Median CEO pay crosses $10 million

CEO pay continues to increase while we have a stagnant economy and wages for the average worker.
Median CEO pay crosses $10 million in latest survey | Las Vegas Review-Journal

If the federal government requires funding from income taxes and those who make the most money pay the highest per-capita amounts, wouldn't we want the pay for those at the top to be even higher?

I'd prefer a larger pool of people paying and fewer on welfare.

How about this?
Have a corporate policy where the CEO makes no more than 7 times the pay of the lowest paid worker.
It's been tried... and it failed.

Ben & Jerry's ice cream were just two hippies who took the ice cream course at Penn State. They went home to Vermont and converted a gas station into an ice cream shop.

The rest is history.

They got to a point where they were getting so big they had to hire people. But since money wasn't their original objective, they instituted a "Seven times rule". They would make no more than seven times the pay of the floor sweeper.

He still was paid just above minimum wage.

The money was put into the company and Ben & Jerry took home small salaries.

The company got too big for them, so they needed to hire a CEO.
At a salary that was seven times the minimum worker's?
They got no takers at all. So they had to abandon that policy.
They hired a CEO and had to pay him $1,000,000 a year. He lasted 12 months, and accepted an offer someplace else with a much higher salary.

Sigh...

So Ben & Jerry sold the company to Unilever for a pantload of money.

There are lots of qualified people that will work for 7x the average workers pay.

Find me one that does so for a large company.

there is nothing wrong with inequality. Who made the rule that everyone needs to earn the same amount of money?

We have to have inequality I would say. But to much leads to a slow economy. You notice ours for the last several years?

The current slow economy has nothing to do with CEO pay, minimum wage, unions, or "worker" pay. It is the result of an over taxing, over regulating, over spending, incompetent government.

Best economy I remember was during Clinton. Taxes were higher then.

How about this?
Have a corporate policy where the CEO makes no more than 7 times the pay of the lowest paid worker.
It's been tried... and it failed.

Ben & Jerry's ice cream were just two hippies who took the ice cream course at Penn State. They went home to Vermont and converted a gas station into an ice cream shop.

The rest is history.

They got to a point where they were getting so big they had to hire people. But since money wasn't their original objective, they instituted a "Seven times rule". They would make no more than seven times the pay of the floor sweeper.

He still was paid just above minimum wage.

The money was put into the company and Ben & Jerry took home small salaries.

The company got too big for them, so they needed to hire a CEO.
At a salary that was seven times the minimum worker's?
They got no takers at all. So they had to abandon that policy.
They hired a CEO and had to pay him $1,000,000 a year. He lasted 12 months, and accepted an offer someplace else with a much higher salary.

Sigh...

So Ben & Jerry sold the company to Unilever for a pantload of money.

There are lots of qualified people that will work for 7x the average workers pay.

It's a rigged game. People that will work for less aren't allowed to play.

How does CEO pay affect the downtrodden? Is it class envy? If the CEO's were paid less would the workers be paid more? If so by how much?

Gross executive pay should have the same effects as a min wage increase. Not sure how the right loves one and not the other.

so this thread is for you dumping on the right?
how about you go start a business and work FOR NOTHING, pay your employees $50 an hour... and then get back to us and let us know how it went

I did that for 3 years, but only because I had a good expectation of eventually making MUCH more than that. It didn't quite pan out, but I never would have started if the most I could make was $54.75 an hour and/or had to pay the college students just learning how to show up on time more than minimum.

It don't work that way. I have NEVER gone to a job and tried to debate my wage. Its either told to me what the wage IS or its in the job ad etc before I apply...its already a done deal.

You are not in the rigged game of CEOs. They even negotiate what they get when they fail, and it's a lot. Think the average worker will get hired if he wants to negotiate his failure at the job?

I negotiated a severance package on the day I took the job.

"I'll do my best and the bonus is great if I succeed but I need a safety net too."

That translated into a 20% cut in my expected midrange bonus to be allocated if I didn't meet the goals. This was a sales job at a tech firm, very low on the food chain.

It don't work that way. I have NEVER gone to a job and tried to debate my wage. Its either told to me what the wage IS or its in the job ad etc before I apply...its already a done deal.

You are not in the rigged game of CEOs. They even negotiate what they get when they fail, and it's a lot. Think the average worker will get hired if he wants to negotiate his failure at the job?
Exactly. I could have run Target into the ground and gotten 15$ million for it! That's what their last CEO did...15$ as a severance package.

