McCain would be the perfect president.

I disagree ... short of just sending out relief checks ... which would flat out piss the right off ... it is the most practical short term solution there is ... inflate and slow down on the roads ... people are hurting now ... drilling wont help us now ... it will help us down the road ... admittedly, Obama has had to change his position on drilling ... and is that such a bad thing ... I don't think so ... drilling will help us wean off the foreign crack down the road until we get on some better stuff and can make some major infastructure changes ... so you can knock him if you want but I'd like to hear your "help us NOW" solution to the pressure at the pump.
http://kingston.house.gov/news/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=98575
In a letter to Congressman Jack Kingston (R/GA-1), the Energy Information Administration estimated the impact of producing American-made energy in a 2,000 acres section of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) would reduce the price of oil by $20 per barrel.

Here's some immediate relief...

http://theheritagefoundry.org/2008/07/01/drilling-now-can-lower-oil-prices-today/
Current Harvard economics professor and former chief economic adviser to President Ronald Reagan Martin Feldstein explains in the Wall Street Journal how announcing that the U.S. will allow oil development on currently banned lands, could lower oil prices right now:

The relationship between future and current oil prices implies that an expected change in the future price of oil will have an immediate impact on the current price of oil.

Thus, when oil producers concluded that the demand for oil in China and some other countries will grow more rapidly in future years than they had previously expected, they inferred that the future price of oil would be higher than they had previously believed. They responded by reducing supply and raising the spot price enough to bring the expected price rise back to its initial rate.

Hence, with no change in the current demand for oil, the expectation of a greater future demand and a higher future price caused the current price to rise. Similarly, credible reports about the future decline of oil production in Russia and in Mexico implied a higher future global price of oil – and that also required an increase in the current oil price to maintain the initial expected rate of increase in the price of oil.

Once this relation is understood, it is easy to see how news stories, rumors and industry reports can cause substantial fluctuations in current prices – all without anything happening to current demand or supply.
…
Now here is the good news. Any policy that causes the expected future oil price to fall can cause the current price to fall, or to rise less than it would otherwise do. In other words, it is possible to bring down today’s price of oil with policies that will have their physical impact on oil demand or supply only in the future.

For example, increases in government subsidies to develop technology that will make future cars more efficient, or tighter standards that gradually improve the gas mileage of the stock of cars, would lower the future demand for oil and therefore the price of oil today.

Similarly, increasing the expected future supply of oil would also reduce today’s price. That fall in the current price would induce an immediate rise in oil consumption that would be matched by an increase in supply from the OPEC producers and others with some current excess capacity or available inventories.

Any steps that can be taken now to increase the future supply of oil, or reduce the future demand for oil in the U.S. or elsewhere, can therefore lead both to lower prices and increased consumption today.

I disagree ... short of just sending out relief checks ... which would flat out piss the right off ... it is the most practical short term solution there is ... inflate and slow down on the roads ... people are hurting now ... drilling wont help us now ... it will help us down the road ... admittedly, Obama has had to change his position on drilling ... and is that such a bad thing ... I don't think so ... drilling will help us wean off the foreign crack down the road until we get on some better stuff and can make some major infastructure changes ... so you can knock him if you want but I'd like to hear your "help us NOW" solution to the pressure at the pump.

i say drill our own oil.

slow down the roads? yes lets go back in time.

the "help us now solution" is, earn your own money. the lazy not working folk do not deserve half my paycheck.

I do not need to predict anything to know what the effects of Obamas Tax policies and spending programs will be Midcan5. If you were not a completely partisan Liberal Democrat you would know that.

And if you weren't born yesterday you'd realize the same dire BS was predicted when Clinton raised taxes on the rich! Supply side, aka voodoo economics, doesn't work plain and simple unless we want to become a third world nation that is.

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth

millions of people? i've yet to meet someone who actually checked their tire pressure after his genius remark.

conservation? kirk, did you sell your car and start riding your bicycle?

Yes, millions of people.

The price of gas is going down because of conservation. Obama's ideas are already reducing the cost of gas.

Representative Jack Kingston
In a letter to Congressman Jack Kingston (R/GA-1), the Energy Information Administration estimated the impact of producing American-made energy in a 2,000 acres section of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) would reduce the price of oil by $20 per barrel.

Which is great ... I'm all for it ... but it doesn't help us now.

Here's some immediate relief...

Drilling Now Can Lower Oil Prices Today The Foundry
Current Harvard economics professor and former chief economic adviser to President Ronald Reagan Martin Feldstein explains in the Wall Street Journal how announcing that the U.S. will allow oil development on currently banned lands, could lower oil prices right now:

The relationship between future and current oil prices implies that an expected change in the future price of oil will have an immediate impact on the current price of oil.

Thus, when oil producers concluded that the demand for oil in China and some other countries will grow more rapidly in future years than they had previously expected, they inferred that the future price of oil would be higher than they had previously believed. They responded by reducing supply and raising the spot price enough to bring the expected price rise back to its initial rate.

Hence, with no change in the current demand for oil, the expectation of a greater future demand and a higher future price caused the current price to rise. Similarly, credible reports about the future decline of oil production in Russia and in Mexico implied a higher future global price of oil – and that also required an increase in the current oil price to maintain the initial expected rate of increase in the price of oil.

