McConnell Filibustered VA Funding

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
For those of you who don't believe...

Republicans don’t really care about veterans or the VA, they just care about using this controversy to discredit the President and his Democratic Party - there is an election coming up, after all - and as a twofer, discredit the idea of government-run healthcare programs like the VA. John McCain has even called for the VA to be privatized. The hypocrisy here is astounding.

Remember, it was just a little under three months ago that Senate Republicans under the leadership of Mitch McConnell filibustered a bill that would have boosted VA funding by $21 billion, expanded benefits, and repealed a provision of the Murray-Ryan budget deal that slashed military pensions.

And it wasn’t like this anti-veteran Republican filibuster was some radical break from the past either. Time and time again during the Obama presidency Republicans have either blocked or opposed bills that would have helped out the veterans they’re now claiming to care so much about.

Back in 2012, for example, GOP senators blocked a $1 billion jobs bill would have helped millions of unemployed veterans find work. And in that same year, Republican opposition also blocked a bill - the so-called Veterans’ Compensation Cost of Living Adjustment Act - that would have kept veterans’ benefits on par with rising expenses.

The list goes on. Before that, GOP lawmakers killed the Wounded Veteran Job Security Act, the Veterans Retraining Act of 2009, the Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program Reauthorization Act of 2009, the Disabled Veterans Home Improvement and Structural Alteration Grant Increase Act of 2009, the Veterans Business Center Act of 2009, and the Job Creation Through Entrepreneurship Act of 2009.

Every single one of these these bills would have helped veterans and every single one was killed exclusively by Republican opposition. So don't be surprised if I take the GOP’s newfound obsession with veterans’ issues with a big grain of salt. But Republican hypocrisy when it comes to the VA is only part of the story. What we’re really seeing here with the calls for Veterans Affairs Secretary Shinseki to resign and the bashing of the VA as a whole is one of the best recent examples of what I call the “Republican Chaos Strategy.”

Senate blocks Dems' bill boosting vets' benefits

Here's the 40 Republican senators who HATE VETERANS!

Alexander (R-TN)
Ayotte (R-NH)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coats (R-IN)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lee (R-UT)
Lugar (R-IN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Paul (R-KY)
Portman (R-OH)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rubio (R-FL)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Toomey (R-PA)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)

you dishonest troll...do you even know why they blocked the bill? i bet you don't.

Because the dems want it. And heaven forbid they should actually govern.

There ... That wasn't difficult at all.

While I'm sure it's what you libs would love to believe, you don't get to do everything you want just because you happen to be in the majority. I'm so sorry.

you dishonest troll...do you even know why they blocked the bill? i bet you don't.

McConnell Filibustered VA Funding

Why?

While I'm sure it's what you libs would love to believe, you don't get to do everything you want just because you happen to be in the majority. I'm so sorry.

There ya go. Three verified forum members who proudly HATE VETERANS!

OMG---I've been scarlet lettered !! :lol::lol::lol:

and you still have no clue why they blocked it. because you're a partisan troll.

HINT: they blocked it because portions of the bill would harm vets.

but don't let truth get in howeytroll's way....

and you still have no clue why they blocked it. because you're a partisan troll.

You're a bald faced (actually bald headed :)) liar yurtroll.

from your own link retard:

Republicans also objected to provisions making more veterans without service-connected injuries eligible for treatment at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities. They said that would swamp an already overburdened system.

you should actually read your links instead of being a dumb troll.

And also because it violated current policy against new spending without equal offsets, and mandates of the sequester.

Bernie Sanders "paid for" it with so called spending reductions from closing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, which have already been reconciled and expended as reductions so the Dems want to count them again.

The Repubs wanted to write amendments to properly offset the new expenditures, those at least for veterans more recent than September 11, 2001 - they didn't want the law to apply to earlier vets - and Reid wouldn't allow any amendments by the Republicans, so they wouldn't allow cloture.

This was a political ploy by the Dems to show they "really do care about vets" especially since they have the little problem of the Obama administration's Dept of Veterans Affairs recently being found to have caused the death of at least 40 vets needing lifesaving treatment.

This is entirely a political operation with no higher purpose.

This Veterans Affairs scandal; problems are showing up all over the country with vets not getting the treatments they need to save their very lives. Since this problem is so chronic and ubiquitous, people are asking if there was some kind of communications going on between these medical treatment centers.

The employees and staff say they created two sets of patient lists, and the lists weren't allowed to show more than two weeks of backlog. That is to say that it was important that they appear to be keeping up with the treatment of vets with medical problems, and when the wait for a patients on a list grew longer than two weeks they were simply dropped from the lists, giving the impression everyone is getting seen and treatment begun in just two weeks.

The reason given was they were trying to avoid some kind bad reaction or punishment for poor performance from their superiors. Knowing that it is virtually impossible for a civil servant in the bureaucracy to be fired; what would their punishment be that would cause them to, in effect deny life extending medical care to our vets?

