weapon owned by veterans and a limited number of firearm aficionados before the ban.

And those lacking knowledge of firearms, ammunition and balistics assume the government wouldn't ban them simply based on cosmetic characteristic (which is exactly what they did). They assume (wrongly) that they are more dangerous/deadly/reliable than other weapons.

You know Cruz stopped shooting, not because he was stopped by an outside force...but because his rifle jammed. For the uninitiated, this means it either failed to eject a spent cartridge, failed to feed a round, double fed, failed to fire (dud), etc.

Happens all the time when dealing with large magazines...the larger the mag, the more likely a malfunction, because the spring is very, very tight on a full magazine...putting much more pressure on round one and two...and very loose at the end of the magazine.

In fact...one of the first things a new soldier is taught is the acronym SPORTS...when the weapon jams, Slap the magazine, Pull the charging handle, Observe the chamber, Release the charging handle, Tap the forward assist, Squeeze the trigger. It is so ingrained, it springs to mind instantly 20 years since I wore a uniform.

Had Cruz had a weapon he was more familiar with...or one that is more resistant to jamming (I have semi-auto pistols that have NEVER jammed through thousands of rounds)...the death toll could have been much higher. Especially in light of the fact the police were ordered not to enter the school.

The functional problem with magazines has been explained. Are they too impractical, yet seductive to the frazzled mind to be on the market?
I am thoroughly convinced you should not own one, but I will not trash the rights of law abiding citizens to prevent you and the other poorly informed people operating from fear, to own one if you meet the qualifications.

I'd wager BB guns produced in a military style outsell BB guns made to look like a hunting rifle or skeet gun.

again you would be ignorant

best selling bb guns

next time try a google search before you make a fool of yourself

• Daisy Powerline 340 BB Repeater Pistol. ...
  • Smith & Wesson M&P Airgun (Medium) ...
  • Crosman Vigilante CO2 Caliber .177 Pellet & BB… ...
  • Crosman American Classic Pump Pellet 177… ...
  • Crosman Vigilante 357 Co2 Air Pistol Kit with… ...
  • Benjamin Trail NP Break Barrel Air Pistol (.177) ...
  • Crosman SNR357 (black/Grey)

Screw you and your bans, it didn't help in the 90s it wouldn't help now.

Screw you and your bans, it didn't help in the 90s it wouldn't help now.

magazine size does not matter when the only shooter is the bad guy

and the cops wait outside for 10 minutes before going in

You're missing the point. If non military style guns are just as, if not more effective, why are the ARs so prevalent?

I've explained this in the past.

"Accurate at long distance, modular construction, easily repaired and upgraded to personal preferences, millions of veterans have hundreds of hours of training with them, length of pull is customizable without permanently altering the weapon (my wife is 5'2" and I am 6 foot, but we can still use the same AR15 with an adjustable stock), it is capable of hunting and self defense rolls, the ammo is inexpensive, and if everything went to shit, it's the very first weapon I'd want to have."

There is more to this if you want to read it. Why does someone want an AR-15.

Hell, I'm going to build one...maybe two...from scratch, just the way I want them...customized to my preference, in my own home...no gunsmith required.

20180310_024040.jpg

I cannot think of another firearm where I could just purchase the receiver of my choice at a reasonable price...not a full firearm and customize it by replacing parts, but just the receiver, and have a huge selections of parts to choose from to assemble a custom firearm at home with minimal tools. The top lower receiver was $40, the bottom was $30...thru my local FFL with background check.. Technically, you are looking at what the ATF considers the firearm...both have a serial number on the other side.

The top lower receiver is going to be a 300 AAC chambered hunting rifle, and the bottom will likely be a dedicated 22LR for cheap target shooting (my wife confiscated my Ruger 10/22 for herself).

Last edited:
Your argument would seem to be ... Style over Substance ...

S-circle.png

we don't see that many mass shootings committed with those sporting style

The common thread to these shootings isn't the weapon ... which are handguns more than 2 to 1. The common thread is the state of mental health of the shooter ... which is always crazy as an outhouse rat.

Don't forget the liberal environment, only single moms and public schools can foster such behavior, combined with a good bit of complete negligence.

Forum List

Back