Once this relation is understood, it is easy to see how news stories, rumors and industry reports can cause substantial fluctuations in current prices – all without anything happening to current demand or supply.
…
Now here is the good news. Any policy that causes the expected future oil price to fall can cause the current price to fall, or to rise less than it would otherwise do. In other words, it is possible to bring down today’s price of oil with policies that will have their physical impact on oil demand or supply only in the future.

For example, increases in government subsidies to develop technology that will make future cars more efficient, or tighter standards that gradually improve the gas mileage of the stock of cars, would lower the future demand for oil and therefore the price of oil today.

Similarly, increasing the expected future supply of oil would also reduce today’s price. That fall in the current price would induce an immediate rise in oil consumption that would be matched by an increase in supply from the OPEC producers and others with some current excess capacity or available inventories.

Any steps that can be taken now to increase the future supply of oil, or reduce the future demand for oil in the U.S. or elsewhere, can therefore lead both to lower prices and increased consumption today.

It's likely that the market would react by a drop in prices upon announcement of opening up drilling ... but I'm not convinced that it would be sustainable ... there would be no change to the supply until that new oil comes online ... so who's to say after the initial drop from the announcement prices wouldn't go back up ... don't get me wrong, I'm willing to give it a whirl ... but again, I see conservation as the surest thing to cut costs for the individual consumer.

Yes, millions of people.

The price of gas is going down because of conservation. Obama's ideas are already reducing the cost of gas.

gas prices are being reduced because the middle east is afraid we are going to drill our own oil. the middle east didn't reduce the cost because you and midcan5 decided to inflate your tires.

you should really do the math before you buy into something.

gas prices are being reduced because the middle east is afraid we are going to drill our own oil. the middle east didn't reduce the cost because you and midcan5 decided to inflate your tires.

you should really do the math before you buy into something.

Ew!!! They are sooo scared. Prices went down because it only takes a couple pennies off gas to make retards like you happy. That's why gas will be $5 a gallon and finally settle at $4.50, and you will love that price!!!!

Obama is going to release the strategic petroleum reserve when he is president. That will lower gas prices $1 a gallon right away. If not, the oil companies won't sell gas to America for about 60 days. But relax, because they will for sure lower their prices to match Obama's prices. They can't go 60 days without selling gas.

Only one problem. You dumb asses will somehow be convinced to vote for the enemy, because you are dumb.

Ew!!! They are sooo scared. Prices went down because it only takes a couple pennies off gas to make retards like you happy. That's why gas will be $5 a gallon and finally settle at $4.50, and you will love that price!!!!

Obama is going to release the strategic petroleum reserve when he is president. That will lower gas prices $1 a gallon right away. If not, the oil companies won't sell gas to America for about 60 days. But relax, because they will for sure lower their prices to match Obama's prices. They can't go 60 days without selling gas.

Only one problem. You dumb asses will somehow be convinced to vote for the enemy, because you are dumb.

i care about gas prices for the good of the country. personally, i make enough money to pay for $10/gallon gas. so i really don't think any of what you just said applies to me. i really don't appreciate you calling me a "dumb ass" or a "retard" when you know nothing about me. maybe you are the "dumb ass" or "retard" for not finding more intelligent or mature words to use.

Last edited:
mcain will be a good president. none of these obama supporters know a thing about him, as nobody else does either. and what we do know is scary.

Which is great ... I'm all for it ... but it doesn't help us now.

It's likely that the market would react by a drop in prices upon announcement of opening up drilling ... but I'm not convinced that it would be sustainable ... there would be no change to the supply until that new oil comes online ... so who's to say after the initial drop from the announcement prices wouldn't go back up ... don't get me wrong, I'm willing to give it a whirl ... but again, I see conservation as the surest thing to cut costs for the individual consumer.

Sure prices could go back up and they probably would, it's called inflation. But the prices wouldn't be as high as they would be if there was no new drilling. I'm not against conservation either....

obama wants to rid us of the need for oil in 10 years? pretty sure there are a million different products that are made from oil. asphalt just to name one, and we cant drive our hybrids w/ over-inflated tires if we dont have any highways... obama is pipe-dreaming as are his supporters on every issue not to mention we know NOTHING about this guy.

Obama's a fruitcake. He has his own agenda, and he's just playing games until he can (he wishes) win the presidency. Once there, he'll try to do exactly what he wants...which has nothing to do with any of his campaign rhetoric.

Sure prices could go back up and they probably would, it's called inflation. But the prices wouldn't be as high as they would be if there was no new drilling. I'm not against conservation either....

It sounds like we aren't too far apart on this issue ... more a difference of impact as opposed to what needs to be done ... I'd be willing to bet that's the case with most in this debate ... unfortunately, hyper-partisanship and noise making keeps many from realizing this.

mcain will be a good president. none of these obama supporters know a thing about him, as nobody else does either. and what we do know is scary.

none of the barack hussein obama supporters know anything about barack hussein obama himself. they probably know more about john mccain then barack hussein obama. i never thought the words "change" and "hope" could take someone so far as barack hussein obama in a presidential election.

none of the barack hussein obama supporters know anything about barack hussein obama himself. they probably know more about john mccain then barack hussein obama. i never thought the words "change" and "hope" could take someone so far as barack hussein obama in a presidential election.

You might want to us capital letters at the beginning of sentences.

There's a great book called "The Elements of Style." You can pick it up at this link....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1594200696/satisfaction1-20[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back