Medical marijuana

Again, interesting perspective, but nothing to do with what I posted.

My concern is that the majority of posters in this thread don't seem to know the difference between medical marijuana and recreational marijuana, and it's that conflation of the two, combined with the hysterical fear of Reefer Madness that has complicated the legalization process.
OK , what can you tell us about medical marijuana ?

90%+ is for nonmedical conditions.

Sounds like a lot of users are not honest with themselves.
Is it worse for many individuals to not be "honest with themselves" or for our Federal government to not be honest , for nearly 8 decades , with the entire nation ? ;/)
1PZtX.jpg

Well, you have found ways around the government issues, so the personal dishonesty is more of an issue true?
Look , if the so called "less government / more freedom" GOP is interested in continuing to throw tokers under the bus . . . . maybe the Democrat party will continue to reduce the war against us .
There are a myriad of miseries visited upon tokers by the war against us , with us having to depend upon black market to acquire marijuana . . . Just keep on doing what you are doing , but I assure you , we tokers will not forget who works to end the war on us . And you call yourself "save liberty" - interesting .
Puritanism_HLMencken_zps6ff3f21a.jpg

Last edited:

My concern is that the majority of posters in this thread don't seem to know the difference between medical marijuana and recreational marijuana, and it's that conflation of the two, combined with the hysterical fear of Reefer Madness that has complicated the legalization process.

It's been used by patients undergoing chemotherapy to reduce nausea and vomiting:

Regulation of nausea and vomiting by cannabinoids. - PubMed - NCBI

It's also a very effective painkiller, either alone or as an add-on to other pain medications:

http://mychronicrelief.com/chronic-relief/

So does caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, sugar, and a number of over-the-counter medicines. Are we then to slap these out of the hand of the consumer? Sheesh, maybe Bloomberg has a chance after all :rolleyes:

I avoid the first three items,on that list religiously. Sugar is unavoidable in our society. I do my best to avoid OTC medications as much as possible; including and especially pain killers.

That's your choice as an individual.

It's been used by patients undergoing chemotherapy to reduce nausea and vomiting:

It's also a very effective painkiller, either alone or as an add-on to other pain medications:

I have to take pain medications for osteoarthritis . . . Marijuana aids in my pain relief , mostly as a muscle relaxer and anti-depressant . After I use marijuana , I'm able to more effectively move through a few yoga positions which eases my spinal pain .

And yet you took Keppra, despite its potential for the following side effects:

Having taken its predecessor, Phenobarbital, as a child, I had a reasonable belief that the only side effect would be the slight loss of energy. With proper diet I've overcome that as well.

If tbe side effects had been more extensive, I wouldn't be here to have this conversation.

You're fortunate. Correct diet can resolve many issues, but most deny how important a role diet actually plays.

Funny how a person can dig up "studies" to endorse whatever their position happens to be in order to make them feel better about themselves. Self-deception, but it's a powerful alluring entity to the equation.

What do you think about medical marijuana? Don't you think it's strange that it's getting legalized everywhere since recently? Some years ago potheads were laughing at and now it is completely okay to smoke weed almost everywhere. Sure thing it can be used for medical purposes but it seems like things are going way too fast. It can cause schizophrenia and make people addicted in no time.
Maybe it's too early to legalize it? A question to pot smokers: how has marijuana improved your life?

From the U.S. Patent Office

United States Patent: 6630507

"Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##"

Funny how a person can dig up "studies" to endorse whatever their position happens to be in order to make them feel better about themselves. Self-deception, but it's a powerful alluring entity to the equation.

Interesting hypothesis. Perhaps you can find studies that make claims opposing the one I posted, or at least the anecdotal evidence provided at the second link.

FWIW, I do not use marijuana either medicinally or recreationally.

I eagerly await your refutation.

There is serious science behind the medical use of cannabis:

Effects of smoked marijuana in experimentally induced asthma. - PubMed - NCBI

I don't need to know the difference. All I need to know is that the main chemical in that crap (THC) has mind altering effects and therefore has no place in the hands of citizens.

When do you start demanding the banning of other mind-altering things...like coffee, chocolate, and good sex?

I don't need to know the difference. All I need to know is that the main chemical in that crap (THC) has mind altering effects and therefore has no place in the hands of citizens.

When do you start demanding the banning of other mind-altering things...like coffee, chocolate, and good sex?

Sorry Jarlaxle

1. I don't see the same arguments made than any of these
change the actual DNA of the person using these. I've seen friends
have chronic issues with near paranoid rejection because they
altered their brain chemistry and personality. You can argue they
already had such a personality, but the more they relied on pot,
they denied and suppressed they had any such problem.

2. Nobody is SMOKING coffee, chocolate, or good sex.
Part of the damage is caused just by the fact the pot
is being SMOKED

3. What I find most disturbing is the people pushing pot
for medicinal purposes, don't care equally to research
spiritual healing methods that are even MORE natural,
FREE, and can cure more ills by addressing the root cause
unlike marijuana which only temporary relieves symptoms.

This alone shows the motive is more selfish about wanting
to smoke pot or to use this as a political statement about authority.

If the issue were truly to provide natural remedy and comfort to more
people, then as many would push for spiritual healing to be researched
and not just pushing marijuana by piggybacking on medical arguments.

Spiritual healing is used to cure addiction itself, and could potentially
end the reliance on alcohol, pot or other drugs to feed such an addiction.

So if pot users avoid spiritual healing, maybe they want to stay addicted?

Some of those are already banned in my home.... I can't stand the snell of coffee. It makes me nauseous. Sex is for procreation not enjoyment.

Sorry Jarlaxle

1. I don't see the same arguments made than any of these
change the actual DNA of the person using these. I've seen friends
have chronic issues with near paranoid rejection because they
altered their brain chemistry and personality. You can argue they
already had such a personality, but the more they relied on pot,
they denied and suppressed they had any such problem.

2. Nobody is SMOKING coffee, chocolate, or good sex.
Part of the damage is caused just by the fact the pot
is being SMOKED

3. What I find most disturbing is the people pushing pot
for medicinal purposes, don't care equally to research
spiritual healing methods that are even MORE natural,
FREE, and can cure more ills by addressing the root cause
unlike marijuana which only temporary relieves symptoms.

This alone shows the motive is more selfish about wanting
to smoke pot or to use this as a political statement about authority.

If the issue were truly to provide natural remedy and comfort to more
people, then as many would push for spiritual healing to be researched
and not just pushing marijuana by piggybacking on medical arguments.

Spiritual healing is used to cure addiction itself, and could potentially
end the reliance on alcohol, pot or other drugs to feed such an addiction.

So if pot users avoid spiritual healing, maybe they want to stay addicted?

Cannabis is not addictive. We've known that for thousands of years.

Forum List

Back