McDonalds Pays $15 an hour and still turns a huge profit

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
...in Australia

The Magical World Where McDonald's Pays $15 an Hour? It's Australia

The Magical World Where McDonald's Pays $15 an Hour? It's Australia - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

The land down under is, of course, not the only high-wage country in the world where McDonald's does lucrative business. The company actually earns more revenue out of Europe than than it does from the United States. France, with its roughly $12.00 hourly minimum, has more than 1,200 locations. (Australia has about 900).

That said, not every extra dollar of worker compensation seems to get passed onto the consumer. Again, take Australia. According to the The Economist, Aussies have paid anywhere from 6 cents to 70 cents extra for their Big Macs compared to Americans over the past two years, a 1 percent to 17 percent premium. If you were to simply double the cost of labor at your average U.S. Mickey D's and tack it onto the price of a sandwich, you'd expect customers to be paying at least a dollar more.

Pandering to the greedy idiot chickenhawk rich for 30 years, and brainwashing the ignorant hateful for 25 years, makes the USA a unfair cruel ruin that only the stupidest voters in the world defend. See sig. Thanks Pubs.

They pay them upwards of $15 in NYC too. Oh, wait. that probably goes against the propaganda being pumped out by the OP.

If the McDonalds in back country Mississippi is paying $15 hr to ask about the size of fries and push microwave oven buttons, I'm moving there and working part time.

Um...ClosedCaption?

Guess what the minimum wage is in Australia.

It's $15. In a land where gas is over $5 a gallon.

That's right. McD's in Australia is paying their workers minimum wage.

Last edited:
I would also bet $15 that a Big Mac meal is more than a dollar higher than a Big Mac meal in Anytown, USA.

Indices Difference Info
Consumer Prices in United States are 31.77% lower than in Australia
Consumer Prices Including Rent in United States are 34.64% lower than in Australia
Rent Prices in United States are 40.48% lower than in Australia
Restaurant Prices in United States are 32.32% lower than in Australia
Groceries Prices in United States are 25.91% lower than in Australia
Local Purchasing Power in United States is 30.70% higher than in Australia

A pair of Blue Jeans in Australia costs $100.

Gasoline is more than $1.50 a gallon more.

A friend of mine who lives in Australia tells me she likes it there, but don't even think about ever getting ahead.

She said we here don't really understand the meaning of living paycheck to paycheck like Aussies do.

And she's got an advanced Nursing Degree. Something to do with Nuclear X-Rays? Never heard of it. Probably not saying it right.

She's coming back. Been there 15 years, got engaged to one of New Zealand's All Blacks, put him on the curb and is moving back.

A much wiser girl than when she left.

If I had to leave the Country, though. I think Australia would be at or near the top of my list of places to go.

...in Australia

The Magical World Where McDonald's Pays $15 an Hour? It's Australia

The Magical World Where McDonald's Pays $15 an Hour? It's Australia - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

The land down under is, of course, not the only high-wage country in the world where McDonald's does lucrative business. The company actually earns more revenue out of Europe than than it does from the United States. France, with its roughly $12.00 hourly minimum, has more than 1,200 locations. (Australia has about 900).
That said, not every extra dollar of worker compensation seems to get passed onto the consumer. Again, take Australia. According to the The Economist, Aussies have paid anywhere from 6 cents to 70 cents extra for their Big Macs compared to Americans over the past two years, a 1 percent to 17 percent premium. If you were to simply double the cost of labor at your average U.S. Mickey D's and tack it onto the price of a sandwich, you'd expect customers to be paying at least a dollar more.

Poor people would have to pay more for food, that doesn't seem to bother the rich people who think the minimum wage should be higher. Maybe they should donate some of their money to McDonald's so they can pay their employees more without raising the prices.

They pay them upwards of $15 in NYC too. Oh, wait. that probably goes against the propaganda being pumped out by the OP.

If the McDonalds in back country Mississippi is paying $15 hr to ask about the size of fries and push microwave oven buttons, I'm moving there and working part time.

new york is different. things cost more in the city than outside of it.

Me too.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Link to #16, $15 McD in NYC? Sure our rent etc is cheaper, 60% of the USA is hurting after 30 years of pandering to the rich and screwing the nonrich...Every other modern country is $11+ min wage, taxes the rich fairly, not here! See sig para 1. Worst rich/poor gap, upward mobility in the modern world, American dream shot to hell, hater dupes.

Voodoo wrecked and IS WRECKING the nonrich to the point where demand for products and services has dried up, along with their savings...BEFORE the corruption and cronyism housing and credit meltdown of 2008...Memorize the facts, hater dupes:
1. WORKERS past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):1950 = 101% 1960 = 105% 1970 = 105% 1980 = 105% – Reagan1990 = 100% 2000 = 96% 2007 = 92%

A 13% drop since 1980 A 13% drop since 19802. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE. Share of National Income going to Top 10%:1950 = 35%1960 = 34%1970 = 34%1980 = 34% – Reagan1990 = 40%2000 = 47%2007 = 50% TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:1965 = 46% 1970 = 45% 1980 = 50% – Reagan 1990 = 61%2000 = 69%2007 = 95% An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.1950 = 6.0%1960 = 7.0%1970 = 8.5%1980 = 10.0% – Reagan1982 = 11.2% – Peak1990 = 7.0% 2000 = 2.0%2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings) A 5.6 times increase.

6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:1945 = 12%1958 = 6%1990 = 3%2000 = 2%A 10% Decrease.

Links:1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Researc...s/No7Nov04.pdf1 = Clipboard01.jpg (image)2 – Congratulations to Emmanuel Saez | The White House3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/imag...ving_thumb.gif3 = http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/...&LastYear=20104 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php...or-debt-of-gdp4 = FRB: Z.1 Release--Financial Accounts of the United States--June 6, 20135/6 = Wealth And Inequality In America - Business Insider

Last edited:

Forum List

Back