Then whose fault is that? If you are just going to take what they offer without even making an attempt to get higher pay, why should you get paid more?
Its not a fault its the way it is. You either take what's offered or they will simply find another worker. Which is why I am a such a huge proponent of Workers Unions.

The key is putting your education and skillset in a place that is valuable. If you can't ever do that then you just aren't trying.

We have to have inequality I would say. But to much leads to a slow economy. You notice ours for the last several years?

The current slow economy has nothing to do with CEO pay, minimum wage, unions, or "worker" pay. It is the result of an over taxing, over regulating, over spending, incompetent government.

Best economy I remember was during Clinton. Taxes were higher then.

you're right dolt; taxes and not the dot-com revolution are the reason for the success of the Clinton years

CEO pay continues to increase while we have a stagnant economy and wages for the average worker.
Median CEO pay crosses $10 million in latest survey | Las Vegas Review-Journal

If the federal government requires funding from income taxes and those who make the most money pay the highest per-capita amounts, wouldn't we want the pay for those at the top to be even higher?

I'd prefer a larger pool of people paying and fewer on welfare.

Ah.

How does capping CEO pay accomplish that?

Show us the math.

It's a rigged game. People that will work for less aren't allowed to play.

That is not true. Get an idea, convince people to invest (if you need the capital), and run the business well. You'll be a CEO and you'll be making lots more than you ever thought possible.

when did this all start and how did it start is my first question.....? I realize the board of directors negotiate salaries and exit packages and board members are mostly CEO'S of other corporations, so it is truly a "good ole boys (and girls) network" that has boosted each others salaries....BUT hasn't it always been the board of directors choosing the salary and bonuses and exit contracts with CEO's? So WHAT in the world made this raising of CEO salaries in the exorbitant amount that they have risen in the past few decades? and vs the rest of the global world's CEO's too?

Was it stock options? I don't know? What caused this spiraling upwards on CEO pay....?(and stagnation with employee pay)? Was it covetousness between CEO'S/Board members that made them rise and rise and rise and rise much much faster than the market called for....?

There is X percentage that is allotted in each corporation's budget for compensation, if the CEO gets more of this percentage than he has in the past, then the math shows that employees have to get less to compensate for such....there's no way around that....

but at the moment, I don't see how any of this can be fixed and it certainly can not be fixed by the government....

Maybe the stock holders of these corporations, (the owners) could speak up and insist their CEO not be paid so much? Maybe the good ole board of directors /CEO club could be curbed somehow, but how?

when did this all start and how did it start is my first question.....? I realize the board of directors negotiate salaries and exit packages and board members are mostly CEO'S of other corporations, so it is truly a "good ole boys (and girls) network" that has boosted each others salaries....BUT hasn't it always been the board of directors choosing the salary and bonuses and exit contracts with CEO's? So WHAT in the world made this raising of CEO salaries in the exorbitant amount that they have risen in the past few decades? and vs the rest of the global world's CEO's too?

Was it stock options? I don't know? What caused this spiraling upwards on CEO pay....?(and stagnation with employee pay)? Was it covetousness between CEO'S/Board members that made them rise and rise and rise and rise much much faster than the market called for....?

There is X percentage that is allotted in each corporation's budget for compensation, if the CEO gets more of this percentage than he has in the past, then the math shows that employees have to get less to compensate for such....there's no way around that....

but at the moment, I don't see how any of this can be fixed and it certainly can not be fixed by the government....

Maybe the stock holders of these corporations, (the owners) could speak up and insist their CEO not be paid so much? Maybe the good ole board of directors /CEO club could be curbed somehow, but how?

"There is X percentage that is allotted in each corporation's budget for compensation, if the CEO gets more of this percentage than he has in the past, then the math shows that employees have to get less to compensate for such....there's no way around that...."

That's not true. Savings due to automation, process improvement, and supply chain management drive increased compensation for management. The reason overall worker pay is lower is because the skills needed are diminishing.

Having the same bolt installed in the same panel all day long is unsustainable at a cost of $70 per hour, hence Detroit today.

Auto Worker Salaries

The Rich, including the rich CEO's, are the so-called 'job creators' aren't they, supposedly?

And yet most CEO's have it in their job descriptions, implicitly, to make their corporation run with as few jobs as possible,

at the lowest wages possible, all things considered.

The Rich, including the rich CEO's, are the so-called 'job creators' aren't they, supposedly?

And yet most CEO's have it in their job descriptions, implicitly, to make their corporation run with as few jobs as possible,

So?

That's how business is supposed to run.

Do you routinely pay the IRS more than you owe or do you pay the lowest possibile amount?

Forum List

Back