Melting ice a 'sleeping giant' that will push sea levels higher, scientist says

A lot of good that will do me. We'll all be dead. I want my beachfront property now.

More than half the planets human population lives in cities and most of those cities are on the coasts not much above current sea level.

I means seriously...does this really require explanation?

If you believe the sea level is rising, you understand the problem.

If you don't then obviously there is nothing to worry about.

Truth will out.

Assuming it's true you can't do anything about it anyway. Nature will do what nature will do. The Sahara Desert used to be a lush jungle at one time. The planet is always changing. You adapt.

Yup. Cannot argue with any of the above observations, DTMB

Do you agree it IS changing as described?(ie sea level rising rapidly)

That seems to be THE debate here.

I filled my bucket glass with ice and 3 fingers of scotch...it filled the glass about 1" from the top.

I got a telephone call from an old friend and forgot about the drink. When I came back the ice had melted and the glass was still about 1" from the top........

Now what would have happened if the ice has been sitting on the table?

You know..like much of the ice in Greenland and Antarctica?

When that ice/water hits the world's oceans will that ALSO not make any difference?

Also what IS the effect on that much FRESH WATER hitting the world's oceans?

Have another drink, Lad.

Might as well..can't dance, right?

:eusa_angel:

An astounding number of content-less posts in a row from the DENIALIST camp.

Were you guys aware that the land underneath the West Antarctic Peninsula (ie, the bottom of the ice sheet) is below sea level?

But there's really no need to worry. Look! Here, in the Wikipedia article on the Antarctic Ice Sheet, you will find the term "tipping point":

Potential collapse

Large parts of the WAIS sit on a bed which is below sea level and slopes downward inland.[A] This slope, and the low isostatic head, mean that the ice sheet is theoretically unstable: a small retreat could in theory destabilize the entire WAIS leading to rapid disintegration. Current computer models do not include the physics necessary to simulate this process, and observations do not provide guidance, so predictions as to its rate of retreat remain uncertain. This has been known for decades.[citation needed]
In January 2006, in a UK government-commissioned report, the head of the British Antarctic Survey, Chris Rapley, warned that this huge west Antarctic ice sheet may be starting to disintegrate. It has been hypothesised that this disintegration could raise sea levels by approximately 3.3 metres (10 ft).[8] (If the entire West Antarctic Ice Sheet were to melt, this would contribute 4.8 m to global sea level.)[9] Rapley said a previous Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report that played down the worries of the ice sheet's stability should be revised. "I would say it is now an awakened giant. There is real concern." [5]
Rapley said, "Parts of the Antarctic ice sheet that rest on bedrock below sea level have begun to discharge ice fast enough to make a significant contribution to sea level rise. Understanding the reason for this change is urgent in order to be able to predict how much ice may ultimately be discharged and over what timescale. Current computer models do not include the effect of liquid water on ice sheet sliding and flow, and so provide only conservative estimates of future behaviour." [10]
James E. Hansen, a senior NASA scientist and leading climate expert, said the results were deeply worrying. "Once a sheet starts to disintegrate, it can reach a tipping point beyond which break-up is explosively rapid," he said.[11]
Polar ice experts from the U.S. and U.K. met at the University of Texas at Austin in March, 2007 for the West Antarctic Links to Sea-Level Estimation (WALSE) Workshop. The experts discussed a new hypothesis that explains the observed increased melting of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. They proposed that changes in air circulation patterns have led to increased upwelling of warm, deep ocean water along the coast of Antarctica and that this warm water has increased melting of floating ice shelves at the edge of the ice sheet.[12] An ocean model has shown how changes in winds can help channel the water along deep troughs on the sea floor, toward the ice shelves of outlet glaciers.[13] The exact cause of the changes in circulation patterns is not known and they may be due to natural variability. However, this connection between the atmosphere and upwelling of deep ocean water provides a mechanism by which human induced climate changes could cause an accelerated loss of ice from WAIS.[13] Recently published data collected from satellites support this hypothesis, suggesting that the west Antarctic ice sheet is beginning to show signs of instability.[4][14]
And the term was used by James Hansen of all people. So this must be complete bunkum, right? None of those FACTS have any bearing on the matter. Not at all. We're all too smart to be taken in by a con job like this. Right?

