McCain: Shouting 'Allahu Akhbar!' Same as Christians Shouting 'Thank God!'

I'm pretty sure you have to be uninformed if you dont get that in this instance McCain is right. What was the guy supposed to say? Right on or hell yeah? Its a common phrase used in joy and in sorrow. The phrase is not restricted to use by terrorists.

Last edited:
There's nothing dishonest about it. We are absolutely enabling militant Islamists overthrow Assad.

The FSA has some Islamist factions, but are largely secular in their overarching political ideology.

Al Nusra and the ISI(S), the two Al Qaeda linked groups also aren't part of the "rebel"s that we would be supporting.

Painting intervention in Syria as supporting Al Qaeda is dishonest, and completely ignores very real divides among Syrian opposition groups.

This isn't a two faction conflict.
No matter how you want to slice it, it's muslims killing muslims, and we ought to let them do it until there isn't one left standing. History has taught us that intervening and trying to help is a pointless, costly endeavor.

Next posters are going to suggest that terrorists are the only ones who use the phrase "Inshallah" too.

Radical islam and america's evangelicals are pretty much the same.

More like... "radical islam and America's racist asshole blacks like you are pretty much the same."

Right. Because bringing skin color into this makes sense. . . :doubt:
Right, because obviously you have zero clue why I said that to black_label.

Maybe if you stick around long enough and wear off some cherry, you'll understand, and not look so ignorant before you speak.

There are maniacs in Washington running the country. Truly insane men. You can't make this shit up. :lol:

And for anyone who doesn't like my Brietbart source, go to Fox then and see for yourself or fox off.

On Tuesday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) suggested that Fox News host Brian Kilmeade was Islamaphobic because he said that Syrian opposition groups shouting “Allahu Akhbar! Allahu Akhbar!” as rockets hit government offices demonstrated Islamist influence among the opposition.

“I have a problem helping those people screaming that after a hit,” Kilmeade said.

McCain responded: “Would you have a problem with an American or Christians saying ‘thank God? Thank God?’”

He added, “That’s what they’re saying. Come on!

Of course they’re Muslims, but they’re moderates and I guarantee you they are moderates.”

Aye carumba! Oh of course McCain, every Baptist, Mormon, Anglican or Catholic screams "Praise the Lord and Thank God" as we are blowing up buildings or cutting someone's head off.

Yeah, yeah that's the ticket John.

He's right though. It is a pretty common saying sort of like many of us (even those who are non-religious) may use the exclamatory phrase "oh my god" "Thank god" "Jesus Christ" or "holy cow".

It's part of the common vernacular of society. It is also worth noting that it doesn't always express "joy" either.

The discussion was about the use of "Allahua Akhbar" while blowing up Syrian government buildings.

This was not a discussion about faith in general.

No matter how you want to slice it, it's muslims killing muslims, and we ought to let them do it until there isn't one left standing. History has taught us that intervening and trying to help is a pointless, costly endeavor.

No thanks. I'm not really in the business of dehumanizing another human being simply based on their nationality, geographic region of current location, or religious beliefs.

More like... "radical islam and America's racist asshole blacks like you are pretty much the same."

Maybe if you stick around long enough and wear off some cherry, you'll understand, and not look so ignorant before you speak.

I don't think that any amount of time spent on this forum will in any way make race relevant to your previous post.

There's nothing dishonest about it. We are absolutely enabling militant Islamists overthrow Assad.

The FSA has some Islamist factions, but are largely secular in their overarching political ideology.

Al Nusra and the ISI(S), the two Al Qaeda linked groups also aren't part of the "rebel"s that we would be supporting.

Painting intervention in Syria as supporting Al Qaeda is dishonest, and completely ignores very real divides among Syrian opposition groups.

Do you have a roster that you can pass out to us since you seem to know who all the players are here ?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/04/11/syria-al-qaeda-connection/2075323/

http://newmediajournal.us/indx.php/item/2911

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/w...play-key-role-in-war.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/10/opinion/bergen-al-qaeda-syria

http://www.policymic.com/articles/4...intelligence-briefing-on-the-assad-resistance

Last edited:
There are maniacs in Washington running the country. Truly insane men. You can't make this shit up. :lol:

And for anyone who doesn't like my Brietbart source, go to Fox then and see for yourself or fox off.

