McDonalds Opening 6500 sq ft Restaurant WHERE KIOSKS WILL TAKE YOUR ORDER

2. Prefab/offsite construction methods will become more popular
B2fromFlatbushFull-771x578.jpg

461 Dean Street high-rise modular building in Brooklyn, NY
Credit: City Limits

Offsite — also known as modular or prefabricated — construction has been gaining ground as an alternative building method that offers the benefits of reduced construction time, less waste and possible cost savings. As companies struggle to staff job sites and stick to difficult schedules, many have started to turn to prefab as an option that offers more certainty.

"A lot of use of things like prefabrication, we expect that to be an accelerating trend next year," Thasarathar said.

Ron Antevy, president and CEO of e-Builder, told Construction Dive he has seen a growing use of prefab methods, especially in the healthcare sector.

"(Prefab) is up-and-coming. That's a way to save costs and speed up the time," he said. "Some of the larger owners out there are starting to realize there are efficiencies there, but you have to be doing a certain amount of volume for these kinds of strategies to pay off."

Wider implementation of offsite construction has been somewhat hindered by the design and construction culture, according to experts at the Offsite Construction Expo in September. They also cited the change in the traditional building process that comes with offsite methods as a deterrent for implementing the approach, as contractors and owners struggle to adapt to the varied timeline of decisions and building. Still, the additional certainty that comes with prefab could catalyze the growing trend in 2016."

Traditional construction methods are being replaced by 'Off-site' methods.
Up and coming with large volume sales doesn't equate to taking over the industry.

Are you then familiar with the fact that more and more buildings are being constructed in large panel form off site?
These panels are basically pre-fab. Within the panels are all the electrical and plumbing elements. The entire building is pre-fabbed and trucked to the building site where a small crew basically 'plugs' in each panel to another.
The interior and exterior and insulation is prefabbed.
Increasingly these prefab building are being constructed by robots.
I have visited a couple of these building manufacturing businesses.
Think of what a modern day automobile factory looks like with it's huge robotics. The exact same technology is happening in prefab building businesses.
Once the building site is prepped and the foundations poured and cured and the sub floors are down in come the lowboy 18 wheelers. I recently saw a two story 10000 square foot office building go up complete with landscaping and parking lot ready to do business in three weeks.
A couple of years ago it would have taken six months and fifty carpenters.
This building had a full time crew of five.
I'm not drunk pal. I'm looking at the reality coming to everyone in the country who doesn't have the education/skills to earn a secure well paying job.
You are clearly delusional.
Most commercial and residential buildings are not prefab. Assembly line work can be done by robots, you keep diverting the conversation. I'm a general contractor and belong to a contractor forum and we talk every day. Nobody is doing prefab work. Buildings go up faster because they have the crew and subs to do the job. Many aspects are subbed out these days and since it's what they do they can knock it out. Suppliers are geared up for quick deliveries to. Order one day have it delivered the next.

It's all skilled work and you'll be long long gone before robots are doing that kind of work. They'll have roboic cops by then.
Pre fab homes are going up all over SoCal. There is a core where all the mechanics are, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, heating. The foundation is put in, the core tower goes up and everything is just plugged in.

In areas where there are affordable subdivisions, it's mobile homes. They are trucked in, bolted down and sprayed with stucco. By looking, you can't tell them from stick built.
None of that is going on here, might have something to do with California pricing. But it still requires skilled help to do. All aspects must pass inspection, plumbing, electrical, foundation, etc. Robots aren't doing it. Prefab has been around for a long while and they have their place but that doesn't describe most homes. Same with mobile homes. That's the low end of the market and if you look around, most homes are not low end.
Depends on what part of the country you live in.
In some parts prefab makes up the majority of new construction.
As the middle class step down another rung on the economic ladder they aren't even considering the same price home as they were five years ago.
I'm guessing for every million dollar custom home built by 'skilled' tradesmen there are twenty thousand homes costing under a 100K. Many of these homes are prefab.

Are you then familiar with the fact that more and more buildings are being constructed in large panel form off site?
These panels are basically pre-fab. Within the panels are all the electrical and plumbing elements. The entire building is pre-fabbed and trucked to the building site where a small crew basically 'plugs' in each panel to another.
Think of what a modern day automobile factory looks like with it's huge robotics. The exact same technology is happening in prefab building businesses.
Once the building site is prepped and the foundations poured and cured and the sub floors are down in come the lowboy 18 wheelers. I recently saw a two story 10000 square foot office building go up complete with landscaping and parking lot ready to do business in three weeks.
I'm not drunk pal. I'm looking at the reality coming to everyone in the country who doesn't have the education/skills to earn a secure well paying job.
Most commercial and residential buildings are not prefab. Assembly line work can be done by robots, you keep diverting the conversation. I'm a general contractor and belong to a contractor forum and we talk every day. Nobody is doing prefab work. Buildings go up faster because they have the crew and subs to do the job. Many aspects are subbed out these days and since it's what they do they can knock it out. Suppliers are geared up for quick deliveries to. Order one day have it delivered the next.