Last edited:
It's familiar because you and lot of deniallists lied your asses off about people there, got caught, and had to slink away in disgrace.

Are you still proud of that lying, or do you feel some regret over it? After all, now people just assume everything you and the denialists say is a lie, unless independent evidence shows otherwise. In hindsight, do you think flushing your reputations like that was a wise move?

:lol::lol::lol: Sure we did.... What a fool.

An astounding number of content-less posts in a row from the DENIALIST camp.

Were you guys aware that the land underneath the West Antarctic Peninsula (ie, the bottom of the ice sheet) is below sea level?

But there's really no need to worry. Look! Here, in the Wikipedia article on the Antarctic Ice Sheet, you will find the term "tipping point":

Potential collapse

Large parts of the WAIS sit on a bed which is below sea level and slopes downward inland.[A] This slope, and the low isostatic head, mean that the ice sheet is theoretically unstable: a small retreat could in theory destabilize the entire WAIS leading to rapid disintegration. Current computer models do not include the physics necessary to simulate this process, and observations do not provide guidance, so predictions as to its rate of retreat remain uncertain. This has been known for decades.[citation needed]
In January 2006, in a UK government-commissioned report, the head of the British Antarctic Survey, Chris Rapley, warned that this huge west Antarctic ice sheet may be starting to disintegrate. It has been hypothesised that this disintegration could raise sea levels by approximately 3.3 metres (10 ft).[8] (If the entire West Antarctic Ice Sheet were to melt, this would contribute 4.8 m to global sea level.)[9] Rapley said a previous Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report that played down the worries of the ice sheet's stability should be revised. "I would say it is now an awakened giant. There is real concern." [5]
Rapley said, "Parts of the Antarctic ice sheet that rest on bedrock below sea level have begun to discharge ice fast enough to make a significant contribution to sea level rise. Understanding the reason for this change is urgent in order to be able to predict how much ice may ultimately be discharged and over what timescale. Current computer models do not include the effect of liquid water on ice sheet sliding and flow, and so provide only conservative estimates of future behaviour." [10]
James E. Hansen, a senior NASA scientist and leading climate expert, said the results were deeply worrying. "Once a sheet starts to disintegrate, it can reach a tipping point beyond which break-up is explosively rapid," he said.[11]
Polar ice experts from the U.S. and U.K. met at the University of Texas at Austin in March, 2007 for the West Antarctic Links to Sea-Level Estimation (WALSE) Workshop. The experts discussed a new hypothesis that explains the observed increased melting of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. They proposed that changes in air circulation patterns have led to increased upwelling of warm, deep ocean water along the coast of Antarctica and that this warm water has increased melting of floating ice shelves at the edge of the ice sheet.[12] An ocean model has shown how changes in winds can help channel the water along deep troughs on the sea floor, toward the ice shelves of outlet glaciers.[13] The exact cause of the changes in circulation patterns is not known and they may be due to natural variability. However, this connection between the atmosphere and upwelling of deep ocean water provides a mechanism by which human induced climate changes could cause an accelerated loss of ice from WAIS.[13] Recently published data collected from satellites support this hypothesis, suggesting that the west Antarctic ice sheet is beginning to show signs of instability.[4][14]
And the term was used by James Hansen of all people. So this must be complete bunkum, right? None of those FACTS have any bearing on the matter. Not at all. We're all too smart to be taken in by a con job like this. Right?

Hmmmm...... If it's BELOW sea level, where could it possibly go?:eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

The displacement of tens of millions of Americans is why that is just off base.
They have plenty of time.

Do they? How long did it take to build the cities and other coastal structures they currently inhabit? How much did it COST? And WHERE will you move them to? It's not as if the US interior is a bit empty wilderness. And we're not just talking about the US. This is a good portion of the world you've got to move.

You sound as though these people that live where they would need to move are incapable of moving themselves. And oh by the way, this isn't going to happen overnight, if it happens at all......I'm sure we'll find a way to deal with it.