On Tuesday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) suggested that Fox News host Brian Kilmeade was Islamaphobic because he said that Syrian opposition groups shouting “Allahu Akhbar! Allahu Akhbar!” as rockets hit government offices demonstrated Islamist influence among the opposition.

“I have a problem helping those people screaming that after a hit,” Kilmeade said.

McCain responded: “Would you have a problem with an American or Christians saying ‘thank God? Thank God?’”

He added, “That’s what they’re saying. Come on!

Of course they’re Muslims, but they’re moderates and I guarantee you they are moderates.”

Aye carumba! Oh of course McCain, every Baptist, Mormon, Anglican or Catholic screams "Praise the Lord and Thank God" as we are blowing up buildings or cutting someone's head off.

Yeah, yeah that's the ticket John.

He's right though. It is a pretty common saying sort of like many of us (even those who are non-religious) may use the exclamatory phrase "oh my god" "Thank god" "Jesus Christ" or "holy cow".

It's part of the common vernacular of society. It is also worth noting that it doesn't always express "joy" either.

The discussion was about the use of "Allahua Akhbar" while blowing up Syrian government buildings.

This was not a discussion about faith in general.

It doesn't have to be a discussion about faith in general nor was I trying to make it one. It is a discussion about common vernacular terms derived from the traditional faiths of various cultures / regions. We use religiously inspired vernaculars all of the time, and so it shouldn't be a surprise when other people in other parts of the world do as well.

I don't think that any amount of time spent on this forum will in any way make race relevant to your previous post.

In fact, you're not thinking at all. Whatever land of lolipops and rainbows you think this board is, you're grossly mistaken.

Wise up, dingbat.

"Allahu Akbar" is as generic as and exasperated person yelling "Jesus Christ!"

For as long as I worked with Muslims, I don't ever remember one yelling "Allahu Akbar". Definately not as much as I remember Christians and non-Christians yelling "Jesus Christ".

The only time I have heard "Allah Akbar" used is by those who have just killed or was getting ready to kill other humans they disagreed with ... Such as the Terrorists on 9-11, the Fort Hood shootings, the beheading of Daniel Pearl, the beheading of the soldier in London, etc.

Perhaps one of you who agree with McCain can source some linked articles supporting your position?

Do you have a roster that you can pass out to us since you seem to know who all the players are here ?

Syrian rebels pledge loyalty to al-Qaeda

Al-Qaeda Joins the Syrian Rebellion

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/w...play-key-role-in-war.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Sure, I'd point to the Institute for the Study of War and to West Point's Combating Terrorism Center.

This has never been a two faction conflict and it is silly for us to treat it as one.

Nice to see somebody here that actually knows about what reality is. I've long believed that a major American propagand campaign has been to convince American's that so called affiliates of al Qaeda are the same as al Qaeda so they can go after the Jihadist in general. The American public supports going after al Qaeda, but might not support going after groups with different goals and only a very loose connection to al Qaeda.

In fact, you're not thinking at all. Whatever land of lolipops and rainbows you think this board is, you're grossly mistaken.

Wise up, dingbat.

This forum doesn't need to be a land of rainbows and lollipops in order for one to find bigotry distasteful there sport. ;)

No thanks. I'm not really in the business of dehumanizing another human being simply based on their nationality, geographic region of current location, or religious beliefs.

I am...

"Allahu Akbar" is as generic as and exasperated person yelling "Jesus Christ!"

For as long as I worked with Muslims, I don't ever remember one yelling "Allahu Akbar". Definately not as much as I remember Christians and non-Christians yelling "Jesus Christ".

The only time I have heard "Allah Akbar" used is by those who have just killed or was getting ready to kill other humans they disagreed with ... Such as the Terrorists on 9-11, the Fort Hood shootings, the beheading of Daniel Pearl, the beheading of the soldier in London, etc.

Perhaps one of you who agree with McCain can source some linked articles supporting your position?

I live a house over from a Muslim. You should ask the ones you work with. They may not say it around you because it might be misinterpreted.

Allahu Akbar (disambiguation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice to see somebody here that actually knows about what reality is. I've long believed that a major American propagand campaign has been to convince American's that so called affiliates of al Qaeda are the same as al Qaeda so they can go after the Jihadist in general. The American public supports going after al Qaeda, but might not support going after groups with different goals and only a very loose connection to al Qaeda.

and which propaganda campaign might that be ?

Forum List

Back