It's all skilled work and you'll be long long gone before robots are doing that kind of work. They'll have roboic cops by then.
Pre fab homes are going up all over SoCal. There is a core where all the mechanics are, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, heating. The foundation is put in, the core tower goes up and everything is just plugged in.

In areas where there are affordable subdivisions, it's mobile homes. They are trucked in, bolted down and sprayed with stucco. By looking, you can't tell them from stick built.
None of that is going on here, might have something to do with California pricing. But it still requires skilled help to do. All aspects must pass inspection, plumbing, electrical, foundation, etc. Robots aren't doing it. Prefab has been around for a long while and they have their place but that doesn't describe most homes. Same with mobile homes. That's the low end of the market and if you look around, most homes are not low end.
As the middle class step down another rung on the economic ladder they aren't even considering the same price home as they were five years ago.
I'm guessing for every million dollar custom home built by 'skilled' tradesmen there are twenty thousand homes costing under a 100K. Many of these homes are prefab.
Under 100k? Not anywhere near here. ALL the new free standing homes are big boxes filling up small lots. Condo types are smaller but it's always been that way. Prefab only works if a bunch of buildings are the same. They have to make up the jigs and tools to do it. I haven't seen two of the same here but it might be true in some rapidly growing area, if there are any.

Under 100k? Not anywhere near here. ALL the new free standing homes are big boxes filling up small lots. Condo types are smaller but it's always been that way. Prefab only works if a bunch of buildings are the same. They have to make up the jigs and tools to do it. I haven't seen two of the same here but it might be true in some rapidly growing area, if there are any.
A local 'off-site' prefab business has six home models to choose from.
My son used to work there as a supervisor and I've visited the business a few times.
As for the 'jigs' changing from one design to another only takes the workers a few minutes to reposition them.
'Remove pins in position A. Slide frame to position B. Put pins in position B holes. Begin production.' Dead simple, quick and easy.
The 2x4s for the framing arrive pre drilled for the wiring and plumbing.
A crew of four young strong fast semi-literates can complete an approximately 4'x8' wrapped panel ready for the forklift to put it in the trailer in about 15 minutes.
They are paid $12 an hour and they think they have won the '649' of jobs.

My son used to work there as a supervisor and I've visited the business a few times.
As for the 'jigs' changing from one design to another only takes the workers a few minutes to reposition them.
'Remove pins in position A. Slide frame to position B. Put pins in position B holes. Begin production.' Dead simple, quick and easy.
A crew of four young strong fast semi-literates can complete an approximately 4'x8' wrapped panel ready for the forklift to put it in the trailer in about 15 minutes.
The point was they need jigs for whatever they are building, that's how production assembly line stuff works. But you are talking factory jobs, I wasn't.

The point was they need jigs for whatever they are building, that's how production assembly line stuff works. But you are talking factory jobs, I wasn't.
giphy.gif

Hardee’s Restaurant Installs “Self Order Stations”
Young Conservatives ^ | 20 Apr 16 | Andrew Mark Miller
A little while back we told you about how the CEO of Hardees/Carl’s Jr. was thinking about replacing employees with machines thanks to the ridiculous minimum wage hike to $15.Well, it appears he has done it.It was only a matter of time before this started to happen and you can expect to see more of this in the future.

2-12.jpg
Machines dont' strike, don't get sick, don't demand raises for nothing, don't join unions, don't fight with customers.
Don't' blame Hardees at all.

And if enough people get unemployed they won't have customers either.

The only question that remains is....where will the former order-taking employees find the money to buy Big Macs when they are unemployed and only have food stamps (which can't be spent at McDonalds)...

And the dragon keeps eating the end of its tail...

You know Canada put a stop to this type of runaway focusing of wealth at the top 1%, even to cut its own throat eventually...they enacted laws where a certain percentage of all businesses and manufacturing has to be done by human labor. We'll be there. McDonalds has just accelerated that into being.