The interesting part about this whole AGW that all the chicken littles are squawking about, is how do we know that given the doubling of the earth's population over the past 70 years isn't the primary culprit? And that this change that is happening has not happened before? What may happen that may push us back to an ice age within the next 50 years?

There are more active volcanoes erupting right now than in the past recorded 100 years of history. How do we know this isn't the earth just going through a normal cycle that is undetectable in all the ice cores, tree rings, geographic samples that we are currently using to predict this catastrophe?

Sea level has matched temperature since 1690 at least
Jerejeva_1700.jpg

7.8" since 1880 out of 11"(280mm) since 1760.

140mm of it since 1940...So over half of the sea level raise of the past 250 years has been since 1940.

73 years...

Last edited:

By the time today's preschoolers are babysitting their grandkids, global sea levels are likely to be pushing 2 feet higher than they are now and on the way to topping 8 feet above current levels by the year 2200, according to a new study.

The finding stems from geologic evidence that allowed scientists to tease apart a natural background pattern of how fast and how high sea levels rose as ice ages came and went over the past 2 million years.

Today's pace of sea level rise is about twice as fast compared to historical standards, the team concluded. Going forward, seas will be pushed higher as rising temperatures force the great ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica to disintegrate, glaciers around the world to retreat toward mountaintops, and warming ocean waters to expand, the study notes.

"We have awoken a sleeping giant," Eelco Rohling, a climate scientist at the Australian National University in Canberra, told NBC News in an email. "He is now here to stay." To stand a chance at halting the rise and preserving today's coastal cities, he added, "We must virtually immediately take measures of carbon reduction."

Melting ice a 'sleeping giant' that will push sea levels higher, scientist says - NBC News.com

When I was sitting in elementary school 35 years ago I was told this same bullshit. Well guess what, New York is not underwater, Reagan didn't destroy the planet and we're not out of oil. The sky isn't falling, find a new hobby.

Sea level has matched temperature since 1690 at least
Jerejeva_1700.jpg

WOW you just proven that AGW is bunk!

Good for you!

Conservatives are so anti-science that you truly don't even have to think.

more energy within the ocean= higher sea levels. Energy as temperature is of course notable for atmospheric temperature = conservative whining.

Over half of the raise of sea levels since 1940(73 years), 140 mm out of 280mm (11")since 1760 is somehow bunk.

1880 we have seen nearly 7.8"...

honestly, I don't believe in 6' by 2100 as I am a luke warmer and there's nothing suggesting that is going to happen. I believe we will have 9 to 12" more inches by 2100.

By the time today's preschoolers are babysitting their grandkids, global sea levels are likely to be pushing 2 feet higher than they are now and on the way to topping 8 feet above current levels by the year 2200, according to a new study.

The finding stems from geologic evidence that allowed scientists to tease apart a natural background pattern of how fast and how high sea levels rose as ice ages came and went over the past 2 million years.

Today's pace of sea level rise is about twice as fast compared to historical standards, the team concluded. Going forward, seas will be pushed higher as rising temperatures force the great ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica to disintegrate, glaciers around the world to retreat toward mountaintops, and warming ocean waters to expand, the study notes.

"We have awoken a sleeping giant," Eelco Rohling, a climate scientist at the Australian National University in Canberra, told NBC News in an email. "He is now here to stay." To stand a chance at halting the rise and preserving today's coastal cities, he added, "We must virtually immediately take measures of carbon reduction."
Melting ice a 'sleeping giant' that will push sea levels higher, scientist says - NBC News.com

When I was sitting in elementary school 35 years ago I was told this same bullshit. Well guess what, New York is not underwater, Reagan didn't destroy the planet and we're not out of oil. The sky isn't falling, find a new hobby.
Word

Word

No one ever forecasted new York to be underwater by 2013.
Reagan or any president before him could of sparked a nuclear war. You really think this wasn't possible?
Thank the shale oil and new tech. Thank a scientist!

Lastly, Why don't you go to take a college course in science???? smarty pants.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back