IMO there is one simple answer. The Obama administration has been very aggressive with handing out bonuses; even IRS agents found to be in arrears or in complete non payment of their federal taxes - will still get their bonuses, presumably for their otherwise good work.

It's not too hard to imagine people working in the VA Administration, looking out first of all for their bonuses, for them to "cook the books" to ensure they get the bonuses that they have been counting on. It might seem a small price to pay; shuffle some names around on lists, meet and exceed performance standards and earn your nice bonus

The congressional hearings need to be aimed at the middle and lower level managers instead of at the top at Shinseki who really doesn't know what's going on.

So this bill by Bernie Sanders and Harry Reid is just another smokescreen for the media and loyal minions in the Democrat party to parrot with the objective of obfuscating another incipient scandal.

Last edited:

Well, if Howie says so it must be true.

Alexander (R-TN)
Ayotte (R-NH)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coats (R-IN)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lee (R-UT)
Lugar (R-IN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Paul (R-KY)
Portman (R-OH)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rubio (R-FL)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Toomey (R-PA)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The three I bolded are not current US Senators. How dated is this?

from your own link retard:

Republicans also objected to provisions making more veterans without service-connected injuries eligible for treatment at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities. They said that would swamp an already overburdened system.

you should actually read your links instead of being a dumb troll.

All veterans are entitled to care at VA facilities, beef for brains. That was an effort to ensure they get care. Gawd, you're dense.

And also because it violated current policy against new spending without equal offsets, and mandates of the sequester.

Bernie Sanders "paid for" it with so called spending reductions from closing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, which have already been reconciled and expended as reductions so the Dems want to count them again.

The Repubs wanted to write amendments to properly offset the new expenditures, those at least for veterans more recent than September 11, 2001 - they didn't want the law to apply to earlier vets - and Reid wouldn't allow any amendments by the Republicans, so they wouldn't allow cloture.

This was a political ploy by the Dems to show they "really do care about vets" especially since they have the little problem of the Obama administration's Dept of Veterans Affairs recently being found to have caused the death of at least 40 vets needing lifesaving treatment.

This is entirely a political operation with no higher purpose.

So there you have it.

The answer.

Republicans don't want veterans to get the health care they deserve because it costs money.

For those of you who don't believe...

Republicans don’t really care about veterans or the VA, they just care about using this controversy to discredit the President and his Democratic Party - there is an election coming up, after all - and as a twofer, discredit the idea of government-run healthcare programs like the VA. John McCain has even called for the VA to be privatized. The hypocrisy here is astounding.

Remember, it was just a little under three months ago that Senate Republicans under the leadership of Mitch McConnell filibustered a bill that would have boosted VA funding by $21 billion, expanded benefits, and repealed a provision of the Murray-Ryan budget deal that slashed military pensions.

And it wasn’t like this anti-veteran Republican filibuster was some radical break from the past either. Time and time again during the Obama presidency Republicans have either blocked or opposed bills that would have helped out the veterans they’re now claiming to care so much about.

Back in 2012, for example, GOP senators blocked a $1 billion jobs bill would have helped millions of unemployed veterans find work. And in that same year, Republican opposition also blocked a bill - the so-called Veterans’ Compensation Cost of Living Adjustment Act - that would have kept veterans’ benefits on par with rising expenses.

The list goes on. Before that, GOP lawmakers killed the Wounded Veteran Job Security Act, the Veterans Retraining Act of 2009, the Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program Reauthorization Act of 2009, the Disabled Veterans Home Improvement and Structural Alteration Grant Increase Act of 2009, the Veterans Business Center Act of 2009, and the Job Creation Through Entrepreneurship Act of 2009.

Every single one of these these bills would have helped veterans and every single one was killed exclusively by Republican opposition. So don't be surprised if I take the GOP’s newfound obsession with veterans’ issues with a big grain of salt. But Republican hypocrisy when it comes to the VA is only part of the story. What we’re really seeing here with the calls for Veterans Affairs Secretary Shinseki to resign and the bashing of the VA as a whole is one of the best recent examples of what I call the “Republican Chaos Strategy.”

Senate blocks Dems' bill boosting vets' benefits

Alexander (R-TN)
Ayotte (R-NH)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coats (R-IN)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lee (R-UT)
Lugar (R-IN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Paul (R-KY)
Portman (R-OH)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rubio (R-FL)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Toomey (R-PA)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)
Whyvis it the Dems answer to everything is to throw more money at it? Why is it that many VA facilities are without scandal? Couldn't have a thing to do with mismanagement now, could it? Why don't you want those that are usurping the trust given them to manage and take proper care of our Vets weeded out?
Historic levels of funding for the VA already, over 14 times, in 2012 constant dollars than what it was in the 1940's, as it is. Yet this is occurring in some facilities. I want to find out why some can make it work and give proper care for our Vets and others can't. Throwing more money at the problem is not the answer at this point.

Forum List

Back