McCain: "Dictators Start By Suppressing Media"

McCain On Trump Declaring The Media An Enemy: "That's How Dictators Get Started"

Republican Senator Arizona Senator told NBC News in a clip released Saturday (above) that President Donald Trump's most recent attack on the media is an example of "how dictators get started."

Chuck Todd, host of "Meet the Press," asked McCain about Trump's tweet Friday, in which the president declared that the media is "the enemy of the American people."

"If you want to preserve Democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and many times adversarial press, and without it I'm afraid we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started," McCain responded.

"They get started by suppressing a free press," he added. "In other words, a consolidation of power, when you look at history, the first thing that dictators do, is shut down the press. I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."

McCain On Trump Declaring The Media An Enemy: "That's How Dictators Get Started"

Amen, John! The problem is - Trump doesn't know anything about history. He may not even know how Hitler started. It's scary...
Obamas gone....

John McCain's always been on the right side as regards media consolidation. He understands why it's vital.

Sure is fascinating that some wags get so emotionally pied-pipered that they want that kind of value to "jump on a grenade" or be on the business end of a "public hanging". Says a lot.

John McCain's always been on the right side as regards media consolidation. He understands why it's vital.

Sure is fascinating that some wags get so emotionally pied-pipered that they want that kind of value to "jump on a grenade".
You have no idea what you're talking about as your continued predilection for irrelevancy demonstrates.

Sure is fascinating that some wags get so emotionally pied-pipered that they want that kind of value to "jump on a grenade".
You have no idea what you're talking about as your continued predilection for irrelevancy demonstrates.

Oh but I do. You see my whole career (you'll have to look up 'career') has been in media and I've watched closely when Corporatia has tried to take it over, sometimes with success, sometimes not. And John McCain has been reliably there standing in their way. and taking the side of the people. That's not forgotten. Unlike scumfucks like you, some of us understand why discourse is crucial to democracy.

rubio.jpg

Republican Senator Arizona Senator told NBC News in a clip released Saturday (above) that President Donald Trump's most recent attack on the media is an example of "how dictators get started."

Chuck Todd, host of "Meet the Press," asked McCain about Trump's tweet Friday, in which the president declared that the media is "the enemy of the American people."

"If you want to preserve Democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and many times adversarial press, and without it I'm afraid we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started," McCain responded.

"They get started by suppressing a free press," he added. "In other words, a consolidation of power, when you look at history, the first thing that dictators do, is shut down the press. I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."

Amen, John! The problem is - Trump doesn't know anything about history. He may not even know how Hitler started. It's scary...
Just think back in 2007 Mccain was the npoint out who the new boogeyman for the left. It would be awesome if you idiots did what you say others should do, read and understand history.

Where and how is attacking the media = suppressing it? A wannabe dictator intent on suppressing the media would seek to resurrect antiquated Fairness Doctrine or conjure up the need for net neutrality.

A dictator would send a couple dozen hooligans into the NYTimes with ax handles and come out covered in leftist brains. Hmmmmm....I'm enjoying the thought of that. :lol:

McCain is 100% correct.
Every time, the press has been attacked and called dishonest, it has been a tyrant leader who lead the charge.
Like other tyrant wanna bes, Trump can't prove his multiple charges, but the media has used Trump's quotes against him to prove he has lied.
Lastly, Trump has never sacrificed for his country, he has no idea what sacrifice is. You can't say that about McCain. Have any of you sacrificed for for your country? Have any of you gone through torture that effected the rest of your life?
But go ahead, defend a documented liar. Go ahead, defend someone who has never, ever sacrificed for his country.

I suppose you don't have what we call an "answer" huh?
That's fine. It wasn't your question, Dippy.

I've heard of Jim David Adkisson. That close enough?
Then you have no idea of the plank in your own eye.

Go fish.

McCain is 100% correct.
Every time, the press has been attacked and called dishonest, it has been a tyrant leader who lead the charge.
Like other tyrant wanna bes, Trump can't prove his multiple charges, but the media has used Trump's quotes against him to prove he has lied.
Lastly, Trump has never sacrificed for his country, he has no idea what sacrifice is. You can't say that about McCain. Have any of you sacrificed for for your country? Have any of you gone through torture that effected the rest of your life?
But go ahead, defend a documented liar. Go ahead, defend someone who has never, ever sacrificed for his country.

McCain was a glory hound who got his commission because his old man was the head of the US Pacific Command. He bounced a few fast-movers before the dinks got him with a lucky shot. I have nothing but respect for his courage but he wasn't much of a pilot. When he was taken he was bayoneted in the foot and groin and his arms were broken. He could have gone home with the first POW release but didn't....again, kudos for that. When he got home and healed up, he ditched the wife who'd stuck with him through the whole ordeal and married a liquor baron's daughter. Loyalty ain't his long suit. And when he ran for president there was a time he flew coach by himself to appear at town halls. He's a determined and fairly honest man but he hates Trump and is saying scurrilous things about the president of the United States and this time he did it on foreign soil....that's not cool.

Last edited:
McCain is 100% correct.

McCain was a glory hound who got his commission because his old man was the head of the US Pacific Command. He bounced a few fast-movers before the dinks got him with a lucky shot. I have nothing but respect for his courage but he wasn't much of a pilot. When he was taken he was bayoneted in the foot and groin and his arms were broken. He could have gone home with the first POW release but didn't....again, kudos for that. When he got home and healed up, he ditched the wife who'd stuck with him through the whole ordeal and married a liquor baron's daughter. Loyalty ain't his long suit. And when he ran for president there was a time he flew coach by himself to appear at town halls. He's a determined and fairly honest man but he hates Trump and is saying scurrilous things about the president of the Unite States and this time he did it on foreign soil....that's not cool.

Please, go on. What are these "scurrilous things"?

McCain is 100% correct.

Or for that matter, taken any kind of responsibility for anything in his worthless life.

Trump should spy on the media like Obama rather than debate them in open public for all to witness.

Forum List

Back