Hey McDonalds corporate moguls...you can afford to pay your employees $15/hour. Yes, you can. And you can still each have 6 or 7 mansions and your own private island in the Caribbean.

The only question that remains is....where will the former order-taking employees find the money to buy Big Macs when they are unemployed and only have food stamps (which can't be spent at McDonalds)...

You know Canada put a stop to this type of runaway focusing of wealth at the top 1%, even to cut its own throat eventually...they enacted laws where a certain percentage of all businesses and manufacturing has to be done by human labor. We'll be there. McDonalds has just accelerated that into being.

Hey McDonalds corporate moguls...you can afford to pay your employees $15/hour. Yes, you can. And you can still each have 6 or 7 mansions and your own private island in the Caribbean.
Eighty percent of McDonald's owners are franchise owners.
I can assure you very few of these franchise owners have 6-7 mansions and own private islands.
But you go on with are stupid ignorant childish delusions.The semi literates shouldn't be eating fat and salt and sugar or feeding it to their soon to become diabetic children like their parents anyway.

McDonalds sucks, doesn't matter what you order it all tastes the same

It sucks because shitty employees of the BLM crowd make it.

These machines will make the food correctly and get the order right!!

This is wonderful news. And if it ever comes here...I may start eating McDonald's once a week again. When done correctly....a proper Big Mac and fries is hard to beat.
Their fries are NEVER good now because they switched the oil they cook them in years ago.

McDs only owns about 10% of the stores. The rest are franchises.

I don't eat fast food so they can pay the goons $100/hr for all I care. Every business is different. How did they determine which ones need X amount of manual labor?

I like this. Wawa already does this and it's great! I hope they do it. Plus it's what those greedy bastards in the Fight for 15 deserve.

ooo is there a generic way to tell if a wall is structural or not? I want to open up my kitchen to the old dining room we're kind of turning into a pass-through to the back deck cooking area, but I don't particularly want my bed to end up in the kitchen heh

ooo is there a generic way to tell if a wall is structural or not? I want to open up my kitchen to the old dining room we're kind of turning into a pass-through to the back deck cooking area, but I don't particularly want my bed to end up in the kitchen heh
You really need a structural engineer to look at it. You may be able to do it anyway with supports on both sides and a good header. It's not something to gamble on.

Here's what is being built around here.

Proto Homes | Modern, Smart & Affordable Prefab Homes

You really need a structural engineer to look at it. You may be able to do it anyway with supports on both sides and a good header. It's not something to gamble on.

~sigh~ I suspected as much, guess I better put a plan down on paper and call a contractor to check it out. On the bright side, I wanted to consult with someone about installing a storage lift in the basement so we don't have to kill ourselves getting our tree up for Xmas (the last of the kids turns 18 this year so we can't make them do it anymore heh)

Some people point to the failures of regressive policies and call them "unintended consequences" of people who have "good intentions" and promote "the best interests" of the lower classes.

That entire concept is the biggest pile of soft steaming bullshit. If it was quantified as matter, it's volume would completely envelope the entire galaxy.

The people who thought up these "lofty, enlightened ideas" like "living wages" are all criminally insane totalitarian sociopaths and their agenda is to destroy, degrade, sabotage or otherwise harm the capitalist system. There is no way any group of so called intellectuals could fail so spectacularly at every step without their failures being deliberate.

Good job lefties. Yep, the real minimum wage is $0.

• $1.59million St. Joseph restaurant will open in July
  • It will feature earthy tones, couches and armchairs for a 'modern look'
  • And kiosks will allow customers to customize burger and sandwich orders
  • Play space will have interactive light board tables, tabletop video games
Read more: Missouri McDonald's will offer bottomless french fries on the menu

Is the giant McDonald's going to be totally automated?
Made perfectly every time.

Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

Made perfectly every time.

Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

It's science fiction. As an investor, if there was such a thing I'd be financing it.

Prefab has been around for decades. The cost savings come from time, not employees.

Some people point to the failures of regressive policies and call them "unintended consequences" of people who have "good intentions" and promote "the best interests" of the lower classes.

That entire concept is the biggest pile of soft steaming bullshit. If it was quantified as matter, it's volume would completely envelope the entire galaxy.

The people who thought up these "lofty, enlightened ideas" like "living wages" are all criminally insane totalitarian sociopaths and their agenda is to destroy, degrade, sabotage or otherwise harm the capitalist system. There is no way any group of so called intellectuals could fail so spectacularly at every step without their failures being deliberate.

You and yours attempt to dissuade by quoting science fiction as fact.

Forum List

Back